5.0 out of 5 stars Kane
I recently retired as a police officer in the Los Angeles County area. I served the community for over 31 years. I recently found "Kane" by Steve Gannon, while checking Amazon for a book. I am very critical when reading police fiction novels. I have not heard about Mr. Gannon, nor did anyone recommend this book.
What a pleasure it was reading "Kane." I was unable...
Published on February 19, 2012 by Henry Bud Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good mystery but too wordy
Published on July 2, 2012 by Julie B

5.0 out of 5 stars Kane, February 19, 2012
This review is from: Kane (A Kane Novel Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
What a pleasure it was reading "Kane." I was unable to put the book down. Every page held my interest. I immediately sent emails to my friends, several that are still on the job. I recommended this book to my friends and family. I also wanted to leave a quick review, because I would not want someone, who enjoys police novels, to miss this book.
Enjoy reading "Kane."

5.0 out of 5 stars Kane's stand together again, no matter what, June 25, 2012
Suncoast "Suncoast" (Sunshine Coast, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kane (A Kane Novel Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Once again Steve Gannon has written a very powerful, exciting and challenging page-turning novel, which is both spine chilling and personally emotional. Gannon has written a book which mixes intense family issues successfully with a well crafted police procedural/serial killer plot. Be warned - it is very much an adult novel with vivid scenes of sadistic serial murders but they are needed because they are central to the story.

In his first book "A Song for the Asking" (which I am glad that I read first) Steve Gannon introduced us to Dan Kane, who is a top Homicide Detective at LAPD who dominates his family like a marines training Sergeant. Despite this his sons and daughter live in a family environment full of love and respect. They follow their father's strong beliefs that "Kane's stand together, no matter what"

When tragedy happens and his eldest son is killed in a climbing accident, Kane is the one who cracked and cannot stand together with his family. At the start of this book, Kane's inability to cope with and share his grief impact seriously on his marriage and he is unable to help others in the family who also have to cope with the loss and have deep secrets that they are unable to share.

As an escape, Kane buries himself in his work - tracking down a clever and sadistic serial killer. Kane is a rough and tough experienced detective who likes to do things in his own way and has little respect for bureaucracy. While this helps him to progress the case it also eventually endangers himself, and also his family. In "Song for the Asking" Kane's police work was peripheral to his relationships with his family. While family relationships are still important, this time Kane's police work takes precedence and threatens to impact on the family.

In the middle of all of this Gannon gives us a magical musical interlude when Kane's wife, a cellist with a symphony orchestra, has to take over a solo performance of Dvorak's Cello Concerto. Gannon describes this with feeling and emotion - reflecting a saying from the earlier book - "Although music can be many things ... music is the power to command emotion."

Kane is a non-stop action thriller, with surprising twists, and unforgettable conflicting scenes of horror and family love. It is a great read which I recommend strongly to anyone who likes a challenging story. As I said after reading "Song for the Asking" - after a powerful book I need to read something lighter next, like a sorbet to cleanse the palate between courses.

My copy of Kane was a promotional freebie, and contained a lengthy preview of Steve Gannon's next book "Allison" about Kane's only daughter. I loved what I read and can't wait for it to be published by the US Fall (or my Spring as I live Down-Under).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good mystery but too wordy, July 2, 2012
This review is from: Kane (A Kane Novel Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I read the other reviews and since I am addicted to mysteries and it was free I decided to give it a try. I did enjoy the actual mystery, however, some of the descriptions were way too detailed. I guess the term is to "tighten" up the novel. I skipped pages at a time of descriptions of things that had no bearing on the story. I also thought the "we are the Kane's" a bit overdone. It got to be annoying after a while.

What I found to be most refreshing was the book also included a team of investigators. It did not strain credibility by making us think that a detective works alone to solve the mystery. I liked that there was quite a few people actually involved.

On the whole if you focus on the actual mystery, it is a good read.

