4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite knives for (almost) every cutting job
I cook a lot, and good sharp knives are essential. Without them, food prep becomes needlessly tedious- so I will spend money on good knives. I already owned a few Komachi 2 knives and I really like them, so I was thrilled to pick this set up.

PROS:
Published on October 25, 2011 by B. Junkin-Mills

3.0 out of 5 stars Less than I'd hoped for...
I am learning to TRULY cook and have been using the same knives for about 20 years.. thought I could use new ones. Researched and thought these would be good to start off, not too expensive, but not cheap either. They require a good amount of pressure to cut, just not as sharp as I had hoped.
Published on March 25, 2012 by New Cook

4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite knives for (almost) every cutting job, October 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

PROS:
+ Komachi knives are VERY sharp. They go through almost anything (acorn squash, heavy cheeses, breads, chicken, etc) very easily. Be careful. I mean it. They are really REALLY sharp!
+ Excellent variety of knives (see breakdown below).
+ Brilliant colors. This is ostensibly to help you track which knife cut what but honestly each knife is different so you don't really need the color to help with that. But I love the colors because they add a nice bold splash to my kitchen.
+ Lightweight (both a pro and a con); your hand won't get tired while cutting.
+ Non-stick coating so food doesn't, well, stick.

CONS...ish:
- Lightweight. There are a FEW things they aren't quite heavy enough to cut easily (butternut squash, mochi, definitely pumpkin or bone). Not much of a con - also a pro! These Japanese style knives are meant to be lightweight.
- Handwashing recommended. Again, not much of a con -- I actually hand wash all my knives, and these clean up lickety split because of their coating.
- This set doesn't come with a block. But it doesn't say it does so I can't downgrade for that.

IN THE BOX:
* 4" tomato/cheese knife (so named because of the prong at the tip for picking up slices) in it's own little holder
* 4" citrus knife in it's own little holder. Serrated blade ostensibly for fruit cutting but I don't totally get the point of this one.
* 3 1/2" paring knife in it's own little holder. I use this one for all small veg chopping/dicing. It's too small for big onions though.
* 6" utility knife. This is smooth (for slicing) on half and serrated on half. It's great for meat / cutting fat, etc.
* 6 1/2" hollow ground Santoku knife. This is wicked sharp and useful. It cuts things very thin. It is so sharp it WILL cut tough things (eg butternut squash) but it's light so I still prefer to use a heavy (i.e. German steel) knife for that.
* 8" chef's knife. This is a versatile go-to knife that easily cuts through everything from meat to fruit to veg to cheese. I use it daily.
* 8" serrated bread knife
* 9" slicing knife. I use this one for carving up chickens/turkeys/roasts.

BOTTOM LINE:
8 piece, versatile, colorful knife set has almost every knife you could ever want. Thin flexible Japanese steel, wicked sharp, nice non-stick surface.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, December 31, 2011
This review is from: Kai Pure Komachi 2 8-Piece Knife Set (Kitchen)
I just received the knives a few days ago, so I cannot comment on long-term performance. I like how they perform so far. The knives are very sharp. After years of recklessly gouging and sawing food with dull knives, I will now need to learn to cut properly, out of sheer terror. The knives are lightweight, which is a plus for me, and the handles fit nicely in my small hands.

The vibrant colors do stand out a bit in my neutral kitchen, but I knew about the colors when I ordered the set and cannot complain. Just really think about this if you plan to keep your knives out in plain view.

I read reviews about the size of the clear holder that will accommodate this set of knives and decided it would be too big for my counter top. Plus, the holder seems expensive ordered separately. I know from reading several comments here that some take offense to reviewers pining for items that are not part of the product, but I'll say this anyway - it would be nice if sheaths/stands were provided for each of the knives in the set and not just the smallest knives. There. Just take it as one more plea to the makers to find a more palatable way to hold and display these knives. So many reviewers have essentially said these knives are great, but the holder... Just know that it might take some effort to find a way to store and/or display these sharp, pretty knives.

Amazon's page for this knife set indicates that customers buy this item with MIU France Stainless Steel Magnetic Knife Holder, 20-Inches by MIU France. So did I, but I don't see these two items having a long-lasting relationship. After one day of being mounted on the MIU magnetic holder, there are two faint lines on the backs of each knife exactly where the rim of the holder makes contact with the knives. One day! I haven't even used all the knives during that time, so this came from just mounting them gingerly on the holder. I'm not sure if this is more of a problem with the coating on the knives or if this MIU stainless steel holder is capable of scratching all knives mounted on it the same way. You wouldn't know it by all the 5 star reviews of the holder. I've never been a stickler about knives, but I would hate to ruin the beautiful coats on these knives like this. I'm taking one star off because the knives were marred so quickly and easily on a "good quality" holder, and I am concerned about the coating holding up long term. I will be searching for other holder options.

If you like the clear holder or you have found another solution to holding all of these knives safely, then just enjoy these effective, attractive, affordable knives.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy!, August 9, 2011
This review is from: Kai Pure Komachi 2 8-Piece Knife Set (Kitchen)
This was for a gift. A great knife for a great buy! Holds an edge for quite a while. Sharpens easy and fast. Bought some for myself and everyone who uses them wants at least one for themselves. Only downside is that you cannot use them on frozen foods.

