Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on June 25, 2012
It's fairly difficult for me to become impressed with most pocket knives. Having purchased several knives from various manufacturers, the quality to price ratio doesn't always add up. Some of the less expensive knives proved not worth spending the money on. The more expensive ones didn't always perform well as mid-priced models. So far I have only found the Mora knives and Cold Steel lite series to be inexpensive yet well worth the investment. When it comes to folders,I have purchased models from a lot of companies. Usually end up carrying the Cold Steel due to durablitiy. The Ka-abr Zombie Mule was howwever a plesant surprise. This really doesn't have the look and feel of a tactical knife (whatever that's supposed to be). The Ka-Bar Mule is just a good solid knife that is quite versatile. A working man's knife. None of the high price, big name endorsements, or fancy design. Just gets the job done well. And I like the green handles. Easy to find the knife if /when I put it down. If you are looking for an affordable knife that is good for utility work (inluding self-defense) the Mule is a fine choice.
on January 7, 2014
I absolutely love this knife. Ive bought a countless number of knives over the years, different sizes, styles, functions, etc. and this is by far my favorite. It's an amazing quality knife, always stays sharp, and never fails to get the job done. I will forewarn you, if you are looking for a lightweight knife, this is not the one for you, as this knife weighs in just under half a pound. But if that's not something that will bother you, then I highly recommend this. I will certainly buy ka-bar from here on out. Product was delivered in a very timely manner as well.
on August 2, 2012
I ordered the Ka-Bar Zombie Mule because I wanted a true workhorse knife that I could find if I mislaid it somewhere. Boy did I get what I wanted. Great knife, came razor sharp with a nylon sheath setup for both vertical and horizontal carry. The handles on the knife are VERY large but once the knife is open and locked it feels more like you are holding a fixed blade hunter than a lockblade knife. No wiggle or play in the blade, everything locks up tight, and the knife is just SOLID. No wonder they call it a mule!
on January 10, 2014
I had read every review about this knife, but nobody would say if they had batoned with it. Batoning is the process of setting the edge on a log, and then hitting the back of the blade to chop through the log in order to craft smaller pieces of firewood from the log. I was very curious about this because it is one of the hardest functional things you can do to a knife, and I wanted to learn it's quality.

Of course, this is not the first knife I would choose for bushcrafting, but in California, sometimes there are places where you can not take a full-tang knife without open-carrying it for the world to see. A large, folding, almost-as-strong-as-a-full-tang knife that you can legally hide, definitely has it's applications while taking advantage of a loop-hole in CA knife laws. It would also be great while travelling abroad to places where you don't want to wave a knife in everyone's face, yet still want self-defense and a survival knife. I plan on taking this with me while visiting my wife's family in the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. See what I mean? However, if I'm going backpacking, and I know I'm going to be preparing firewood, I will always reach for my favorite knife; the full-size Ka-Bar Fighting/Utility knife.

As for batoning, it peformed very well. I was testing this on a recently cut log that had no prior time to dry or become brittle. Recent cut logs are the hardest. I didn't outright abuse the knife, but I chopped off a few hand-sized chunks of wood with little effort. The edge held very well, and there was no knife-play whatsoever afterwards. In contrast to a youtube review, I had no problems with the excellent finish on this blade. After I wiped the dirt off with a damp cloth, it was as good as new! The edge was as sharp as if I had never used it! Batoning would have been more effective had the blade been one inch longer, however. It would have been like a folder equivalent to my awesome SOG Seal Pup Elite.

I tried to replicate an issue I had seen on a youtube video in which a guy smacks the back of the blade on something and the lock pops loose. I was not able to replicate this. Still with no knife-play, still with no scratches on the finish.

Ka-Bar advertised this as a folder that performs as well as a full-tang, fixed blade knife. I don't believe this will ever be possible, but I believe this knife comes close. While the Mule has gone through some growing pains in which there have reportedly been "bad batches", I think Ka-Bar finally got it right with the Mule. This is a great knife, especially for the money.

