Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Size: 77 mmChange

on November 27, 2007
If you have quality glass, like the Canon L series, then you need quality filters. the B+W are made from ground optical glass, not a piece of plain glass like as you see in the tiffen and hoyas filters (even the expensive ones are still cheap grade glass). Only B+W and Heliopan put the time and $$ into making filters that are designed to be used with your quality lenses and not distort and reduce the optical quality of them. I have 2 MRC, 1 Kaesemann, and 1 "plain" or Normal one, and I love them. I have a Heliopan as well, and I prefer the B+W a little bit more as its a brass ring and not aluminum and thus does not bind up as easy, and thats important when you want to change filters quickly! If you use a cheap filter on a pro grade lens, you are wasting your money, on the lens and the filter as the filter just hurt your image quality, and thus you lowered the quality of your lens! In filters, like lenses, you get what you pay for!!!

I shoot in all kinda of weather conditions, from sunny and warm, to windy and cold or snowy, and I have never had any major issues with any of my B+W filters acting up! I prefer the MRC or even the Kaesemann over the entry level one, but even their entry level one is ground glass, so you still get a great quality filter at that price point.
11 comment26 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2010
I'm highly impressed with the quality and effective results of this polarizer. Saturated the blue skies as they should be, removes most of the reflection from water surfaces and glass (best when used at a glazing angle of approx 10-15 deg). I've shot a pic. with a 15mm fisheye and this polarizer hand held in front it. You can see it in the picture section. The difference between the polarized section of the filter and the non-polarized sections is so clear. You can even see the pebbles in the water thru. the polarizer. Also check out the difference in the sky color between the polarized and non-polarized sections.
I'm a hobbyist and like this product for what it does. Worth every penny. Yeah.. i know.. it's too expensive... Appropriat price for something like this should be below $100, even for a 77mm. The manufacturer makes a huge markup on this. But then, B&W quality speaks for itself. Guess.. that extra money spent once is worth it. Just buy it and then forget about the price... though I haven't been able to forget it till now. ;-)))
review image review image review image review image
22 comments9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2012
[Vignetting Effect]
I bought this filter for my Canon wide angle lens (17-40mm), which is used on a full frame camera (Canon 5D Mark II). One of my main concerns is the vignetting effect on wide angle lens. I am glad that it does not present on this filter.

Vignetting effect, or dark corners, is a common problem if you use a regular/non-slim UV filter on a full frame camera. I found that the dark corners start showing up at 30mm or below with my Hoya UV filter. So this problem is not limited to wide angle lens only.

While I was researching the problem, I found that the slim filter will solve this problem. However, many people complain about the narrow thread problem of the B+W slim filter. It is hard to snap the lens cap (very loose) and many people ended up loosing their lens caps. Therefore, I decided to give this filter a try. I am glad that I've made an excellent decision. The vignetting effect does not present at all!

Here are the lens I've tested on Canon 5D Mark II, and the vignetting effect is zero. Notice that I attach the filter directly onto the lens (i.e., there is no UV filter in between the lens and the UV filter):

Canon 17-40mm F/4 L
Canon 70-200mm F/4 L IS (via step-up ring)
Canon 28-135mm (via step-up ring)

FYI, I found that the difference between with and without this filter on Canon 70-200mm F/4 L IS is quite small. Unless it is necessary (e.g., I want to get rid of the reflection from the window), otherwise I don't use this filter with this lens.

[Cleaning]
Some reviewers said that it is not easy to clean this filter. Personally I haven't experienced this problem. I found that it is very easy to clean this filter.

Overall, I highly recommend this filter if you are using an ultra wide angle lens.
on March 3, 2008
I just received this polarizer in the mail today and I am blown away by its effectiveness. This is the first polarizer I've ever owned so I'm not an expert, but I think it is definitely worth the price. I will upload some photos for demonstration.

The polarizer itself feels extremely solid and well-built, and looks beautiful for what it's worth. It is extremely easy to use, and fun to experiment with. The rotating ring spins very smoothly.

I highly recommend this product for any photographer, especially if you do landscape photography. I think it is a terrific investment.
review image review image
0Comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2013
Superior glass, heavy duty brass frame, and nicely damped action, but be careful when handling. The moving parts of this filter contain oil, which is good for the moving parts that slide aginst each other. It assures that the parts will have very little wear over a long period of time. Unfortunately the oil is also present at the end of the camera side threads. If you touch the oil and inadvertently touch the glass, you will have quite a time trying to get it off. This filter's multi-resistant coating isn't very resistant to this oil.

