4.0 out of 5 stars Like it
Like the spikes. Work as described. Got fooled by the sizing chart and ordered a size too large, based on using with my snow boots. Order for your exact shoe size or smaller.
Published on January 24, 2010 by M. Rex

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but shadows in coverage are dangerous
I run on snowshoes, yaktrax and now Kahtoolas. While the Kahtoola microspikes are well made, easy to use and durable, they have a possibly fatal flaw. There is a significant and I feel dangerous hole in spike coverage in the center of the back of the heel.

Published on May 30, 2009 by Tripwire

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it, January 24, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent traction and light weight, December 11, 2010
I am an active hiker, and hike leader for outdoors organizations and I have owned the three major products for winter traction: Yaktrax, Stabilicers, and Microspikes. It seems that many people turn up on hikes with Yaktrax more than any other product because it seems to be more prominently displayed at stores that sell outdoors equipment. I recommend the Yaktrax if you have an occasional need for low-cost traction, such as walking down an icy driveway to get your mail. Yaktrax are poorly designed; basically it's a giant rubber band with a coiled spring around it. They slide around on your boot and I have seen people have theirs peel off in snow and not even realize it. I had one of the rubber bands snap after not that much use, rendering the product useless. People who bought Yaktrax Pro with the strap seem to have better luck. The rubber is more robust and the strap keeps the Yaktrax from sliding around or sliding off. I also own Stabilicers (the version with the strap over the boot) and have mixed feelings about them. Stabil-Icers have steel screws on the bottom, which provide amazing traction, far better than the Yaktrax, but I have wear issues with them as well. My Stabilicers lose screws on a regular basis, which is a safety hazard because you think you have traction, but you really don't. When I contacted Stabilicer about the issue, their response was, "Maybe it's time for a new pair." Mine did not have that much use on them, so that answer was unacceptable. I tried various glues to keep the screws in place, but none worked. The other disadvantage of Stabilicers (in the model that I have) is that they are heavy to carry in a pack when you don't really need them. Instead, I now use my Microspikes, which have excellent traction, and have worn well so far, but I do have concerns about the durability of the rubber where it holds the metal spikes. Microspikes are light, so they are easily carried in a backpack when you don't need them, but might encounter conditions on the trail where you do need them. With any of these traction devices, don't be put off by the cost. It's about the same price as a health insurance deductible for a trip to the emergency room!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but shadows in coverage are dangerous, May 30, 2009
Tripwire (Under the Big Sky, Montana) - See all my reviews

The first time I ran with them, all was well because there was a some fresh snow. But when I was running on icy surfaces (which these were designed for given the huge spikes), I was motoring along in blissful ignorance until I headed downhill heel-first. My leg shot out from under me since no metal came in contact with the ice. It scared me to death!

If you look at the pic here, you will easily see the dangerous hole in coverage.

To avoid slipping, I had to run downhill landing either flatfooted or on my toes to make sure I stick to the ground. Frightening.

I plan on modifying my kahtoolas with an extra wire pulling the chains closer together base of the heel like what was done at the toe.

I cannot believe that this hole in coverage was not addressed earlier. Unless of course, the primary users/designers don't really run on icy mountains but rather on flat crusty trails. Yet, given the huge spikes and aggressive appearance, it's too bad that the heel is so unprotected given that almost every step downhill lands on or near the heel. Oh, but uphill, these things scream.

But looking at the picture of the spikes while I write this, I wonder if I put them on backwards it would help since the extra wire connector at the toe was likely a fix from lack of coverage on that end of the shoe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Spikes!, February 8, 2010
This review is from: Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System (Sports)
These are a great addition for hiking in the winter. They hold up much better than the Yaks when it comes to hiking and running. I've been through two pairs of those because they break with heavy use. These are very easy to put on and give you great traction on ice and snow. I like to trail run and they work fine. Because they are much more aggressive in traction they aren't forgiving when you plant your foot. In other words your footing sticks and does not give at all. So, you do have to be careful and pick up your feet when walking. They aren't forgiving if you drag your feet at all. These wouldn't be my pick for regular walking around in light snow and ice because they would be over kill. The Yaks would still be my choice for taking the dog for a walk in the neighborhood, etc. Although you can run in these I tend to feel them more than the Yaks. They hurt a little bit vs. the Yaks don't when you run. But, I'd rather have these if I am hiking up a mountain trail in ice and snow. The price is pretty much the same everywhere, so that isn't an issue here. I havn't had any problems with them coming off. They have stayed on well for me so far.

