5.0 out of 5 stars You won't believe it, but this uke looks and sounds great
Yes, the Dolphin looks a lot like a kiddy toy--what with the eponymous dolphin-shaped bridge and the candy colors it comes in (if you don't like sparkly metallic blue, there's all the colors of the rainbow, to quote Homer Simpson's donut delivery man.) Red, red burst, yellow, white, pink, green, and even orange.

The key to getting this uke to sound like a...
Published on March 27, 2012 by Joanna Daneman

3.0 out of 5 stars Great econo uke!
This uke is perfect for people who want to play and not break the bank.
If it is fun you are after... look no further. Make the world a happier place and play one(: This is my second uke (my beater) however I cannot seem to put the little white dolphin down.
Published on May 8, 2012 by B

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't believe it, but this uke looks and sounds great, March 27, 2012

The key to getting this uke to sound like a serious instrument is to restring it with better strings, and the general consensus is that Aquila Soprano Strings will make this uke sound terrific. Well, I did just that. I pulled off the black strings that came on the uke and I put on a set of Aquila nylgut and the instrument sounds loud and tuneful, well, as tuneful as I can manage to play it.

I use this as a "battle uke" that is, I can take it camping or outdoors or leave it in the car and not worry about it getting damaged. You can use it for kid's classes --not a great investment yet with the right strings, you will not be hampering a new musician with an unplayable, terrible instrument. (Giving a new player a really bad instrument often discourages them because the feel and sound is so bad.)

Sometimes you need to adjust the action by filing the nut down or the bridge, or polish the edges of the frets if they are rough. If you search on ukulele or guitar set-up, you will find a lot of information on the web about fixing up a stock instrument. While I would take my "serious" uke to a luthier (guitar builder/repair person) I might attempt an adjustment myself on a Dolphin. Mine was fine out of the box, however.

In short, if you want a ukulele and don't want to spend a lot at first, or want a spare for whatever reason, or you just like bright shiny things,l this is one of those inexpensive-but-great things in life.

If you are new to ukulele, I'd suggest two books, Ukulele for Dummies which has a CD along with it and covers a lot of ground, and Barry Maz's book [[asin:/1461059941 What Ukulele Players Want to Know.]] Those are a great place to start out.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent ukulele, February 12, 2011
Amazon Customer (Knoxville TN USA) - See all my reviews
I have three of these ukuleles. White, Black and Red Burst. They sound great. You just have to change the strings to aquilas or martin. The top is thin so it has a lovely sound. The ukulele has really no bracing in it to dampen the sound. It has an arched back to enhance the sound. It is more hawaiian sounding than the regular soprano Makala probably because of the ability to resonate, it has the sound of a more expensive instrument. I think it is one of the best laminate ukuleles you can get. The finish on it is not perfect and the fretboard is extremely thin and on two of mine it is marred but they play fine. These sound great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value! ...Very Happy!, January 16, 2011
Great value. Been playing it daily for a month now! All I can say is for the money you can't find another uke that sounds as good as this. Others in this price range tend to be junk/toys ...not really playable. This Makala Dolphin soprano is not a toy but a real musical instrument. Yes part of it is made of plastic (the body) and it's painted to hide the flaws and detail craftsmanship is not pristine but 'come on' for a 30-dollar ukulele what you want? What really matters though is it's very playable like a real uke, and it sounds good (even better with good strings) and it will survive some abuse!

Once I put good quality strings on it stayed in tune just the like my expensive ukes do! Best thing about it is I don't feel bad about tossing it in the back seat of truck, taking it camping or traveling. Yes it may get a few dings but who cares ...it still sounds and plays good and it'll get used a lot more use than my expensive ukes sitting in their cases ...because it's with me! Actually this uke's sound is amazingly good for it's price range! (different though, more guitar like than a uke)

I ordered it from Music is Elementary through Amazon and it was delivered on time and in perfect shape as expected. Needed to be tuned as expected and exceeded my expectations on performance! Yes, I'd recommend one to a friend ...no question!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter 'Uke from a great company, March 11, 2014
I am a schoolteacher who buys one of these bad boys every year for my students to sign and use as their yearbook/class uke, my wall now has 8. these sound very good for the money, hold a tune after a week-long or so break-in period and hold up really well with the wear an tear of everyday use by 7th graders. for $35 i dare you to find a better introduction ukulele, a way to get kids into music and learn some chords and be successful in a minimal amount of time.

My black one came with a stripped out tuner, the only problem I have had in 8 ukuleles. I sent an email to the company and within two days they sent me a whole new geared tuner to replace the defective one, no questions asked, not a single dime spent by me. I will always buy these ukes for the the next 22 years before I can retire (I hope) and continue to recommend them for people dipping their toes into the ukulele pool.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great econo uke!, May 8, 2012
This review is from: Kala MK-SD/PW Makala Dolphin Bridge Soprano - Pearl White (Electronics)
This uke is perfect for people who want to play and not break the bank.

5.0 out of 5 stars ukelele's are beast, April 20, 2011
really good ukulele for a cheap price, when i got it, it was broken, but my seller solved the problem right away! awesomeness :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable & Affordable, March 9, 2013
I have a Cordoba Baritone Ukulele that I've been playing for about three years now, but I've really wanted a standard soprano ukulele for that true ukulele sound. My other ukulele was pretty expensive, and I really didn't want to spend too much money on a new ukulele.

I did a bunch of research on affordable ukuleles, and the Makala Dolphin Bridge Soprano kept coming up in every review. Most cheaper ukuleles aren't worth buying because they're so low quality, but every article I read said the Dolphin was the exception to this rule. I read more reviews on amazon, and cannot help but agree with the reviews. It's definitely a keeper.

The reviews all commented on the finish of the ukulele being sub-par, so I was surprised to find that mine was in perfect condition. I looked up and down the whole instrument for any imperfections, and the only aspect I would say isn't "perfect" would be the coating on the dolphin bridge. The black paint is a bit uneven and shows through the wood, but that's only if you're looking really hard for imperfections. I was personally apprehensive about purchasing in this color since it looked a little like a deep indigo blue in the photos, so I was glad to see it's more that deep, true blue color. I love the sparkly aspect of the coat too, it's just adorable!

All the reviews recommend changing the strings to Aquila strings, and I have to agree. I was curious about the sound quality before changing the strings, so I re-tuned the instrument with the original strings and strummed a few chords. For me personally, it sounded horrendous. The strings are the cheap plastic-y toy strings that definitely do not do the instrument any justice. Once I changed the strings out I was very pleased with the sound. It's hard to compare to my Cordoba because baritone ukuleles are strung more like a guitar (DGBE) than a ukulele (GCEA), but the sound was very bright and pretty loud. My Cordoba has a deeper, fuller tone which also has to do with the fact that it's wood, not plastic, but I think the bright sound from the Dolphin is appropriate for the cute appearance and the fact that it's a soprano ukulele.

This is definitely a great ukulele for a beginner, or someone who might not want to spend a lot of money on a ukulele while still wanting decent tone quality. It's definitely a conversation starter, because it's too cute not to show off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kala Makala Ukulele, March 25, 2013
I bought this as a gift for my niece, she loves it, plays it constantly. I would recommend to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, July 5, 2014
It's exactly what was described. Pretty color and looks well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars good price good sound!, March 24, 2013
for it's price and it's level of cuteness it's amazing! I personally didn't have to replace the strings on it because they settled in quite nicely after about three weeks.