Removing the oil from the glass will take multiple cleanings with an alcohol based lens cleaner. Don't try submerging the filter in clean water because this will wash more of the oil and other fine particles from the metal which will deposit, guess where, on the glass. I think the best solution is to carefully wipe the oil from the exterior surfaces right away before using the filter, good luck.
on November 21, 2008
Buy this B&W Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with confidence. Remember the old saying, you get what you pay for. There is nothing else on the market that even comes close to this Quality & nothing else to ad to the description of this High Quality Filter that others haven't already mentioned. Simply the best Filter money can buy!
on April 15, 2010
Once you have spent big money on a lens, DO NOT SCRIMP on the filters. B&W is the highest quality I have seen and I no longer buy any filters other than B&W.

The polarizing filter is a must have for a photographer. It brings down glare and brings up the color in the sky. On days where the sky is boring, SOMETIMES this filter can save a shot. It stops down your light by about 2 stops. I use it with a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens for Canon DSLR Cameras

The Kaesemann is recommended as it is weather sealed. If you have a lens that is not weather sealed this helps, and if you have a lens that is, this just adds another level of protection.

The brass fitting of the B&W makes it easy to screw on and unscrew. Some other filters tend to bind, I have never had this problem with the B&W.

I have never owned the Hoya, but through the lens it is VERY similar (no preference), but I have heard good things. Still, I will never buy any filter other than a B@W.

Highly Recommended.
on March 10, 2012
When it comes to filters you can either buy a few cheap filters and hope that they're up to standard OR you can just bite the bullet right away and buy from a reputable brand. Having experimented with cheaper filters at the store or with friends' gear, I feel that you end up spending the same amount anyway and you really never get a great quality from low-cost filters anyway.

I have the Hoya 52mm Digital-HMC Circular Polarizer Multi Coated Pro 1 Extra Thin Glass Filter leftover from my film SLR days. While it is a good filter from a decent brand and given it's not in the same price range as the Kaesemann, it's shouldn't be compared. All that being said, it does not hold a candle the Kaesemann polarizer. When I twist the Hoya around you can see the polarizing effect. Glare is reduced and some color pops but with the Kaesemann, wow! At the same angle, viewing the same object, the Kaesemann eliminates a lot more glare or reflection and the colors are much deeper.

I can't really find anything wrong with polarizer. For a filter it has some heft to it but nothing really noticeable. The build quality is great. Unlike the Hoya which is a thin glass filter, the metal ring is much thicker you have a bit more room around the metal ring to twist the glass (and not get any fingerprints on the glass itself). Having a thick metal ring does pose some concern for vignetting. However, I have the 58mm size polarizer and I'm able to use it on my Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Lens for EOS Digital SLR Rebel XT, XTI, 20D & 30D Digital Cameras,Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras and Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras without any vignetting issues.

This filter does put a fair dent into one's wallet. However if you really want the polarizer effect in your photography, this is the way to go. Highly recommended. No regrets so far.
on January 5, 2012
If you are big into optics and photography, then you may know the reputation of Schneider Optics. They manufacture some fantastic glass and apply wonderful coating to give you exactly what you want without degrading your image. I've used cheaper filters in the past but they all fall short of the performance of B+W. The construction is a solid brass ring with Schott glass.

Sure this lens is a bit prices but do you want to polarize your incoming light or not?! This lens has impressed me over and over with how well it eliminates undesired reflections and perpendicular rays. Skies are bluer, foliage is greener, rocks have more earthy tones; there is so much that is possible with this filter.

Highly recommended.
on July 30, 2011
Until now I had only used relatively inexpensive polarizers such as those from Tiffin.

While the mid cost ones are not that bad, this one seems much more refined with significantly less light loss and better blocking of specular reflections. (Though I haven't tried putting each one on the camera to see what the exposure meter says.) You will find this filter to be significantly better than the mid quality ones and below, but whether or not it's worth the money is pretty much only going to be about how large of a percentage of your budget it consumes and if that amount is too much.

If you've never used a polarizer before I would say skip this and buy one of the cheaper ones (Tiffin is a good brand) and use that for a while. Then if/when you upgrade to this one you will be able to appreciate the difference and understand what you're getting for the money.

Polarizing filters are absolutely essential for outdoor photography and this one is excellent. If you don't buy this one then at least buy one of some sort, unless maybe you absolutely never take photos outdoors. Whatever you do though, don't buy some < $10 filter off of eBay or something; that's worse than throwing your money away as you'll damage the quality of your once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity photos.