on September 5, 2011
So, I'll admit: this bottle wasn't so much purchased to fill a need as out of an appreciation for the design. That said, it has been my bedside water bottle for the last three months (as well as seeing some outdoor use) and I think I've used it enough to write a brief review.

Clearly, in terms of aesthetics, the cap is what sets this thing apart from most other bottles on the market. The simple design and bamboo elicit a certain understated elegance. With that, however, come certain disadvantages. The steel threads on the lid are definitely noisier against the bottle neck than the plastic lid. Also, if using the bottle in a very dry climate, the instructions note that the bamboo should be periodically oiled with a cutting board oil to keep it from cracking. As you could probably surmise, the carry ring is not nearly as ergonomic as that on the plastic caps, either. I can't speak to it's durability, but I'd be hesitant to put this bottle (that is, this lid) through the kind of abuse I've subjected other Klean Kanteen's to.

Really, this bottle comes down to a matter of priorities. If having your bottle be a design statement is your prerogative, or if you feel it's important that your water come in contact with nothing but food-grade steel, than this is probably the bottle for you. With the exception of the finish (which is more brushed than stippled like the pictures suggest), what you see is what you get with this bottle.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 27, 2011
I have to agree with the first reviewer and say that this water bottle is so great looking. I think their description of it being the Macintosh "computer" of water bottles is pretty accurate. I love that it is completely stainless steel except for the silicone ring and the bamboo top. You can screw the top off in about a turn and a half. I have not had any problems with leaking thus far. When I first took it out of the package, the inside had a funny smell to it. I hand washed it (even though it is supposedly dishwasher safe) and the funny smell is no more. There is no funny aftertaste to my drink either. Although, I have only used water in it. I am unsure of how it would fare with other beverages. Oh, and I have it in the mirror finish- which is so shiny & fabulous! =)

I lost my prized orange Nalgene bottle several years ago and had just never replaced it. A little while ago I went to the Klean Kanteen website to purchase a bottle. I saw the advertisement saying that the Reflect bottles were coming soon. I decided to hold out and purchase it once it was released. Boy, I am sure happy that I did!

UPDATE 12/7/2013: So I've had this bottle for about 2.5 years now, and I am still pleased with it. I use it daily. The actual bottle goes through the dishwasher frequently with no issues. I always hand wash the lid and have no issues either, as I ONLY drink water from this. I do have a nice dent in the side of it from dropping it one too many times, and a tiny chunk missing from the bamboo portion of the lid, also from my clumbsy hands. For a long time I used an insulator which would have prevented the dents, so I would recommend this. I have personally thought well worth the price.
on April 21, 2011
I just received the Reflect in Mirrored Stainless Steel. It is beautiful -- an adjective I never thought I would use to describe a bottle. As my title says, this looks like a bottle Apple would have designed. It is the same shape as the regular 27 oz. Kleen Kanteen bottle, but the polished stainless steel exterior gives it a high-end, simple, and clean look. The cap on the Reflect bottles with their stainless steel shell and bamboo top are different than the caps on the other Kleen Kanteen bottles and, aesthetically, a great match for the Reflect bottles.

After an initial washing of the bottle, I filled it up and tested it for leaks. Despite turning the bottle upside down and shaking vigorously no water leaked out, which should be expected. The top screws on and off very easily and quickly -- just one full turn to seal or open the bottle. As it states on Kleen Kanteen's website and with the material that came with the bottle, the bottle itself can be put in the dishwasher. But, the stainless steel cap with the bamboo top should not be cleaned in the dishwasher or submerged in water in order to prevent water from getting inside and creating sanitary issues.

I love the fact that the product is almost entirely made of stainless steel, other than the small bamboo round piece on the top of the cap and the one silicon ring around the interior part of the cap to prevent leaking. From an ecological standpoint, it is probably a good thing the product contains no paints, even eco-friendlier ones. I drink a lot of water throughout the day and am using this bottle in place of a glass so I expect the finish to hold up well. If you use this water bottle for more active uses then the polished finish may not be the best choice as I imagine it will show scratches and scuff marks more than the Reflect Brushed finish or the regular Kleen Kanteen stainless steel finish.