This will be my #3 knife. My first, when I know I will be chopping wood during backpacking, will always be the full-size ka-bar. The second, when survival may be a possibility on long hikes, will usually be my SOG Seal Pup Elite. The third, though, when survival may be a possibility but I don't want everyone to know I have it, will be the Ka-Bar Mule.
on January 2, 2016
hey all julie`s husband here. i cant say anything more about this knife than what youve read on other reviews.it truly is a razor sharp day-glow tank! but what i really want to comment on is the sheath. i have never seen this much thought put into a sheath for a folder. horizontal,vertical, left,right side carry with velcro and snaps on both the retaining flap and belt loops! i think the mule just might be replacing the dpx hest in my bushcraft kit.
on December 25, 2012
My wife just bought me this for Christmas, and I am pleasantly surprised! This knife is pretty large, but feels very sturdy in the hand. The folding action is smooth, and the blade locks up super tight, with NO wobble at all! The Zytel handle is solid, and has nice rubber inserts, for better grip. The AUS 8A blade, while not an exotic steel, is really corrosive resistant, and will sharpen to a razors edge with ease. Under normal use, it should hold the edge for a decent amount of time as well. This knife is not only very well made, but is just really cool! It's fun to look at, and is an attention grabber! I love the bright green handles, and biohazard logo! On top of ALL THIS it came with a bad a$$ MOLLE compatible sheath, and itself is super well made! Just do yourself a favor, and buy this knife! It holds true to the Ka-Bar name..
review image
on November 20, 2014
This is good sized, balanced knife. I have several and always wanted to get a Ka-Bar brand. This guy is made in Japan, check out the manufactures website for additional details. Be aware they also have versions made in China that are not as good quality. The sheath that comes with this guy is made in China, hopefully the snap doesn't tear off with extended use, time will tell. Overall good knife and not too expensive. Color is nice so I can find it quickly and if "walks away" not many folks have this so hopefully I will know who took it!
on June 21, 2015
Update:
After extended use, this knife began to show vertical play in the blade. The lock still held strong and the knife remained as tough as I could have asked for. However, the play began to get worse to the point where it was distracting and when trying to perform more delicate work, I was not able to have the kind of control over the blade that I needed. I stopped using it.

I will allow for there to be a slip through in quality control, it happens. I would also take into consideration that over time I may became more and more confident in the knife to the point of over working it.

In the end I think that you get what you pay for and I did. IT's not a bad knife but keep in mind that it may not hold up to the riggors that some of the other reviewers put it through.

Original Review:
This knife is about trade offs. It is super heavy for a folder but that gives it a lot of heft for cutting and batoning. At times I feel like this is just a tiny machette. Its rubber grips make it hard to take in and out of your pocket but it never leaves your hand while in use and if you keep it in the sheath there is no problem with your pocket. The color is obnoxious and far from tactical but that makes it easy to find when you set it down or lose it. The AUS 8 steel is tough and holds its edge well under punishment but is not so hard as to be brittle or difficult to sharpen. It burs before it chips which is a huge deal to me. It allows you give it the business and still have a knife when you are done. It comes with a flat grind, razor sharp out of the box. Flat grinds are less efficient at cutting but are significantly easier to sharpen especiall in the field. The lock back is somewhat inconvenient in terms of quick folding but they are also more sturdy. Some have had the problem of this lock failing on them, I have not had that problem. So I think that you may just have to risk it. The pay off is worth it.

Everything about this knife is designed to be a reliable, utilitarian and durable folder. So far this has been a knife that I would trust as my last knife in the world. I use it for all things: chopping, splitting, cutting, slicing, scraping, carving, food prep, yard work, box cutting, etc. It is simple and straight forward.
on April 18, 2013
The weight and feel of this knife is perfect. The grip fits comfortably in your hand and the blade is very sharp. I wish it didn't say "made in Taiwan" right on the blade but oh well.

I recommend this knife.
on July 19, 2013
This is an all around awesome knife. I purchased six of these for the guys in my wedding party, and they were a hit. They are a good sized knife, but still something you can carry around in your pocket. They're very sharp, and very well made. No loose pins or screws or anything. Blade does not wobble. Also, the green/black color configuration is awesome, and the black anodized blade means it can be easily inscribed, should you so desire!