5.0 out of 5 stars Comparing the best pocket radios
After reading a review in a well respected shortwave internet site on the best AM/FM pocket radios - I decided to write this review. The radios tested on the internet site were the Sony, Panasonic, Radio Shack and Kaito current pocket radios. This test concluded that the Radio Shack catalog number 12-467 was the best. Since I own this radio and I also own the Kaito KA...
Published on July 31, 2012 by Bob G

1.0 out of 5 stars Speaker did not work right out of the box
Tiny radio which is perfect for what I need; however, as soon as I put batteries in and turned it on I got nothing. I plugged in a headset and could hear the radio that way but once unplugged the speakers would not work. I will be returning this one and getting something different.
Published on May 18, 2012 by SL

‹ Previous | 1 2 336 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio, January 2, 2011
I bought this for use while backpacking. I tested it's use along an Indiana trail (knobstone) which is known for it's many ridges and valleys. The radio worked well even in the deep valleys far from nearby towns. Its compact design, speaker, and stereo headphone jack were features I was attracted to and pleased with. I would recommend this product to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Backpacking, March 8, 2011
This is in my opinion the most ideal radio for ultralight backpacking and hiking. I did much research before settling on this product and after using it on a recent outing I'm satisfied with my purchase. It uses AAA batteries like my other outdoor products i.e. headlamp, which simplifies having to bring separate size batteries and the unit also extremely small and light. The sound quality is excellent given the size, I'm very impressed with the reception and quality of the product overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect for keeping in an emergency "go" bag, September 24, 2011
this is perfect for our emergency "go" bag - tiny, lightweight, great price. It is about the size of a deck of cards. contrary to what another reviewer posted, my plain old ordinary Apple earbuds that come with an ipod DO work with this. I tried it with 2 different Apple earbuds and both pairs worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little radio, January 9, 2011
I own the Sony and Panasonic portable radios which are a little larger in size. This radio is comparable in sound and reception quality to the other two radios mentioned above. Excellent radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, November 30, 2010
I bought this because I have another Kaito radio and because I wanted
a radio small enough to fit in my shirt pocket. Kaito makes good products
and I'm very pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Radio, Logistically Speaking, September 12, 2013
B. Ellis (Lexington, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kaito KA200S Pocket AM/FM Radio, Gray (Electronics)
I've been on an AM/FM Radio kick as of late, and since most of these little radios will last longer than some MP3 players and smartphones of today, I figured for the price(s), I'd test out some small pocket-sized radios of differing makes and models.

Enter the Kaito KA200S...it has only the most basic features of other transistor radios in its class, but at only a fraction of the competing radios' respective sizes. As a pocket/pack transistor radio, it doesn't get much lighter or compact than this, and therein lies this radio's greatest strengths--its small footprint and ease of portability. I've only had the radio for a few days, but here are my findings so far:

◘ Size: The minute size and weight of this radio will honestly make you forget that it's in your pocket, and that can be a good thing (just make sure not to sit on it). Some have complained that the tuning/volume wheels are too jumpy, and while I'm sure some defective units have shipped out, I find a lot of these complaints stem from improper usage on such a small radio. For a radio this small, you're supposed to let part of your thumb rest against the radio's frame (to create a slight bit of resistance) while gently rolling the wheel with the other part of the same thumb (using the frame's resistance on the thumb to slow down the turning). The same goes for volume AND tuning. If your thumb/finger is ONLY touching the dial, you are setting yourself up to jump all over the place, especially on a radio this small.

◘ Durability: The Kaito KA200S seems to be built to a decent durability standard. I would not expect it to work properly after dropping it a few times onto a hard surface, but I actually don't abuse my electronics. I still have my first AM/FM radio from when I was eight years old (I'm 31 now), and it still works (barely). If you don't abuse this little radio/expose it to a lot of water, it should last you a long time.

◘ Battery Life: Because of the unit's size, using 2 AAA batteries seems to be the only battery option that would fit this little wonder. I would think that a single AA would give longer life (much like the transistor-style Sony Walkman--model SRF59SILVER), but as it stands a good set of rechargeable AAA's should give quite a few hours of listening pleasure. I will update this review as I get more use out of this radio.