2.0 out of 5 stars great story, June 9, 2012
This review is from: Kane (A Kane Novel Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
But I didn't feel that the graphic rape scenes were necessary. The storyline is very similar to another book I read after this one by another author, and both had the graphic rape scenes with the same victim. I also had a problem with the "secret" held by the kids and there is NO way, a seasoned investigator or the coroner would not have known what happened in that house. It had the potential to be a great book but let me feeling sick to my stomach. Highly unlikely I'll read this author again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect novel, November 7, 2014
This review is from: Kane (A Kane Novel Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This is an absolute, hands-down, home run from fellow author Steve Gannon. First, I have read two to four books a month for decades, gravitating toward military, action-adventure, spy-type stories. For years I have followed the works of David Baldacci, Lee Child, Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Nelson DeMille, and James Rollins, and I would put Steve Gannon right in that class of writer. Ironically, this is the first detective novel I have ever read but I will be sure to read more by Mr. Gannon. He checks all the boxes on my wish list when it comes to reading: short chapters with cliffhangers, constant action moving forward, and dialogue-driven action. Mr. Gannon does a great job at handling the underlying subplots also. Nicely done, Mr. Gannon!

Nick Pignatelli - author of The Devil's Claw, An Adirondack Thriller

3.0 out of 5 stars the potential was there, but..., June 3, 2012
This review is from: Kane (A Kane Novel Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This novel could have been really good, but too often it comes off as if you're watching a really bad, cliched Tv show.

Strengths: The premise is intriguing; the details of real-life crime solving are fascinating; the protagonist's wife is an interesting character.

Weaknesses: Most of the characters are cardboard-cutout cliches; there is a weird disconnect between the gruff, blue collar manner in which Kane converses with other characters and the stilted, academic tone with which he tells the story to the reader; much of the writing and dialog between family members is painfully clumsy; the author tends to go into mind-numbing detail where its not necessary; the ending is absolutely preposterous.

All in all, it was okay, but could have been a lot better...

2.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad, May 12, 2013
This review is from: Kane (A Kane Novel Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I did manage to read to the end, skipping the gruesome (and overly lengthy) sexual torture scenes. Needs an editor because boring seduction scenes in California restaurants need humor, dialog, wit or insight to be riveting. As just a police procedural it's fine. Well worth 99 cents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kane, June 10, 2014
This review is from: Kane (A Kane Novel Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This is the third book I've read by Steve Gannon, all of them a Kane story. The first one I read was mainly about Allison, then the first one of the series and now this book. As were the first two, this book is a very good read. I like the honesty of the characters, the tightness of the plots and the realness of the overall stories. They are great police dramas, all extremely believable. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and recommend it to everyone who likes a good, taught action and suspense story about cops.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Kanes stand together...no matter what", May 20, 2013
This review is from: Kane (A Kane Novel) (Paperback)
A Song for the Asking has been one of my favorite novels since I read it many years ago (it is the first book in the Kane series and first was published in 1997). It is a phenomenal first book and to heighten your reading experience, you definitely should read it before Kane or the third book in the series - Allison.

KANE was different from ASFTA. For one thing, it is told in first person voice and ASFTA was told in third person. By doing this, the reader really gets to know Dan Kane, a complex character. In ASFTA, we got to see more of the brutal, crude, abusive, alcoholic side of Kane. In KANE, he is on the wagon, contrite for past abuses, more loving to his family. It is three years after the events of ASFTA and much has happened but in some ways, the family is still stuck in the past.

Complex characterization, a no-holds-barred police procedural about a VERY nasty serial killer, believable characters, angst, tears, family love and misunderstandings - all wrapped together in KANE, this second book in the series.

Wonderful, lyrical writing and a series I recommend to all who will listen. I'm now off to read ALLISON.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kane is an awesome read!, June 1, 2014
This review is from: Kane (A Kane Novel Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
The story was fantastic and kept me on the edge of my chair. I couldn't put it down. A great writer whom I shall most certainly keep track of. He ranks up there with David Baldacci novels.

Kane (A Kane Novel Series Book 2)
$3.99