5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent small sturdy travel AM-FM-WX radio
I have a lot of radios. What I like about this radio is it's compact, lightweight, easy to use, sturdy and offers surprisingly good reception.
It uses readily available AAA batteries. Rechargable batteries are an option as the radio has a USB charging port.
Published on August 25, 2012 by Richard A Nolan

2.0 out of 5 stars Lousy reception
I live in the mountains of north GA and as such radio reception is not great. My car radio does a decent job of receiving stations from the Atlanta area but not the Kaito KA123.
I receive one of the four weather stations and a few FM stations. None of which are clear enough to enjoy listening to.
For city dwellers or around 30-50 mile proximity to stations it...
Published on December 22, 2012 by Chip

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent small sturdy travel AM-FM-WX radio, August 25, 2012
This review is from: Kaito KA123 Digital AM/FM & NOAA Weather Radio with Alert & Flashlight (Electronics)
The radio has good audio for it's size, shaped for intelligibility not so much high fidelity since it's too small to provide much bass.
There is no headphone jack for this uncomplicated digital radio and although it's rechargable you'll have to provide the cable and power source, they are not included at this low price. The manual is more of an instruction sheet telling the user how to set the clock, turn it on/off, tune the radio, turn the alert feature on/off and change batteries...very simple.
I've noticed this radio suffers from a significant loss of sensitivity/reception if it's used within 6 feet of operating digital electronics such as a laptop, even if they are in sleep mode. Obviously if you use a computer USB port to recharge this little radio the reception will be poor while they are connected. This is not a major shortcoming. BTW, there are other digital radios which also experience similar loss of reception near laptops.
The small flashlight is a nice feature making this compact radio useful for camping, backpacking and/or emergency event/power outages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kaito KA123 DSP Emergency Radio, August 15, 2012
I have had my Kaito KA123 Emergency DSP Radio for about ten days now. I picked it up with the idea that it might be a good radio for a quick trip away or for camping when packing light.

The radio offers a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) on AM/FM/ 7 NOAA weather channels, and a weather alert function. It has a brightly backlit, blue LCD display and everything is touch button - power, volume, tuning, and light.

The radio is black and yellow, very small, in the shape of a walkie-talkie and will stand on it's own. It uses three AAA batteries and will show low state.

The radio performance is very good for it's ability to receive AM/FM and weather. This has to be attributed to the DSP chip inside. Before getting this radio, I would not have believed such performance possible in any radio approaching this size. It will receive almost anything you can receive on a car radio plus the NOAA weather station in your area, rock steady. While writing this, here north of Detroit where I live, I am listening to WBBM 780 Chicago.

The antenna for FM and weather extends only 6" from the closed position. Put a three foot piece of wire on an alligator clip and I'm sure would even improve what this little gem can do. It tunes up/down by holding the button to scan for the next station. Volume is in 16 levels through the tiny speaker, I use level 8. It really is for personal use, though there are no earphones.(Would you want them while in a tent?) Don't expect room filling sound, but it is loud enough to annoy turned all the way up.

Don't overlook the light on this radio. It is an LED at the top pointing up and diffusing broadly through a clear lens to fill a small room or tent with light to navigate by in an emergency or while camping.

The Kaito KA123 is well worth the price Electronnix asks for it fulfilled by Amazon.
This is my second Kaito radio. I have also a KA321 - reviewed.

My dream radio is a Kaito KA1103.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good compact weather radio, January 26, 2013
I bought this radio so that I could have a portable, battery powered weather radio that I could put in my bag for emergencies. I have a MIDLAND WR300 Weather Radio for home use, so my comparisons will be with that radio.

The radio reception is pretty impressive for such a compact radio. This is just as good as the Midland weather radio I mentioned above, picking up a weather station that is about 30 miles away. Unlike some other inexpensive radios in this price range, this has digital tuning.

The radio is compact, about the size of a cell phone. The build quality is pretty good considering the price -- I'm not sure it'll survive a hard drop, but at this price, I don't really expect it to. The display isn't anything too fancy, but it's legible. The buttons have good feedback, though the fast tuning (holding down the tune+ or tune- buttons to seek) takes too long. I can tune faster by repeatedly pressing the tuning buttons. The speaker, as you might guess, isn't that great for music, but it's clear and loud for speech. The built-in flashlight is serviceable, but you won't want it as your only flashlight.

