5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Published 3 days ago by Katrina Rodriquez

2.0 out of 5 stars Uses two work bowls, not one
Published on October 10, 2011 by Meghan

2.0 out of 5 stars Uses two work bowls, not one, October 10, 2011
This review is from: Kalorik Chopper/Baby Food Maker, White/Yellow, 2-Cup (Kitchen)
I picked this baby food maker over others on the market because the description (on several sites) led me to believe that the baby food would be steamed and pureed in the same container, which beat out the other models that use two separate containers. However, upon receiving it I discovered that the food steams in one container, and then has to be transferred to a second container to be pureed. I can accomplish what this appliance does by steaming the food on the stove and then pureeing it in the same pot, using a hand blender. If it truly would steam and then puree in one, then it would be worth the counter space, but if I've got to transfer the food and wash two bowls anyway, I'd rather just use appliances that I already have.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it., February 27, 2012
I was very excited to buy this product. After using it many times, it is still in good working condition; however, it is simply not worth the trouble. I have made all of my daughter's baby food from the start, and this little machine requires me to steam it in one container and then transfer it to another container to puree it. That wouldn't be so bad, but there are a few issues that I have with it.

1. When you puree, food particles get into the tiny compartment where steam enters the bowl. It is very, VERY difficult to remove these particles, and if you don't get them all out, it compromises the sanitation of the baby food. I thought, "surely this cannot be right." I read and re-read the instructions...but unless my package was missing some instructions, I was doing it correctly.

2. The steaming basin has a very small hole in which to pour water. It takes a while to get all of the water into the basin, and I am constantly getting water all over the counter.

3. There is no way to get into the basin that holds water to clean it completely, rather the manufacturer suggestion is to clean it with water (or adding a little vinegar and water), shaking the entire machine around, dumping it out and then rinsing it. Once, I literally had to do this process 8 times to get the water to come out clear.

3. If you forget to turn the "close" latch on the water basin before turning on the "steam" mode, it gets quite a mess of hot water all over the counter. In addition it also allows the food-stained steaming liquid back into the basin of the steamer, requiring you to fully clean the basin with the method listed above --Yes this was my fault, but it is a very easy thing to forget.

4. I make my baby food in large batches and freeze it, and this little machine does not make a large enough batch for it to be worth my time.

The product was sturdy and pureed the food well. It steamed the food properly, and it might work for someone who makes fresh food in small batches every day...though it still would require a bit of effort and cleaning. For me, it was a bust. I wish I would have just spent the money on a nice food processor instead of buying this machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't last, October 4, 2012
I received a Kalorik baby food processor as a shower gift before my daughter was born last December. I finally began using the machine around May. By August the machine no longer worked. The manufacturers website stated you had to have a receipt in order for them to process a claim. By the time I found the receipt last month, the one-year warranty had literally just expired only days before. Now, even though the machine is not working through no fault of mine, the company says my only options are to either pay them to repair it or to buy a new one. That is absurd. I realize the purpose of warranties, but for circumstances where you are receiving shower gifts months in advance of being able to begin using a product, the manufacturer it seems should have some understanding. I am very disappointed and don't recommend anyone use the Kalorik baby products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kalorik Doesn't Stand Behind It's Product, April 16, 2013
I purchased this to make baby food for my daughter and after using just a few times I started to notice food and liquid by the handle and realized the bowl had cracked. Just spoke with their customer service manager and they do not warranty parts. She offered a discount on the bowl, but after only a few uses, it isn't worth the money. I'm just going to use my Cuisinart food processor that I've had for at least 6 years without any issues. If Kalorik isn't willing to stand behind their product, I'm not willing to spend anymore money on their products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Steamer doesn't work, February 12, 2012
The steamer doesn't work. We took it out of the box and tried to steam carrots according to the poorly written instructions, three times. Carrots still not soft. This is a total dud.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, August 19, 2011
It's good product, but the steaming area is not that big to take a big amount, however, the blending are is bigger, so you will need 2 loads of steaming to blend, other than that it's a very good idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 8, 2014
Excellent

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible product, April 19, 2012
I received this product as a gift. It has 2 main functions, to steam and chop food and it doesn't do either. The steamer keeps shutting on and off and never gets the food cooked enough. The chopper blades are parallel and when you put the food in it just spreads the food to the sides of the container. I experimented one evening and left it on and it continued to steam for 4 hours - never really getting the food soft. At $100 what a rip off.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Blender for the price of $25, February 21, 2014
I received this as a gift. If left to my own devices, I would have skipped getting a baby food maker as we're pretty thrifty and we have a hand immersion blender which is fine for blending steamed veggies and whatnot. But I like that it heats milk and sanitizes pacifiers as well.

I have only used this once to test it out, so I will post an update down the line if my opinion changes.

Out of the box, everything works. I washed and prepped the machine, then followed instructions in the booklet to steam and blend carrots. The steaming function worked great. The hang up my husband and I noticed is that, as another reviewer mentions, the amount it directs you to steam (100g) is not enough to fill the blending container enough to properly blend it. The food gets stuck under the blades and against the sides. We added water and were able to get a nice blend. I think steaming and blending 200g would work better so next time I will give that a try.

I don't have an issue with the fact that the steaming basket is separate and that the food has to be transferred to the blending container after inserting the blade.

I definitely noticed that food gets into the little inaccessible steaming compartment and that this could create a big issue. However, my husband suggested doing what we do with our Vitamix-- blending soapy water for a few seconds in the blending compartment after use. This flushed out all food particles. Quick and easy fix.

Currently this is on sale for $25, and that's a good price. I think my gift-giver paid full price, which is steep for this... but if you are on a budget and looking for a baby food maker that steams and blends, you can definitely make this one work for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK baby food maker, December 18, 2011
I have used this baby food maker often since I bought it. I do like the steam function, its really easy. The blending function works great but sometimes I smell an electrical burn odor while blending. The only complaint I have is that I don't like having to unscrew a piece from the bottom of the blending/steaming container in order to attempt to clean food out of the steam chamber. I would like this product better if there were 2 different containers, one for blending (without a steam hole/chamber) and one for steaming... Or it would be nice to block the steam chamber while blending. Overall, this product works, but I would not buy it again. I would simply bake the food, then put it in a blender.

Kalorik Chopper/Baby Food Maker, White/Yellow, 2-Cup