I was using a Sigg bottle for many years, but recently learned that their bottles -- at least the older ones -- actually contain BPA, which they chose to conceal from their customers. In addition, the coating on the inside of the neck of the bottle was coming off, which made me concerned that I might be ingesting small pieces of the coating material. Given the issues with Sigg, I decided to discontinue using my Sigg bottle and boycott the company's products. The fact that I can put the Kleen Kanteen bottle in the dishwasher is a nice benefit over the Sigg bottles, which need to be cleaned by hand. Another benefit of the Reflect bottle is the one turn on/off of the cap compared to several turns of the Sigg to seal or open the bottle. I think I will be very happy with the Kleen Kanteen Reflect bottle and will probably purchase one of the regular stainless steel bottles for outside use.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 24, 2013
This bottle is great. Well made and a very good, sturdy design. It looks good too with the bamboo cap and no plastic parts to crack, or paint to chip. I've had it for a while now (year or so) and so far it has held up very well. Some comments:

1) The threads and inside of the cap are all stainless steel. This is exactly what I wanted (I sometimes use it to transport a bottle of wine while camping, etc.), and so I consequently have no complaints about the resulting noise that accompanies screwing the cap on or off. It sounds like stainless steel rubbing together (just as you'd expect). I saw some reviews that complained about the sound being loud or grating. It's true, this is not a stealth water bottle. You might want to use something else while hunting. Otherwise I don't see that it's a problem.

2) The bale on the cap popped off once, but it's easy to put back on. While I'm driving, the bale can rattle against the side of the bottle if I'm on bumpy pavement. Again, not really a complaint so much as a comment on the limitations of the materials used. It's not a silent water bottle. This doesn't bother me, -- just saying.

3) It is very expensive for what it is. In a world where bottled water is available on every street corner, it might seem strange to pay this much for a canteen. However, as someone who likes to bring water with me frequently and who is not a fan of buying bottled water at a $/gal rate more expensive than gasoline, it's a good investment. I imagine it will last a lifetime if treated with care. Also, as I noted above, you can put other liquids in it (wine, orange juice, etc.) that might not deal well with lesser materials like plastic caps, coatings on the inside of aluminum bottes, etc. such as you might find in less expensive bottles. This to me is worth the premium. And did I mention that it looks really cool too? Again, worth a few extra $ to me since I use it often.

4) Pro: the opening is big enough to put ice cubes into it, and get a bottle brush inside comfortably. Con: it's sort of a wide opening to drink out of while driving or walking. Again, not a complaint so much as an observation. Depending upon how you want to use it, there might be better options for those who don't want to stop to take a drink.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase.
on November 15, 2012
The product itself is excellent and I generally trust Kleencanteen for my waterholding needs but when I purchased this specific model, the handle on the top came loose and broke off.

They used inferior glue and the top became unusable. So I ordered their classic wide-mouth model and returned this one.

The bamboo top and wide mouth version is indeed nice though. The mirrored stainless finish also gives it an attractive look and I love carrying it around.

I would be weary when purchasing THIS specific model but you out to check out their introductory model.

Pros:
+ No metal aftertaste
+ BPA free
+ Beautiful design/Stainless steel body
+ Great price

Cons:
- The top handle broke on me due to inferior glue
on May 17, 2014
I think my hobby is reading negative reviews of products on Amazon. I look there instead of at the positive reviews. Someone is always unhappy about something and I want to know why before I make my purchase.

Somewhere here there was a long discussion about the composition of this item (whether it was 18/8, I think) and, therefore, the safety of it. After all, if you're going to purchase a stainless steel water bottle instead of a cheaper plastic one, it ought to be worth the difference. Someone said to test it with a magnet; someone else said that that test didn't work. Wow. This was an intense discussion of metallurgy.

If you subscribe to the belief that plastic is harmful and are looking for a stainless steel water bottle, this company is a good one. I don't think this is made in China. I mention that for purposes of litigation in case you learn down the line that this doesn't meet safety standards.

I chose this type of lid (screw on and off) because I read comments about other water bottle lids that make a disgusting noise when you suck out them. The bamboo is a bit of a pain to work around (so it doesn't warp), but it hasn't been too much of a problem. I just scrub the sides and bottom.

It is a little pricey, so make sure you're not likely to lose it. I purchased this for children and they have managed to hang on to it (with help).