◘ Sound Quality: It's hard to do so, but I'm taking away one star for the sound quality, specifically with regards to music reproduction. As a portable talk radio, this little unit shines. Played at lower volumes, it does music well enough, but let's be honest...for a small cone with these dimensions, one should not expect beautifully-rendered music playback. For better music quality, one should go with the Sony ICF-S10MK2 (the trade-off, of course, being the Sony's larger size)

◘ Reception: Not much different than other transistor-style units...there are dead spots and the possibility of nearby appliances or transmitters creating interference. If you're listening to it on the move, expect a little fuzz here and there. If you find a sweet spot and listen to it in one location (once again, especially for talk radio), it will do just fine.

Bottom Line: You could do a lot worse spending $10-$12 on a radio (see: Anything by Coby). If you are obsessive about shaving grams off of your load, be it for hiking/travel/cycling purposes, this radio fits the bill for being the lightest, smallest radio of good quality out there. If you wish to hear only talk radio, this radio will give you hours of listening pleasure without breaking the bank. If you wish to hear more music than talk (especially if you wish to hear it clearly at higher volumes), go with the Sony ICF-S10MK2 for roughly the same price, at the cost of a little more size/weight.

1.0 out of 5 stars Speaker did not work right out of the box, May 18, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Big bang for your buck, February 7, 2012
This compact radio is the great deal for the money. Very compact with great sound with or without earplugs. Dial is easy to rotate and fine tune tune a station, volume control stays consistent. This is a good radio for indoor or outdoor use. So compact that it fits in a pocket with room to spare. Thumbs up for this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars CRISP Audio Projection, May 22, 2013
This review is from: Kaito KA200S Pocket AM/FM Radio, Gray (Electronics)
After reading the occasional bad reviews here we ordered three of these KA200's and made a 'QC study'. And sure enough we received two gems and one lemon. The two gems are great. The one lemon had poor reception - compared using same stations - medium signal strength.
-----
But the two gems are special. Great reception and audio quality. Kaito radios have an audio clarity and projection which are really good for talk radio. They make the spoken word easy to understand. Even at low volume you hear voices clearly. This crisp sound quality may be addictive. After listening with these, some other radios may sound muddled. We have two other Kaito models - the KA11 and KA123. These other models also have good crisp audio. There may be something special about Kaito speakers, or maybe the audio circuitry. The KA200 is small and light - see mugshot lineup photos above. Hardly noticeable in shirt pocket. Great for walks - the sharp audio quality cuts through background noise like wind or traffic. Would be nice if they had a connection for wrist-strap. Maybe it can be added.
-----
Weight: 2.3 ounces - (without batteries)
Dimensions: 3.6 x 2.2 x 0.8 inches
FM Antenna: extends to 7.0 inches

* Optional Carry Case - This HDE Neoprene Case is a great fit for the KA200

3.0 out of 5 stars Kaito KA200 vs. Sony ICF-S10MK2, February 21, 2013
Beaglemaster (Staten Island, NYC) - See all my reviews
I own the Sony ICF-S10MK2 and also bought the Kaito KA200 because of it's smaller size. After listening to both, I have to say the Sony is the winner in almost every department. The Kaito beats the Sony only in size, and the fact that it takes two AAA batteries instead of two AA.

In NYC, the Sony receives more stations, tunes more precisely, and plays louder before its speaker distorts. The sound of the Kaito is harsher and can be hard on your ears. Unlike the Sony, the volume control is not ganged to the on/off switch and is inconveniently located on top of the radio, making it a two step process. The tuning dial is considerably stiffer than the Sony, and requires a bit more precision and patience to tune "dead center" without overshooting your mark.

Nevertheless, the Kaito is still an OK radio and has its place, especially when traveling. However, it can't beat the Sony in overall performance. Not to mention, you can usually purchase the Sony at a cheaper price, although that would be my last consideration. If size is not important, my recommendation is to go Sony!

‹ Previous | 1 2 336 | Next ›