A good purchase I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best traction device on the market, February 28, 2009
Easy to put on,easy to take off. Put them in your pocket. Forget about Yaktrax unless you are OK with broken springs. Kahtoolas are durable and they work like they should.You can walk on broken ground with them and the spikes hold up fine. Plus, I like the fashionable red color. Every gearhead hiker I know has these in their pack in the winter and wouldn't go anywhere without them. Mark these "Essential".

4.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate grippers in the winter, May 20, 2013
This review is from: Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System (Sports)
These are not the common snow/ice grippers you find in the local store during the winter season. The Kahtoola microspikes are rebust and deep, provides very good traction on snow and ice. I use these every winter when I'm out shoveling or walking on ground that can be slippery. With these, I am not scared of each step.

What made me buy these were an injury to my wife, one year, she slipped on top of concrete stairs in front of an commercial building entrance that was neglected and not salted, tumbled down the concrete stairs, injuring her sciatic nerve and nearly paralyzing her lower body. When that accident hit close to home and we witnessed the after effects of it, we decided to be more careful. You can go through your whole life without a serious fall but if a serious fall does occur, it can change your life drastically. This opened our eyes and we would be foolish to not do anything to avoid it if possible, going forward.

Please click YES if my review have been helpful to you, it will encourage me to continue writing and updating my reviews, and leave a comment if you have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer if I can be of help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Effective, November 30, 2012
This review is from: Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System (Sports)
I bought these for a trip to Mount Marcy in the Adirondack Mountains in mid-November, where we were expecting lots of ice on the mountain. We were not disappointed. About a 1/3 of the way through the ascent, we were starting to slip on the ice that was covering the majority of the trail, so we busted these bad boys out. From there on out, it was smooth sailing... traction was no longer even a thought in the back of our minds. These things really are remarkable, and I can't find a thing to complain about with them. If it ever snows here in Ohio again (like it always used to, in the winter), I'm sure I'll get more use out of them on those dark cold mornings when I need to shovel the driveway, and I'll certainly be packing them for any future winter hikes!

One note about sizing. If you look at their size chart, for hiking boots, Medium size is marked for men's 7-10.5 and Large size for men's 10.5-14 when sizing for hiking boots. I happen to wear a size 10.5. I ordered the Medium size first, hoping to fit them over my hiking boots (Treksta Assault Goretex), and when I received them, found them to only just barely reach around the back of my outsole. I thought this might be the case, and had allowed for enough time to order the Large to replace them (and I gave my Medium set to my friend (size 9 men) who would be joining me on the aforementioned trek). The Large fit much better around my hiking boot, which I would describe as a heavy trekking (but not insulated) boot. Just an fyi for anyone who may fall right between the sizing cracks. Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Spikes, December 9, 2010
I bought these spikes to attempt to run in snowy conditions, as every winter I am forced to train indoors on a treadmill. They were easy to put on and take off. Felt surprisingly light. Excellent traction on snow and ice. The side parts where the metal hooks in did catch on my ankles a few times while running, but I just adjusted and was more careful to extend my gait. All in all, a really great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars freakin awesome!, November 20, 2011
I am a backpacker, runner, hiker and walker, I work in icy conditions outdoors and I hike a lot in Grand Canyon.

The Microspikes are the best thing I have found for packed snow / ice traction, period. They are more expensive than some of the other things on the market, but are a PROFOUNDLY superior product, as evidenced by the bits and pieces of broken Yaktrax and other cheapo traction devices I find all over the Grand Canyon trails in the Winter. The 2011 model Microspike has a two year warranty, and I will buy these if my old model ever breaks. I don't think anyone else even offers a warranty. Everything about the microspiks is total quality, while I've been nothing but disgusted with the crappiness of the other foot traction things out there. The metal on the Kahtoolas is all hardened stainless steel, the stretchy part is ridiculously durable and fast to put on and off, and they don't shift all over your foot, even when doing weird side-hilling stuff, or going up and down a lot.

I've worn my Microspikes on countless Grand Canyon hikes in Winter, walks to work and around town, and many long distance treks including the pacific crest trail, continental divide trail and sierra high route. I am increasingly leaving my "real" crampons at home on non-technical hikes because the microspikes have been so reliable. Freakin sweet.

5.0 out of 5 stars These work great!, March 27, 2010
I love these things! They really work great on my snow and ice packed trails here in the Wasatch Mountains of Northern Utah. I even jogged downhill in them and never slipped once!

Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System - Black Medium