It does dent if you drop it. Since that doesn't affect the water, I don't mind; I didn't get out the mallet.

One problem is that the handle doesn't go all the way through the bamboo lid. That means it sometimes comes out. I've noticed this on both of the ones I own. That is a design flaw.

I've never had a problem with this leaking. However, we are still able to get the lids off without intense labor -- including the children.

This has a shiny finish.

It was cheaper to purchase it here than on their website. With Amazon's great return policy, I had to shop here.
on May 5, 2012
I used this water bottle very frequently for about 4 months. I love the look and materials. Here are some key words of caution however.

1) The water bottle is loud.

I can't take the water bottle to class because when I try to open it, it lets out that loud metal on metal screech. I'm used to the noise by now, but it can be bothersome to others. In particular, it really bothers my girlfriend! She won't let me use the water bottle in the house anymore.

2) I find it really hard to clean around the silicone ring.

I get a mold looking substance around the ring that's really hard to remove with just a conventional dish sponge. The mold clings to the inner side of the ring.

I hate to say it, but the mold and the noise really have dampened my use! Not sure how much more I can use this really nice looking and environmentally friendly water bottle!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 31, 2014
I own several Klean Kanteen bottles and this is my favorite. The bamboo cap and the etched in decals make this bottle unique.

The stainless steel bottles are extremely durable and require little maintenance. I throw the bottle in the dishwasher every few months and hand wash the cap.

I've dropped this bottle more times than I can count. Even if it hits concrete or asphalt, the bottle is indestructible.

PROS:

- Extremely Durable
- Requires very little cleaning/maintenance
- Will last a lifetime

CONS:

- Doesn't hold hot liquids
- Rubber gasket can become moldy if not cleaned
- Stainless steel cap rubbing against stainless steel bottle will create small metal particles over a long period of time (like years)

I've had this bottle for a few years now and I did notice microscopic metal particles attached to the side of the mouth opening. This is because the cap is made of stainless steel so when the bottle and cap are screwed together, they abrade on another. A quick wipe with a towel/napkin will remove the metal pieces or you can get a plastic cap and avoid this problem all together. It may be because I don't wash them very often but it took a couple years before this started happening. I'm sure with proper maintenance this would not be a problem.

You will not find a better water bottle!
on August 19, 2012
This eco-friendly water bottle has been a superb investment for me. Yeah, it makes a slight noise when you open/close it but there are ways to do it efficiently to not be a disturbance. I actually don't mind the noise, reminds me I'm being eco-friendly. I've used this in class and other public places with no disturbance whatsoever. The water has never tasted like metal or steel. I've knocked it over a few times and no scratches, I have the mirrored stainless steel. The condensation on my bottle is not an issue either. With any product, there's going to be some sort of "con," but all the pros to Klean Kanteen definitely out way the cons, in my opinion. People will always find something to complain about but I've had no regrets since purchasing this product! If you want an efficient eco-friendly water bottle that not only looks good but also functions awesomely, then get Klean Kanteen.
on February 8, 2012
I bought this particular Klean Kanteen because it has the stainless and bamboo top, no plastic. I've never been a "no plastic" fanatic until I started a healthier lifestyle due to severe arthritis spreading quickly into all my joints. After a 3 years of research I've come to the conclusion that plastics along with other things like microwave cooking could be contributing to our surge in inflammatory diseases. So I stopped buying plastic bottled water and got the new ZERO water pitcher w/filter, actually filters to Purified grade, yum yum, clean and pure tasting. And then I got this KK water bottle and I keep it in the fridge, filled with my purified water so when I'm leaving the house to run an errand I just grab my bottle & go. I got the mirrored finish and wow is it a classy looking bottle! BUT it sweats really bad, water pours all down the sides. So I came back to Amazon to find a sling for it since the average water bottle koozie doesn't work. I have one of the those zippered ones and you can get the bottle in it but it hangs open, can't even begin to zip it up. Right now in my cart I have the polka dotted sling for a 20 oz KK which by reading the reviews I found out will fit this 27 oz bottle. Hate to spend $15 for a sling but hopefully it will help with the sweating. Other than the sweating and a tad bit of metal taste when you're drinking from the lip I'm very happy with this Kanteen.