Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 24, 1998
Kangaroo Care by Susan M. Luddington-Hoe, Susan K. Golant is one of the best things the parent of a premature baby can do for him/herself. It gives specific reasons for using Kangaroo Care (holding the baby skin-to-skin inside your clothes for a period of time daily) and includes the scientific research to back it up. For instance, research has found that a mother's skin temperature increases if the baby's temperature drops, and consequently, she is better at regulating the baby's temperature than an isolette or warmer. The authors give specific instructions which help the nervous parent handle his/her tiny baby and include a section on how to convince the hospital staff to give Kangaroo Care a try. Finally, it is written in a very reader-friendly, conversational tone. This book would be helpful for the parent of ANY newborn, but it should be required reading if your infant is premature.
on December 4, 2000
Three years ago, our 4th child - our tiny son - was born at 28 weeks. This book was loaned to me by the lactation consultant at my hospital while he was in Neonatal-ICU. It showed me that there really was a LOT I could do to help my child, and I wasted no time at all following the suggestions and advice in the book. The nurses caring for my son were very supportive when they found out I wanted to do this! Basically, the technique involves cuddling your naked baby on your bare chest - between the breasts is fine for mom, or in a "nursing" position. Whenever I held my baby with this skin-to-skin contact, tears of happiness and contentment would stream down my cheeks for several minutes. These were wonderful moments during terrifying times (we were not sure he'd live). And this is a wonderful book - worth it's weight in solid gold! I'm buying a copy to keep on hand in case any friends or relatives deliver a premie.
P.S. My son was able to leave the hospital at only 35 weeks post-conception (6 weeks earlier than the doctors estimated!) Today, he's a happy healthy 3-yr old.
on March 13, 2003
Our full-term (37wk) son was in the NICU due to a birth defect. This method was explained to us as we started to be able to hold him and I was trying to teach him to nurse. All I can say is IT WORKS. He was able to go home at 6 wks when we were told he would probably be in for than 3 mos. min. When you think about it it makes sense...this baby was inside you and close to you for however many months you carried him/her. Don't you think dropping the child in a "box" with no human contact would be a shock to the system? I think that "normal" babies could probably benefit from this too. Lord willing, I'll get a chance to prove my theory. :-)
on February 8, 2000
My daughter was born ten weeks premature and weighed 1270 grams. A wonderful social worker at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York gave me this out-of-print book to encourage my husband and me to do kangaroo care with our little girl. It was an amazing success! We placed our tiny baby over our hearts, skin to skin, for significant periods of time. Not all nurses were familiar with it, but were encouraging once they understood what we were doing. This book gave us the courage, information and confidence to perform what we believe was a critical aspect of her healthy development; not only in the neonatal unit, but until she was big enough to sit up. The book is helpful in explaining the background and theories underlying kangaroo care and describes how parents and health care providers can perform it with care. Our daughter is now a normal, 1 1/2 year old, healthy little girl. Our best wishes to parents of all preemies.
on September 3, 2004
I discovered this book in January, 1995, when it was very little known. My son was born 8 weeks premature in a Honolulu, hospital that had never heard of Kangaroo Care. He was transferred to NICU at a military hospital after 11 days so I never did the KC there, but I did pass my book on to my son's neonatologist in hopes that this would be available for future parents/premies. I did KC as often as I was able at the military hospital and my son came off all meds and monitors 3 wks after his early birth. All he had to do was gain weight. He come home a mere 4 weeks after his birth, and 4 weeks before he original due date! I continued to Kangaroo him at home, all day long some days and he gained so fast it was miraculous!

Two and a half years later I gave birth to a full term daughter but used KC again because, "it couldn't hurt" and we never suffered those backwards hours that newborns have and I bounced back faster after this birth because I was resting more. Kangaroo Care is worth buying, in fact buy two so you will still have one when you pass one on!! :-)
on July 8, 2006
Upon reading this book, one finds that it's very clear the author is extremely supportive of the use of Kangaroo Care to cure just about whatever may ail your premature baby. Despite the repetitiveness of this, the book is chock-full of just about everything you'd need to know about Kangaroo Care.

I also found it was quite informative in the realm of not only the care of preemies (and their signs of distress/contentment), but of full-term infants as well. So, if you're wondering how best to help your small and/or sick baby in the NICU, or are wondering just what benefits the act of such skin-to-skin contact can bring to both you and your full-term newborn, the book is a very good--and helpful--read.
on January 28, 2010
My son was born at 28 weeks gestation and shipped to the NICU, where he was deemed "the sickest baby in the NICU" simply because he was so tiny, so young. I was simply terrified of my own child, terrified to touch him, terrified of what might happen. On day three, a wonderful nurse told me I was going to hold him and in precise detail, told me how to strip down to Kangaroo my son. I held him and cried. For that day forward, I selfishly told each nurse that I wanted to Kangaroo my son, selfish because I craved holding him.

When I read this book (a mere 4 days later), it was so affirming to read how beneficial the technique was to him. Yes, I had heard it from the nurses and neonatologists. However, it wasn't until I read the book that I realized it was proven and factually better for him ... and that while I thought I was being selfish, I was actually being a wonderful mother to my little boy.

He is now sleeping peacefully in his crib. I happened upon my Kangaroo Care book earlier today and started crying happy tears, thinking back on our journey and how successfully he has grown and matured. Without the warmth instilled by this book, I am not sure those tears would have been as happy. If you have a preemie, you need this book ... it will completely affirm everything you may selfishly think is for you ... it is best for your Little One.
on July 8, 2006
Kangaroo care is an excellent book for people with preemee's. It takes you through all the aspects of what is happening during the first few days or months of your young ones life. Nothing is left to the imagination.
on September 4, 2012
I cannot count the number of times that I have recommended this book. I read it for the first time when I was in the hospital with my then 7 week premature baby girl and have bought it as shower gifts since. This book was so amazingly empowering for me as a woman, mother, parent and human being. I think that everyone should read this book - parent or otherwise.
on November 1, 2013
My baby girl was born at 28 weeks and stayed in the NICU for more than 3 months. The NICU nurses encouraged me to do kangaroo care from the very beginning. It was the first time I had heard about kangaroo care. Given my baby was born so premature and underweight I was ready to do whatever I can on my part to help her, including 9 hours of straight kangarooing if it would benefit her. And which I did. Obviously I wanted to learn more about it. Searched internet, but found only bits and pieces of information here and there. Given I am a biomedical researcher by profession, I wanted to know the nitty-gritty details about the kangaroo care including what scientific evidences there are to confirm its effectiveness.

And this book gave me those answers.

I know when you are a NICU parent, you feel so powerless at times. Kangaroo care gives you that power because it positively helps your baby. Even if you don't purchase this book, please do kangaroo care. My baby girl improved so much through kangaroo care. Now that my baby is home and almost 6 months old, I plan to donate this book to the NICU where she was cared for.

Well written.
Easy to read.
Very detailed which included a lot of scientific research findings on this topic.

However, I would not buy a hardcover. Not worth the money for a hardcover.