Given the quality for this price, I would definitely recommend this radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice travel emergency radio..., September 27, 2014
The Good:
Small lightweight radio is the perfect size for your EDC bag. Flashlight is useful for emergency backup. Pulled in our local weather channel well even inside a dwelling. The digital tuner is easy to read even in sunlight and does not drift off channel. Takes 3 AAA batteries so you can easily use rechargables. Does what it is designed to do-travel well and keeps you informed during emergency events. The price makes it a good value.

The bad:
This is a small, lightweight, portable emergency radio. As such, don't expect superior sound. It does not have preset channels nor a scan feature. That means you have to manually tune in channels using up & down buttons. Don't expect it to be weatherproof nor impact resistant.

I recommend this unit as a very handy emergency radio and a good value. Understand the pros and cons to decide if it meets your needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, reception in a small package, December 29, 2012
ITWOP (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This radio is very compact which is one of the things that was so desirable to me. The reception is good, but not great. The back lit clock is helpful in a blackout. I was concerned that its three AAA batteries would not last very long but I've had it running non-stop for 30 hours so far and they're still going strong.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lousy reception, December 22, 2012
For city dwellers or around 30-50 mile proximity to stations it MIGHT be a nice unit.
It's clock runs fast.
It's compact and looks cool but...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compact emergency radio, May 19, 2014
This is a really cool little emergency radio. Compact design, easy to program and set up, speakers sound good, good reception, auto tune weather channels, easy to read at night, flashlight is good and bright, overall an excellent value for $20.00. Would buy again and recommend to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Shirt-Pocket Sized FM/AM/NOAA Radio With LED Light, April 4, 2014
I own two of these at the moment. One I bought last year works well. Decent (but not great) reception and decent audio in a shirt-pocket-sized radio. Speaker is tiny because unit is tiny. Button controls and digital display have worked fine in light occasional use.
There is no headphone/earbuds jack, which would be nice if it had one. Unit stands upright. Has lanyard. Battery life decent. Typically these units will receive 2 of the 7 NOAA stations at any given location in the USA (most locations will only be in range of 2 NOAA stations, each station is at a different frequency). This would be a good inexpensive choice for a picnic/hiking/camping radio. The antenna extends a few inches (Amazon photo is of antenna in retracted position).
Besides not having an earphones option, two things to be aware of:

This radio does not claim to be waterproof. I have not tried it, but I would not expect it to work after being dunked underwater, or saturated in a heavy rain.
This case is designed to imitate another popular (much more expensive) radio's design, and it LOOKS much more rugged in Amazon photos than it is in real life. The case looks 'rubberized' or 'armored' in the photo, but in reality the plastic is hard and somewhat brittle. If dropped on a concrete floor I would expect the plastic to shatter and the radio to fly apart. You're not going to get a rough-use radio for this price (not this model, anyway).

I said I had two of this radio. I bought one last year and it still works fine. I bought a second as a backup, and when it arrived today it does not receive any of the NOAA stations, just static, although the identical radio next to it receives stations just fine. So this one is defective or faulty. Quality Control problems?
These are decent little day-trip radios for a cheap price, just be aware you may have to return the first one and re-order to get one that works. And they're not as rugged as they are designed to appear.
I would give 4 stars to my working unit (subtracting one for no headphone option and the brittle plastic), and 0 stars for the defective one I am returning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little weather radio, August 26, 2012
I was looking for a small weather radio for emergencies. This Kaito radio is really awesome!!! Really small and compact, great reception, volume control, and back lit screen. I love the fact that it has a mini USB port on the side and it goes perfectly with some Amazon rechargeable batteries. The light on the top of the radio is actually not bad, considering that I am used to using a Surefire and several other tactical lights. Is the light as bright as most tactical lights? No. However, it is a handy feature and really is quite good considering the price of the item. All things considered, this radio is of good quality, has good reception and other features. Above all, the price is right where it needs to be for what you are getting. This is an excellent radio and as soon as I am done writing this review I am picking up another as a back up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quit working, October 13, 2013
Susan Flynn "Gypsy lady" (Greenwell Springs, Louisiana United States) - See all my reviews
When I purchased this it appeared to work fine, however, when I tried to use it for the first time several weeks later it would not turn on at all. I tried everything including the reset button but no luck. I can't return it since it is beyond Amazon's return window.