5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!
This Kanex V2 adapter works as advertised. If you own a recent model MacBook Pro, this adapter will transmit BOTH video AND sound. I own the 15" i5 MacBook Pro and I can get both video and sound.

It's important for people who buy this to make sure that they set the System Preferences so that their video and sound work on their TVs.

First for Video,...
Published on November 6, 2010 by JCC

I have several HDMI to mini-display port adapters littered throughout my house. In fact, I have one hanging from each of my HD TVs "just in case" I ever need to hook up my Mac laptop.

Published on November 7, 2010 by J. York

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, November 6, 2010
JCC "Tech Maven" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kanex iAdapt Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support for Apple MacBook, iMac and Mac mini (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

First for Video, make sure you choose the the setting you want under ->System Preferences->Displays->Duplicate. I use this so that my TV will display exactly what's on my MacBook Pro. You can keep this unchecked if you want your TV to be an extension to your MacBook Pro. Just drag that second image of the screen meant to be your TV around until you have it the way you like.

Second, for the sound you have to make sure you choose the sound to transmit through the HDMI to your TV instead of through your Macbook Pro speakers. To do that go under ->System Preferences->Sound->Output->Your TV

That should do it! You will now have both video AND sound.

This device is a tiny little lightweight box which measures 2" x 1.25" x .5" and the length including the box is 7.25". Remember, you'll have to get your own male to male HDMI cable to use with this because it doesn't come with one.

3.0 out of 5 stars For 2010 MacBook Pro or later - but only stereo to my DenonAVR, November 7, 2010
J. York (Cypress, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

This adapter has a special advantage over the old ones: if you have a 2010 or later MacBook Pro, it carries the audio feed as well as the video feed! In my testing, this feature works exactly as advertised with one major caveat- the sound is in stereo, not 5.1 Dolby Digital!!!

On a 2009 MacBook Pro, the dongle provides a perfect HDMI conversion with no audio present (this is expected behavior). With a 2010 MacBook Pro, my attached Sharp Aquos TV showed up in the sound settings control panel as an audio output device. When I selected this device, the sound came through perfectly with no additional cables! This is a great feature and one that I greatly appreciate for new MBPs. Saddly when I tried this same test on my Denon AVR, all multi-channel sound was lost and squashed into stereo sound. Disappointing!

If you have a 2009 or older MacBook Pro, it would be foolish to spend this much money for a mini display port to HDMI adapter. And truth be told, for half of the price of this adapter, you can have a 5.1 optical audio cord and mini display port to HDMI video adapter. For those cases where you need the sleekest/easiest setup and are playing through stereo speakers (like on a TV), this is definitely the way to go!

As with other minidisplay port to HDMI adapters I've used, the video connection works immediately when plugged into the TV. I'm always impressed by how well my Mac handles this type of thing. I plug it in, and up pops Mac screen on my TV. Once I setup audio the first time, that too worked when I plugged the HDMI cord into this adapter.

This product would be 5 stars if it carried 5.1 audio. Instead, it is 2 channel audio and gets only 3 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after couple of weeks ..., February 18, 2011
It worked when I got it, without any reason after couple of regular usage with my TV it just broke. It should work longer than this I assume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with video and sound., November 23, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you have a more recent Mac laptop that has a mini-display-port connector and you want to output to that beautiful 50" screen at home..then this is your answer. Here is what I did and the equipment I used:

Output to Denon AVR-4305 - AV Receiver
TV: Samsung 52" LCD with 1080p
2nd TV: Panasonic 42" Plasma with 720p

The video and the sound are fantastic. As another reviewer suggested, you must tell your MAC via system preferences to either duplicate (mirror) the display and or extend your desktop to the larger display. In my case I duplicated the display and voila..what I saw on the laptop I saw on the screen... Naturally this means you need a long HDMI cable from your laptop to your TV or input device..depending on how close you are to the TV.

You will also need to tell your MAC to output audio via this device in system preferences...so that the sound is sent our via the miny display port.

This is a great product at a great price. Just be sure to adjust your video and audio outputs via System Preferences on your MAC and you will be good to go. This product may have different results on different TV's due to the resolutions supported by your particular TV. In my testing it worked fine on a 1080p display as well as an older Panasonic 720p Plasma.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buggy!, November 30, 2010
Just like the adapter sold in Apple store (Moshi Mini Displayport to HDMI) that also sends audio via MDP(Mini Displayport) it causes the iMac to freeze intermittently when switching sources. This happens when the HDMI cable goes from the MDP adapter to AV receiver and then from receiver to HDTV. However, if connected from MDP adapter to HDTV directly it works just fine. This isn't ideal in a home theater environment where all the sources (HTPC, PS3, XBOX 360, etc.) are plugged into a receiver.

The packaging doesn't come with any manual but the picture in front of the box that it's housed in clearly shows how to plugin the adapter. It does show that the HDMI cable from the adapter can be connected to either an HDTV or a projector or an AV receiver. So, according to the picture I shouldn't have any issue but I am and it seems like the product wasn't fully tested.

Before I bought the Moshi adapter I bought a Monoprice MDP adapter which was advertised to send audio and it's even written on the package but the audio doesn't work and Monoprice updated their product page to note that audio in fact is not supported. This Monoprice version doesn't cause any issue with the iMac. I can switch sources all day without causing iMac to freeze. It's just too bad the audio doesn't work.

So, I ended up ordering Toslink cable to handle audio and use the Monoprice MDP adapter to handle video for now and I will be returning the Moshi and Kanex adapters.

I am curious to try the adapters on a MacBook or a MacBook Pro just to see if the same problem occurs just to rule out that our brand new iMac is free of defect.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 6 months, November 6, 2011
This product was great with my macbook pro for six strong months until it stopped working randomly. There is clearly a problem with the connection between the adapter and the HDMI cable as the macbook recognizes the device and the tv but the tv does not find the signal. I've tried it with multiple TVs and different HDMI cables. I even tried restarting the computer and no success. SO beware this one will poop out on you if used regularly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked Perfectly, then stopped abruptly., February 14, 2012
This adapter was great. Inexpensive, and worked flawlessly and easily the first time I used it. I used it all the time, almost every day for maybe two months, and just yesterday it stopped working. Tried everything; I'm a mac geek. The computer recognizes it, but not the TV. Tried different HDMI cables, different TV inputs, etc, and nothing worked. But, this one gets the best reviews of them all, so I will probably just buy again to replace...

UPDATE: Bought a second one and it's been working perfectly for several months. Just be careful about how often you plug/unplug the adapter and handle with care.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked once and then never again, October 11, 2011
Bought this to connect my MacBook Pro to my TV. It worked once so I threw away the packaging, then the next time I went to use it it would not work. I tried many different methods to get the adapter to work, but it was to no avail. Perhaps I just got a dud product (it happens) but it is still extremely frustrating since I cannot return it. So my advice for anyone purchasing this product is to hold onto the packaging until you've used it a few times, because who knows what will happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the New MacBook Pro!, April 18, 2011
James E. Dion (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this to connect my 2011 model MacBook Pro with the new thunderbolt port to my plasma TV. It works perfectly, not only delivering an incredible 1080p picture but also fantastic sound. This HDMI adapter is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, November 1, 2010
I bought this adapter to use with my late 2010 model MacBook Air. It works perfectly and the audio and picture are both pristine. I'm very happy with this thing, highly recommended.

Rate and Discover Movies