5.0 out of 5 stars They might be the last knives you buy., November 7, 2011
The Straw Man "J.E. Hoppock" (Aloof October on April's Birthday) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The vivid, luscious and bright colors of these knives scream crayons or candy. They actually resemble the former and latter more than they resemble knives. Never fear however at the end of the day these knives can cut.....very well.

In this set there are eight knives by Komachi:

- 4-inch Tomato Knife
- 4-inch Citrus Knife
- 3-1/2-inch Paring Knife
- 6-inch Multi Utility Knife
- 6-1/2-inch Santoku Knife
- 8-inch Bread Knife
- 8-inch Chef's Knife
- 9-inch Slicing Knife

The knives are also (sort of) color coded, for instance the tomato knife is red and the citrus knife is yellow. As for sharpness, these knives are very, very sharp. I have used them for both vegetables and meat. I cut my cutting (pun intended) time in half. This is mainly due to the ergonomics of the handle and razor-sharp blade slicing takes half the time. I finely chopped a heart of celery very, very quickly and with good precision. I also cut up some raw and cooked chicken and again the accurateness of the blade(s) is amazing.

The maintenance of these knives is minimal:

- Hand wash and dry (it doesn't say not to use the dishwasher but it doesn't say to use it, so I will just hand wash)
- Do not cut anything frozen, meat or other substances
- Do not clean with harsh soaps or coarse cleaning pads

I am very pleased that I own these knives and am very interested in getting the holding case. So I can display these unique but astute kitchen tools. If nothing else having these knives on display are bound to spring up some interesting conversation in the kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price. High quality., October 27, 2011
SAM (Deep South) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Consider me a fan. My wife and I love this knife set. The color coding seems misplaced, but the edge, multiple knife shapes, and completeness of the knife styles... make this a great performing knife set.

I'll admit... I don't understand the color coding. Its much easier to simply remember the shape of a tomatoe knife, than it is to remember the associated color. And unfortunately, the 8 colors end up making the set look silly on a nice countertop. But thats my own opinion, based on my specific circumstances. We have a huge, formal kitchen... so you can understand how the introduction of a rainbow of knives doesn't really 'match' our environment.

Aside from the coloring (which many may LOVE), I haven't noticed any negatives. The knives arrive very sharp, and the variety of shapes provide ease to a wide selection of cutting activities.

This might be important for buyers... to know that the knives come individually packaged. That detail could prove important if you want to split up the set and give away individial knives as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars pretty colors mean danger !!, December 5, 2011
This review is from: Kai Pure Komachi 2 8-Piece Knife Set (Kitchen)
My better half was forever making me sharpen knives. After reading reviews on the sharpness of this product I got her a set. We both giggle each time we use them In amazement at the sharpness. They are attractive and color coded. They clean easily and are sharp. We purchased a magnetic strip to hold them so we wouldn't have to dig around In a drawer full of finger removers. They are so reasonably priced we bought another set as a gift for a relative who was admiring the knives.

3.0 out of 5 stars Less than I'd hoped for..., March 25, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp!, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Kai Pure Komachi 2 8-Piece Knife Set (Kitchen)
Ordered these for my wife for Christmas (2011). I was worried she might not like them, and hoped they would be sharp enough. One of her biggest complaints about her old knives is they just weren't sharp enough, even after sharpening them. Thank goodness these knives ARE! They come with sheaths for each knife, and you NEED them if you don't have a block. Some of these are like razor blades. Cutting just about anything is smooth and even. The colored coating on them seems to be a very sturdy finish. She's used them a lot already and we see no sign of the coating wearing off. Her favorite is the big butcher knife. You can roll this thing through celery, onions, just about anything and get smooth, even slices every time. Definitely a good buy, and worth the price advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, February 29, 2012
This review is from: Kai Pure Komachi 2 8-Piece Knife Set (Kitchen)
I got these knives as a present with the MIU France Stainless Steel Magnetic Knife Holder, 20-Inches. They both work great, and the knives are so pretty! I never realized how easy cutting an onion and through really thick carrots could be until I got these knives and not cheap bargain brand kits that lasted a year or two before the knives would come out of the handle. Definitely worth the buy. I was also happy this wasn't a block set with scissors a honing rod and steak knives. We really didn't need all that, we already have enough for the lower end sets we've purchased in the past. I've had these knives and use them regularly for about 2 months now and they're not showing any sign of dulling or wimping out yet. LOVE IT! if you're thinking about it, buy them! and if you want steak knives, buy them separately, it's worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome knives!, March 25, 2012
This review is from: Kai Pure Komachi 2 8-Piece Knife Set (Kitchen)
These knives arrived in one box, but each was in it's own separate packaging. They are all extremely sharp, but for the small yellow citrus knife, and the small red tomato knife; those two aren't as sharp as the others. These are very light knives, and the handles feel cheep compared to the quality of the blades, but we've had no problems with them yet. These knives are easy to use and easy to clean. I feel these knives are worth the money.

Kai Pure Komachi 2 8-Piece Knife Set