5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but MAKE SURE to read this before ordering
Published on September 21, 2010 by obsessive quilter

2.0 out of 5 stars Not For Me
This book isn't for me. It is not that this is a poor book, but it is too "loud" for my tastes. If you like a more "country" feel to your quilts then this book will not please you. The designs are pleasing, but I would change the colors radically. Just one woman's opinion.
Published on December 5, 2010 by BettyGee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but MAKE SURE to read this before ordering, September 21, 2010
This review is from: Kaffe Fassett's Quilts en Provence: Twenty Designs from Rowan for Patchwork and Quilting (Paperback)
Terrific book, like all of Kaffe's books. BUT be careful when ordering -I originally ordered from Amazon and the text turns into French out of nowhere. I read french pretty well, BUT quilts are hard enough to make even when the instructions are in your native language! Amazon quickly issued a postage label and refund. I proceeded to buy the book directly from Glorious Color because I was able to e-mail them and make sure all their copies are in English. You can probably contact some of the marketplace sellers on amazon to check on the copies.

So, now to the contents: The photos of Provence are incredible and a wonderful backdrop for the quilts. I have all of Kaffe's and Liza's quilting books and especially like how this one was laid out with lovely photos of the fabrics in the front of the book. I have always found their instructions to be easy to follow and the format for these seems the same, although I haven't made any of the quilts yet.

The quilts are beautiful, as always. I especially like the panel quilts and find them not as "busy" and a nice alternative for those who have found some of the other quilts to have too much pattern ( I happen to like the "busy" ones!). There is a quilt by Liza depicting the patchwork quilt in the painting of Kaffe's she bought years ago which prompted their collaboration. It was fun to go back to their first book and look at the painting next to her depiction of the quilt. Many of the other wonderful designers in their other books have also designed for this book - Pauline Smith, Mary Mashuta to name a few. And probably my favorite part is the feature with Philip Jacobs. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about his design process and how he has adapted his talent and skill as a botany artist to bring us the incredible fabrics in the Kaffe collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Parlez Vous Francais? Amazon Customer Service to the Rescue!, September 24, 2010
Like all of Kaffe Fassett's books, this is a visual feast for the eyes, with lots of eye-popping color and pattern. Unfortunately, as another reviewer mentioned, pages 97-112 are in French (perhaps the French edition has those pages in English). However, Amazon's customer service is excellent and they provided me with a free return label. I hope to reorder this book, once the printing issue has been resolved.

Only four stars, instead of five, because Liza Prior Lucy, Kaffe's coauthor, is still designing with templates instead of using rotary cutting techniques. Liza, wake up!

I want to mention that I also notified Taunton Press, the book's publisher, about the printing error and they also offered to let me return the book at no cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Text is all English, February 21, 2011
The book is full of inspiration for quilters and a good overview of Kaffe's fabrics. My copy is all in English; there is no French text as previous reviewers reported.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must have' for any quilter's library, January 18, 2011
KAFFE FASSETT'S QUILTS EN PROVENCE: 20 DESIGNS FROM ROWAN FOR PATCHWORK AND QUILTING provides a fine survey of complete instructions for creating museum-quality quilts based on Fassett's line of Rowan fabrics. Designed by some of the world's top quilters, this packs in directions for creating each and includes tips and techniques representing three decades of experience: a 'must have' for any quilter's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tres Bien, November 16, 2010
The most doable collection of Fassett's gorgeous quilts. Pages 96-114 are in French. Loved it anyway. Gorgeous fabrics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quilt Book, December 25, 2013
Love the way the Kaffe Fassett quilts are shown in all his books. Not only do they show off the quilt but the settings stimulate my mind for creating my versions of his quilts. The patterns are always easy to follow. This is one of my favorites of his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful different take on quilting designs (from somebody who is just starting with quilting), March 28, 2011
I hestitated for a long time to start quilting, although it has been on the back of my mind for years. I needed something that could kickstart my creative outlet, which the more traditional books or designs on quilting could not. I would admire the crafts(woe)menship but would be depressed when I saw the play of designs and colour. I was simply not able to see beyond these issues due to inexperience in this art.
The designs I liked came from Japanese quilters who's books are not available in English (like most of the other awesome Japanese sewing books) and I was not creative enough to "translate" the old fashioned approach to something more contemporary.
When browsing for fabric for my 2000 (joking) other sewing projects I came across Kaffe Fasset Fabrics, which sparkled an immediate love affair. I "investigated" this awesome artist more and came across his books. Now I am madly in love.
This book is exactley what I have been looking for. The play between colour, prints and block designs is beautiful. I might not like all the quilts but it is something that gets me started to come up with my own designs and let me understand better the relation between colour and form. I am def. buying more books of him. Now I can only hope that Anna Maria Horner and Amy Butler release whole books on quilting too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous colors, November 23, 2010
The color in this book is outstanding, making me want to be in Provence. I have all of Kaffe's books and this one is outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars kaffe fasset at his best, July 24, 2014
great picture of some beautiful quilts and instructions for making some of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super great book, July 11, 2014