Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on March 25, 2013
I now have two of these, with extra batteries (3 extra total). The plug on the NiMH battery is a little different than the cordless phone batteries I found, so rather than modifying the plpug on the phone battery I ordered OEM spares. Do yourself a favor and look up the NOAA channel for your area now (the internet can be your friend) and highlight it in the manual for future use, and make a label to stick on your radio. If you want to use SW and anticipate being trapped in your basement after a tornado, install a longwire antenna (look it up) extending into your basement. One feature I would like to have had (and told Kaito this) is an external AM antenna input. The passive loop unit (no need for batteries!) from Terk (Tork?) from Amazon helps, but I suspect a direct connection would be better. I have seen people complain about the dynamo handle, but all of these I have seen are similar. You just can't abuse it. The two cranks/second recommended isn't as fast as it sounds, so you don't have to crank like you're trying to win a race.
on March 1, 2012
This model of the Kaito solar/crank radio is much better than the previous Kaito radios. This one works and seems to be very well made and solid. It will not charge an iPhone and that's why I got it, but I am not unhappy with it. All of the other features operate as advertised. It is now my number one survival radio. I will get something else to charge my iPhone in an emergency.
on August 26, 2012
We searched for some time before deciding on the Kaito Voyager Pro KA600 NOAA Weather Emergency Radio. This radio was the most versatile we found. It is exactly as advertised and we received quick delivery. No complaints on this product.
on March 2, 2014
I bought this radio for the RDS function and it does exactly what it supposed to do. The Memory storage for the stations is more than I need, it is long and annoying going through each of the 20 or so presets to get to the 2 or three stations that you actually listen to. The plastic that the case is made of seems to be cheap and not durable. be careful not to drop this one. works like a digitally tuned radio, not that fancy at all, the key pad is useless for direct frequency entry. I was expecting something like a Sangen or grundig but more like a GPX or Electrovoice
on July 23, 2015
This lightweight portable radio is a perfect addition to you camping, hiking or SHTF bugout gear. The solar and crank/generator, lithium battery and regular battery option gives you the choice between four power sources to keep you in-the-know as well as entertained anywhere. The sound is average but better than most small, single speaker portable radios. I do find the sound to be very crisp, however, so to me that's a fair trade off. The best feature I like about this unit is the alert feature. When bad weather approaches that you need to know about the radio automatically changes to one of the "weather channels" and you get the heads up. In my opinion, a very decent and smart buy...get one!
on June 21, 2015
1. The Solar charger will not charge a phone, and will not keep the radio charged if you leave it on "standby" with the alert option on and radio off. So it's basically useless.
2. The front of the radio (the grill around the speaker) is so weak, any small bump or pressure would break it.
3. The antennae isn't strong enough to capture any weak radio stations inside a home, I had to hold the radio up by a window to get the local weather station on the weather channels.
4. The shortwave doesn't have a scan feature which makes finding ANY broadcaster nearly impossible.
5. If you leave the unit in a window (because it's black) it'll become so hot it'll cause the display to tweak out till it's cooled. It didn't help charge being in direct sunlight either.
on September 11, 2014
got the radio....it terrible...won't come on unless u THUMP IT on top.......won't respond when trying different power supplies...great if plugged in to power.....defeats the purpose of being solar or battery powered
on March 30, 2016
Lets get the cons out of the way 1st, as they are minimal (at best)
- The power crank seems a bit flimsy... you need to somewhat baby your rotations I feel.
- AA batteries NOT included. I used on hand, already charged, rechargeable batteries.
- The 'reading lite' is on the back of the solar panel (not intuitive to me), but some may
consider this an asset, as it is protected... Yur call
- Flashlight is minimal brightness, wide beam w/ no focusing of beam possible
- Telescoping antenna not flexible to rotate for better radio reception.
Pros:
- Lightweight: nice to backpack, as most is plastic (a durability tradeoff)
- ALL functions work adequately....nothing superior, nor bare minimal. (imho)
- a small switch you change for power going into or sending out of batteries.
- Prior posts expounded on individual components' plusses, so I will not
waste your time by duplicating them.
Niceties NOT found on similar units:
- a dual alarm ! Are you kidding me ?
- Temp & humidity readouts (spot on in comparing with my other
thermometers etc. a rareity)
- the dual battery system
- a comfy carry handle, for when needed. (lacking on a lot of other
radios I researched)

I feel it is a good buy for the money. If you want a more ruggedized
case, & more advanced features... more money spent elsewhere will
provide them.
on April 16, 2013
As a person involved in emergency management and emergency services, I searched high and low for a Radio that would be dependable and reliable when the power went out. After all my research, I ended up with this one, and am very happy. It delevers on its promises and is built to do the job. If you have only one emergency Radio (and a hand charger for your phone), make this one it!
on May 15, 2016
Kaito asked me to post regarding this radio I recently purchased. It arrived on time when they said it would. Packaged expertly, worked fine out of the box on the AM and FM side. I really like the sound of FM stations on this radio. Comes in clear with just the right bass and treble for me. I tried out the flash light feature. Works fine. There is a reading light feature built into and underneath the solar panel. The hand crank for the generator worked fine as long as one uses it as intended. Slow and steady and not try to race with the handle. It won't tolerate abuse but when I tested it, I cranked that puppy about 10 minutes or so as the reviewer indicated (which is why I purchased from this one reviewer) I found that the generator did what it was supposed to do. I would of given the review 5 Stars but I am having a challenge with the short and long wave feature. The instructions for setting the date and time were fairly straight forward. As were some of the other features. I'm having a challenge acquiring any of the SW or Long Range stations the radio purports to provide. I'm finding the instructions for using these features don't make sense TO ME. Maybe someone familiar with that spectrum of channels would be comfortable but I am struggling with that aspect of the radio and am not clear how to select channels. I didn't under stand the 9k or 10k thing and how to choose it. I stepped away from the instructions for awhile and will come back to them to see if it makes sense after I read it a few times. The instructions were written by a technical person and not by a user of the product. Or it seems that way to me. Anyway .... I'm going to keep it and try to make it work as intended. I got the power supply and the external antenna thing and that works great on the AM and FM side. Hoping the SW side will come around.