Slim or Regular B+W Kaesemann Filter? Does anyone have advice or an opinion on this regular Kaesemann Circular Polarizer vs. the SLIM version which is roughly the same price? This would be used primarily with my everyday (mid-range) lens (90% of my shots) which is a Canon 24-105mm. I assume the SLIM version is important for wide-angle lenses, but not sure if it makes a difference for my mid-range lens.
asked by J. Miller on August 5, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 answers
A
I've owned both the Polarizer and 010M filter for the Canon 24-105 MM and can guarantee you will see vignetting at 24mm with the Polarizer and a slight darkening with the 010M (UV) filters. The slim filters are the way to go if you're going to be shooting anything at below 28mm. The B&W site goes into a bit more detail on what length vignetting becomes an issue but in my experiments with the 24-105 anything below 35mm using the Polarizer will vignette. If you're not planning on stacking filters (which is generally a bad idea with L glass anyway) I'd go with the thin filters and just change them out as needed. I leave the Slim Polarizer on my 17-40 mm about 85% of the time.
warhammerjunkeee answered on February 14, 2013
Comments (2) | 11 of 13 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You're better off asking questions like this in a forum, like photographyonthenet . com. I don't own either the slim nor the regular version, but have been saving for the latter. From what I've read, you need to consider a couple of different things: are you shooting on a crop sensor or FF? The 24-105 is an excellent lens, and will have absolutely no vignetting at the widest focal length. If you were to use the reg. version on say, the 10-22, where IQ isn't paramount, you might find some vignetting. The slim version takes care of most of this, but then you have to deal with that PITA rubber cap. My money says get the Wider version on a crop sensor for sure and suffer the occasional minor consequence, and split decision on the FF. For convenience sake, I'd still probably opt for the wider version. Your call.
Ak Dev answered on July 9, 2010
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have the slim and find it more difficult to work with because it is smaller and you cannot use your regular lens cap . . . the included lens cap simply slips on and . . . so . . . easily falls off.
Royce Crane answered on October 30, 2013
Comment | 4 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product