5.0 out of 5 stars Cooperative Learning Done Right
Published on June 27, 2001 by lmarmarmar

3.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you are purchasing the 2nd Edition!
Greetings,

I've been an educator for 11 years at the middle school level. Cooperative learning strategies are an invaluable part of a well rounded-classroom. I've used both Kagan and Tribes (by Jeanne Gibbs) in my years of teaching science in California public schools.

Personally, I prefer the Tribes program, as it has a much more comprehensive...
Published 17 months ago by Frederick Logan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooperative Learning Done Right, June 27, 2001
This review is from: Kagan Cooperative Learning (Perfect Paperback)
Have you ever wanted your students to do a group activity but you didn't know how to get started? Did you want to make sure the groups were compatible, diverse, and productive? Were you worried about how to assess group work and make sure that every group member was participating equally? Then you need this book! Kagan Cooperative Learning is a necessary tool for succcessful group work. This book and its components are so effective that school districts all over the country are adopting it as their main source for cooperative learning. As a teacher in a county that has done just that, I am very grateful to Spencer Kagan. Before this book (and the workshop), I was terrified to let my students do group work. Now, though, I have the most useful tool I have ever owned and my students do group work succesfully and very often. Some of the things you will learn from this book include: how to form groups (randomly, homogeneously, and heterogeneuosly), activities for establishing group rapport, how to assign effective and well-defined roles to each group member, teaching social skills, ensuring equal participation and positive interdependence, and how to assess work. I highly encourage every teacher to get this book. Just keep your eye on it because your colleagues will want it for their own!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Cooperative Learning Easy, March 25, 2000
Maribeth Dann (Hermann, mo USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kagan Cooperative Learning (Perfect Paperback)
This book has drastically changed how I teach in my third grade classroom. All of the cooperative learning activities that Kagan outlines in this book are well researched and are easy to implement. These activities are great for any grade level, and my school has successfully used them with teachers at staff inservices and meetings. Through cooperative learning ideas outlined in this book my students have learned content in a way that builds social skills and self-esteem. All teachers should have this book on their desks at all times!

3.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you are purchasing the 2nd Edition!, July 31, 2013
Greetings,

Personally, I prefer the Tribes program, as it has a much more comprehensive philosophy in creating an inclusive culture of learning. Unfortunately, Kagan is a master of self-promotion.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from using the Kagan approach to cooperative learning, as it is highly effective (as a resource).

If you decide to purchase a copy online, make sure that you are getting the 2009 revised edition. Some of the used book sellers through amazon are confused as to which edition is being sold. The SECOND edition should have been updated 2009, not 1994. I've had several used book sellers write to me that they have the second edition, but it has been revised in 1994.

I've already purchased a copy from an Amazon seller, but received the 1st edition. One way of telling the difference is that the 1st edition has a different cover. The first edition has the title of "Cooperative Learning" Dr. Spencer Kagan. The revised edition has a title of "Kagan Cooperative Learning".

Make sure to ask the seller what is written on the front cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Teaching Resource, January 15, 2010
This review is from: Kagan Cooperative Learning (Perfect Paperback)
I received Kagan's Cooperative Learning as part of a Cedarville University grad course I took several years ago. The book is divided into four parts - cooperative learning theory, methods, lesson designs and beyond the classroom. Nearly half of the 24 chapters is devoted to cooperative learning methods. This is the section of the book that I have found most beneficial. I regularly use a number of the cooperative learning strategies with my students, and they enjoy them immensely. A couple of my colleagues have borrowed the book from me, and despite the steep price, I highly recommend purchasing it. Cooperative Learning is a big book that will provide you with scores of fun ideas that you can easily implement into your classroom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great info!, July 27, 2011
This review is from: Kagan Cooperative Learning (Perfect Paperback)
Kagan has given teachers a jam-packed toolbox of "structures" to use in our classrooms, but I wish he had organized his tools a bit better. I found the format to be quite unattractive, but the information was valuable enough to make me willing to root through the toolbox to find just the wrench, screwdriver, or file I needed.

1.0 out of 5 stars THE BOOK HAS TWO ISBN and they send the old one, March 8, 2014
This review is from: Kagan Cooperative Learning (Perfect Paperback)
THIS BOOK SHOWS THIS COVER AND HAS TWO DIFFERENT ISBN NUMBERS. I RECEIVED THE OLD EDITION, WHICH I SENT BACK WITHOUT THE OPPORTUNITY TO GET THE ONE THAT I REALLY WANTED, EDITION 2009. VERY BAD EXPERIENCE. You probably want -100 but they send -109. It happened to two more people in my class.
Publication Date: January 1, 2009 | ISBN-10: 1879097109 | ISBN-13: 978-1879097100 | Edition: 2nd

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reference but get trained., December 3, 2013
This review is from: Kagan Cooperative Learning (Perfect Paperback)
This book is a great reference but I would recommend some face to face training on the strategies and concepts .

4.0 out of 5 stars basic Kagan theories, October 31, 2013
maureen wheeler (ROBERTSVILLE, MO, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kagan Cooperative Learning (Perfect Paperback)
This was a required reading for teachers at our school so I was glad to get it at a reasonable price. Basic Kagan theory of cooperative learning which really works since students listen to each other more than teachers most days.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the correct book/edition/picture/isbn. The book I received was ..., October 25, 2014
This review is from: Kagan Cooperative Learning (Perfect Paperback)
Not the correct book/edition/picture/isbn. The book I received was an older book that was missing crucial new information. Very frustrating to receive this when your needing it for school and everything matches what your looking for until you receive it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Kagan Cooperative Learning (Perfect Paperback)
Fabulous book cover to cover! There are so many easy to implement resources to build cooperative learning in any classroom. Every teacher should have this book and use it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Kagan Cooperative Learning
Kagan Cooperative Learning by Spencer Kagan (Perfect Paperback - 2009)
Used & New from: $27.12