Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on October 1, 2009
I work at an AM Radio station where we need to monitor another station for the Emergency Alert System. Prior to purchasing the Kaito AN200, we had a powered tunable antenna which regularly gave us problems. This antenna has worked flawlessly since we installed it and for the first time, we've been able to clearly listen to the distant station in the shadow of our own tower. As a radio professional, I can highly recommend this antenna.
33 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 16, 2010
I'm a Ham Radio operator/enthusiast, and have been an avid AM 'DXer' for about 30 years now. So I know a thing or two when it comes to antennas. I bought the Kaito AN-200 to boost the AM reception on some of my smaller portable radios like the Kaito 1103, Radio Shack DX-399, Grundig G8, and Sangean ATS-818. The AN-200 works very well 'passively' (placing the AN-200 right up to and against the radios with no direct connection) with these radios, greatly enhancing signal strength and receivability of AM signals. Of course, with a direct connection (if your radio has an external antenna jack) to the AN-200, performance is even better. I was so impressed with how well this antenna works, I connected it directly to my higher-end Yaesu FRG-100 communications receiver so I could do some serious AM DXing. I am pulling in distant AM stations from over 500 to 1000 miles out (skip, not ground wave) with no problems. It should be noted that my radios and listening table are right underneath a large window on an upper floor, and you have to turn the antenna and tuning knob on this antenna in order to peak the signal (the AN-200 is slightly directional). No big whoop. All in all, I HIGHLY recommend this AM loop antenna!
33 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2009
I had a 100 foot long wire AM antenna previous to the Kaito, and it produced terrible interference and crosstalk on many stations. This Kaito antenna totally cured the problem. The stations come in without interference, and I am able to receive some stations that the long wire would not pull in. It's a minor inconvenience to have to rotate and tune the antenna for each station; the results are worth it. My only complaint is that the lead in wire is very short, about 3 feet. I extended it with a stereo headphone extension cable from Radio Shack, and it works fine, even with the extra length. If you're looking for an antenna to improve your AM radio reception, I would recommend that you try this one. It works better than I had hoped. Kaito AN-200 Tunable Passive AM Antenna
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2010
This AM loop antenna works great. You simply connect this to a AM radio without a loop antenna or your existing shortwave radio receiver using a stereo to stereo 1/8 jack connection on existing radios with a external antenna jack. The loop antenna works good in pulling in 10 watt low power AM stations in your local areas and distant skywave stations in North America and other parts of the world. My version covers 450 kHz to 1720 kHz while the specs say it covers just 530 kHz to 1710 kHz. I recommend this antenna as a great indoor antenna for someone who lives in apartment who cannot put up outdoor antennas for AM. They need to make one for use in Europe and other countries for the long wave bands and for DXer's worldwide that covers 145 kHz to 520 kHz. The noise level for this antenna is ok, but could be better, noise could be a factor in HD radio reception on AM. The unidirectional reception is good, it does provide a good null between 2 AM stations. The other antenna worked better in nulling and peaking in 2 different AM stations. It's a good antenna for AM DXing. I think this antenna will work good for HD radio AM reception.
on July 13, 2010
I would recommend this item to anyone that needs a good antenna for any AM radio they own or use. Once I connected the wire to my receiver and antenna I started picking up more stations than before I used this antenna on my receivers AM radio. some of the stations came in crystal clear and others still had static and other noise when tuned to a station and the knob is also a great feature on this product so you can make the signal stronger or weaker for each station you listen to. The only thing I can complain about with this antenna is that the wire that gets connected to the receiver/radio and antenna is too short and should be longer. Overall a great buy and worth what I paid for it.
on March 1, 2009
I live in a home with metal siding, so AM reception is not so good with the stock loop antenna that came with my receiver which was simply electrical wire wrapped around a plastic ring. I get a little bit of static with the Kaito antenna but it's hardly noticeable. It needs to be moved around somewhat for best reception, which brings me to the only major downside to this product...the cord that comes with it is waaay to short (only about 5 feet, 15 or 20 would be better). A longer cord would allow me to position it in an open area away from my entertainment center near a window. I may try to find a longer cord for it somewhere, it just has a standard single pin jack. Worth what I paid for it. A crafty do-it-yourself-er could get some copper wire and make their own loop antenna.
VINE VOICEon September 21, 2010
Just took a few minutes to hook it up and now I can actually hear the am channels.
Up until this point I could only get static when trying to listen to any am channels on the radio.
on August 9, 2011
I purchased this antenna to help bring AM talk radio into our home. I now get decent AM reception where there once was none. The product worked as advertised. One setback is the short cable they supply with the antenna. It has small identical jacks on both ends but my receiver uses a 2 (bare) wire hookup, thus I had to get a $3.00 adapter at the local Radio Shack in order for everything to work. I would recommend this antenna.
on January 9, 2011
This antenna is tunable and capable of intercepting standard broadcast AM and inductively coupling it to a radio with a built-in ferrite rod antenna or, alternatively, feeding a radio's external antenna connector through a coaxial-cable feed.
Either mode is quite effective. The supplied coaxial cable link is far too short, but the antenna is capable of driving a long piece of cable and is so used to provide good AM signals from its window location to a receiver located about 15 feet away.
The antenna is highly selective and must be tuned for each different AM channel but the results are very good.
On my unit, connection to the miniature 3.5 mm connection jack can be touchy, requiring some jiggling of the mating plug for good contact. Definitely worthwhile.
on January 7, 2010
It really doesn't look like much. And we didn't even have to plug it in to radio. But it sure brought in our am radio better.