Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Color: BlackChange

on January 17, 2013
I was just about to return the scale when I read a comment on another review that suggested that the 3 rubber pieces under the platform are not a part of the design, but rather there for shipping. Thanks Michele Rhodes for pointing this out. I was seeing the same drift that other customers have mentioned and noticed that the weights were not even close to my other kitchen scale. Now that I have removed the rubber pieces, everything is working great. I feel a bit dense, but it really looked like these were a permanent part of the design. Turns out it is instruction #1 in the Instructions for Use booklet, but I didn't bother to read the instructions for a kitchen scale...
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 12, 2013
We've been using this scale often since we bought it at Costco in December 2012,
and are very pleased with it's ease of use and accuracy.
Grams are calculated only in even numbers so the reading can sometimes be off as much as one gram
but for our needs that's not an issue.

The scale is a 7 1/2" diameter stainless steel plate that
accommodates size-able containers & will weight up to 11 lb. / 5 kilograms.
A 10 1/2" plate sits nicely on the workspace.
And because the LCD panel is off to the side, the weight is still easily viewed.

The scales features "ZERO" and "TARE" functions.
Individual items can be weighed and get the weight of each as added,
with-out removing the previous item/items from the scale.
Zero ~ the sum of a combined amount up to 7 ounces.
Tare ~ the sum of a combined amount more then 7 ounces.

When an item is placed on the scale before it's turned on, it isn't included in the calculation,
when the scale is turned on it starts at zero.
When the item is removed the scale shows a minus amount which was the items weight.
The reading stays in the category that was last used, even when turned off/on.

I particularly like the power indicator which shows a low battery.
Large, easy to read numbers, against a blue light digital LCD panel.
Maximum weight overload indicator, and the auto shutoff after two minutes.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2012
I bought this at Costco on Xmas eve 2012 for $20, about HALF the price they're asking for here, and it was not on sale. I liked how the on/off button is not combined with the tare button. It takes a 9-volt battery which was included. It will also tell you what the weight of an object is when it's removed from the scale, so if you weigh a pound of deli meat on it and tare the scale, it will tell you the weight of the 5 slices you just took off the scale. The units it can weigh in are grams, kilograms, pounds and ounces. The reason I gave this scale just 3 stars is that I weigh everything in grams (28.35g per ounce). This scale skips the odd numbers in grams! That means it goes from 8 grams to 10 grams to 12 grams, etc. - it never tells you when it's an odd number of grams. I've never had a kitchen scale that did this before on grams, and all previous scales cost me about the same as this one. While my previous $20 kitchen scales went to roughly 0.5 gram accuracy, this Kamenstein apparently has just 2 gram accuracy. That's not good enough for me, so I'll be returning this item.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2013
I purchased this scale at Costco on sale, but almost returned it. Initially the weights kept changing, but what I discovered (after reading the instructions), was that I failed to remove the small rubber bumpers which were apparently just to protect the scale during shipping. After I did this, I weighed a few items including a 10 oz package of tomatoes and a 5 pound bag of flour, but my scale indicated significantly different weights (13.6 oz for tomatoes, 4.9 pounds for the flour). I decided to check the accuracy of this scale against my postal scale, which is always spot on, according to my Post Office. Lo and behold, the weights were exactly the same. I had initially purchased this scale to weigh my homemade dog food, but now I've started baking bread, and the best way to measure the ingredients is to weigh them, so this scale will be getting a lot of use. I like the compact size and easy to read numbers.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2014
I purchased this scale (in red) about a year and a half ago. I've used it regularly, and it has worked perfectly for me until a week ago, when, after clearing the test screen, it displayed a weight of 1 pound 0 ounces, and continued increasing by one ounce about every second. This is with nothing on the scale to be weighed. It was in a shallow drawer, with nothing on top of it, and could not have gotten damaged. It just started with this strange behavior. The unit and zero/tare buttons no longer work. I changed the battery, thinking that it had gone bad, but the scale does the same thing with a brand new battery.
While it was working, it worked very well ... more accurate than any other scale I've used. I generally used it to weigh items from about 3 ounces to 4 pounds. I've searched for any other reports of similar behavior, and other than removing the three rubber feet from the bottom (which I removed a year ago), there is nothing that would give me a clue as to whether this is fixable or not. Because no one else has reported anything like my experience with the scale, I'm tempted to replace it with the same model, because I really do (did) like it. I think I will wait awhile, however, to see if anyone else reports something like this.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2013
I was so sick of this scale, I bought it a week ago and had the same issues as the 1 star reviewers. After reading the comments I realized I hadn't removed the 3 rubber stoppers, DOH! It works perfectly now. Great scale and looks good too.
on January 28, 2013
I felt I needed to add my review to this product seeing as it has gotten several unwarranted negative reviews. I bought this scale from Costco a few days ago for $16 on sale. I removed it from the package and also removed the 3 rubber feet that everyone keeps talking about. I then proceeded to weigh unopened things in their original packaging from my kitchen to compare the manufacturer's given weight (first number) against the scale weight (second number). Yoplait yogurt cup, 6 oz--6.3 oz; Chobani greek yogurt, 6 oz--6.7 oz; Crispix cereal in just the bag, 17.9 oz--18.9 oz; snack size bag of Veggie Straws, 1 oz--1.1 oz. Giving a few ounces to account for packaging, this scale seems quite accurate. I did not test it with metrics. The zero and tare functions are slick. You can also put a bowl or plate on the scale before you turn it on and the scale will start at zero. Also, I bought mine in red and it IS stainless steel.
on May 17, 2013
Well, we already had one of these scales. Both my wife and I really like it.

From the comment prior, I went to Costco today and bought 2 more scales. We will keep one at our vacation home and give the other one to one of our kids. At $9.99 each (until 6/1), you can't go wrong on a scale with the many features this has.

As for the 1 gram discrepancy (no odd numbers), this amounts to a maximum error of 35 hundredths of an ounce. That will not effect any recipe I can think of making! Unless you are a pharmacist, I can't see where it is a real big deal.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2013
I didn't read the instructions first, either. But just took a few seconds to figure it out. Love the scale.
on March 12, 2013
I just purchased this food scale a few days ago at Costco for just over $14.00. I like the off-set buttons and read-out, allows
for use with any size bowl or plate. I put a small piece of plastic wrap over the digital readout, hopefully will keep
the mechanism clean and tidy. The shipping 'bumpers" fell out when I finally got the plastic/cardboard packaging apart.

Works well, available in red, black for sure and (I think) silver. This is my third digital scale in my lifetime, if it lasts at least as long as the others
I'll be pleased. Lifetime Warranted it says, but has anyone ever cashed in on a lifetime warranty?

I think you will be pleased with your purchase.

UPDATE: April 7, 2014 13 months later, still loving my scale and sooo wish I would have gone back and got another when Costco had
them on sale. Still accurate (to my postal scale), I just changed the battery for the 3rd time. I use this scale 5-6 times a day, so I have no
real complaints about the battery. I also, almost from the beginning, slip my scale in a clear food storage plastic bag. It fits easily in a gallon size, an open bag
that uses twist tie- I don't even bother to close it in any way. I store it, and use it inside the plastic bag. When the bag gets grungy, or tattered, just change the bag out. The twist tie bags
easily found anywhere, even the dollar store. My scale is in like new pristine condition and no worries about spills or cleaning.