Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on July 12, 2011
After learning about the Kamado style grills, I started reading a lot about them and learning who the players are. I realized that the Kamado Joe was up there with the best of them. You can read about Kamado grills and cookers all over, so I won't write about that. I will tell you that the quality of this item is outstanding. It works exactly as they describe it. It's a gorgeous looking thing, but I admit there is a learning curve, especially if you've never use a charcoal grill. For example, little did I know that in order to attain the high temps (for example 600F or 800F plus) you must organize the charcoal with the big chunks at the bottom. It's all about ventilation. If you just dump the bag, forget about it. If they are all small pieces, forget about it. That said... there's nothing wrong with just dumping the bag if all you need is a "standard" grilling session for something like fish, chicken breasts or thin steaks.
I also purchased the heat deflector and pizza stone and was able to successfully bake a couple of 15" pizzas, they turned out outstanding. It was easy too!
However, for the bad news and a word of caution. As of this writing 7/12/11 there are ZERO online resellers available for the Kamado Joe grills. That includes this website you're reading on. I left the name out in hopes that this review is not censored. I love shopping for things here, heck I even have a Prime membership, but these guys are not allowed to sell these items and they do not care. What this means is that you're purchasing an item with no warranty!!
To me that was one of the big selling points. Amazing. Go to the kamado joe website and you'll see their own information, I'm not making this up. I even talked to the owner and founder of the company and he explained the legal battle he's in with this retailer. The bottom line is that they are not allowed to sell them online. Buyer beware.
on December 8, 2011
I bought this item earlier this year. Makes the best pizzas we have ever had, and we have some good pizza restaurants here. I would highly recommend this product. The support from the company has been great! Definitely join this group on Facebook. This has been a great help with all the tips on how to cook using the Kamado.
on October 18, 2013
I don't really need to say much on this - this is a excellent product.
It's worth it's weight in gold!
We purchased ours 2 and a half years ago.. it took us a few months to get the hang of using it! But food comes our moist and delicious - I highly recommend if you like tandoori or Moroccan/middle eastern type food! You can not replicate the smokey charcoal and succulent-ness that a Komado Joe can do!
on September 19, 2011
This product seems to be made of better ceramic than the BGE but that's just by (informed) observation. In addition, the shelves, base and so on are high quality and nicely fitted. I had a very early production model and the firebox (an internal part) cracked. The company shipped a replacement immediately. New units have a design change that avoids the problem.

Cooks great, holds heat a long time. Let charcoal burn in well before putting the food on if you don't like a smoky flavor (not unique to this grill). Watch it while starting. If you just light it and let it go full open, it will get past 900 degrees F by convection alone. (Probably fine for cooking silicon based extraterrestrial life forms).

Also very good for "artisan" bread (see Mark Bitman's "No Knead" recipe in NYT), grind your own (or just use whole wheat) and it's just like you would have had at the Colosseum. You will need a heat deflector stone and a pizza (bread) stone (see the website). Good for pizza too.

I use a Looftlighter Fire Lighting Tool to light it, works great.
The Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter is also very good.

Real (lump) charcoal seems expensive relative to briquettes but it burns hot, lasts long and does not have chemical binders. You can use briquettes, but don't. (Big Green Egg charcoal is very good and widely available.)

(I'm an engineer. I bought the grill directly from Kamado Joe. (Actually:? Kamado, Joe))
on April 1, 2012
WARNING: This is a great grill. However, the manufacturer does not intend to have these sold online and will not honor thier waranty for online purchases. You are better off buying this from a certified local dealer
on April 25, 2011
Great kamado style BBQ. I'd say this baby compares to the Big Green Egg, but I think it looks a bit better....Amazing taste
when smoking any meat...
on December 10, 2014
Just purchased a KamadoJoe Classic grill. I was expecting the Conquer and Divide cooking system. Instead I got a single stainless steel grate. KamadoJoe says to bad you bought the last years model. The Divide and Conquer system will now add $150 to the cost. If you purchase one of these grills make sure the dealer does not pass off the 2013 model as the 2014 model.

Updated: The dealer apologized for the mix up and did provide the items that were missing from the older model. I give the dealer 5 stars for admitting the mistake and fixing it. Komodo Joe still gets two stars for telling me to bad. It's a great grill but I'm not impressed with service support. It wasn't their fault but they did not have to be so callus about it.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse