5.0 out of 5 stars Pay $20 or get it for FREE?
This edition is published on June 5, 2012, and I ordered it on the same day because I attended the Kaplan Free GRE Practice Test that afternoon and the speaker announced this new edition. So I purchased it for $20 with Amazon Prime because I want the access for the MSTs and verbal practice test.

***It arrived today and I figure something relatively...
Published on June 7, 2012 by Xavier

2.0 out of 5 stars Online content is limited
I bought this book primarily because of the online practice material only to find out that it's quite limited.

Published on June 28, 2012 by Luke B.

2.0 out of 5 stars Online content is limited, June 28, 2012
This review is from: Kaplan 2013 GRE® Premier: with 5 Online Practice Tests + DVD (Paperback)

It shows 10 practice sets for each quantitative and verbal sections in addition to the 5 practice tests. Unfortunately only 2 of the practice sets in each quantitative and verbal sections are actually available. I'm told that these other sets are "being added and will be available sometime in the future", but I'm still very disappointed.

Overall, the material can probably help increase a GRE score, but I was hoping for more accessible material that what's provided...

The claim of "online access to 900+ questions" is flatly false. Basic Math: 100 questions per practice test X 5 + 20 questions per practice "set" X 4 = 580 available practice questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pay $20 or get it for FREE?, June 7, 2012

***It arrived today and I figure something relatively interesting.

1. This 2013 Premier has no difference whatsoever comparing to 2011-2012 Premier Edition. The table of contents and pages are exactly the same. For instance, if I flip to P.248 in 2011-2012 Premier, it is chapter 13 talking about the kaplan method for data interpretation; and if I flip to the same page in 2013 Premier, SAME! I tried several pages as well and they are all the same.

2. After flipping to the 1st page from the book cover, I figured out that I dont really need to buy this book because all you need is a online book link, a keyword and a kaplan online account. If you have 2011-2012 Premier, just use the same keyword and you will have free access to all features in the 2013 Premier "AND" GRE Strategies, Practice and Review 2013, including the MST.

3. Good thing it cost $20 to own for a 575 pages book unlike those college student rip off textbooks or course readers that cost over $100 - $200 that you don't even know if you will be flipping them at all. I know I purchased $120 hardcover textbook that the professor does not require us to know anything about it because the exam is directly from the lecture notes and worksheet. The textbook itself is just supplemental for your reference.

4. I dont think it is worth it signing up for those on-site classes for $600 just for GRE, even the just the Verbal (4 classes) by itself will not help too much. It really depends on the time you spend on memorizing the vocab and analyzing the questions for verbal. Quantitative reasoning just requires careful calculation, interpretation and experience using the "what if" idea on the comparison. For AW, that you need to have your own database or training in order to score high.
I think most grad school will accept the new GRE above 300, but should aim for at least AW 4.5-5.0 , V160, Q160 to be on the safe side.

3.0 out of 5 stars Online Tests Don't Work - Got 2 functional practice sets out of 10 promised sets, July 11, 2012
J. Jun (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
You do NOT get 10 practice sets for each section.
You get 2 that work for each section. The rest have problems loading images, answers, and questions.
I've tried e-mailing Tech Support a couple times (5 days ago, 2 days ago), but have received no replies.

So I got some strategies, 2 practice sets for each section, and a diagnostic test.

The answers are very thorough, but it's not much use when the questions themselves are too easy.
I haven't taken the test yet, but I just bought Barron's math book, and Kaplan's math section looks ridiculous in comparison.

-----

Update: After this review was posted, Kaplan sent me an e-mail informing me that they had reset all my practice tests. They also gave me a question bank of 2500 free questions. The question bank was convenient and let me generate customized tests where I could select the type, difficulty, and number of questions I wanted. I've updated this from a 2 to a 3.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money! 100% identical to cheaper 2011-12 edition!, December 18, 2012
Kaplan is interested in one thing and one thing only, making as much money as possible using as little effort as possible. This book, I kid you not, is identical page by page to the 2011-2012 edition. Do not waste your money. Buy the 2011-12 edition for cheap and forget this 2013 gimmick. It doesn't even offer as much online material as the 2012 edition! The only thing that I could find potentially beneficial about this version is that it claims to grant you "computer adapted tests" (like the ones on the real thing) online....but given its similarity to the 2011-2012 edition thus far I would not be surprised if the online tests are identical too. But, admittedly, I have yet to take them. Overall I have been quite displeased with Kaplan products. This book is a flagrant example of this company milks a product for all its got. Don't be fooled.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for practice question, not good for math explanation., April 28, 2013
If you're just looking for some practice sets, this text is great. There is ample opportunity to practice, practice, practice.

If you're looking for a thorough review of algebra, geometry, stats, data interpretation, all those problem-solving foundation skills you learned / never learned in high school, I suggest starting with a text like Manhattan GRE. I'm frustrated with this Kaplan book because it explains how to do each problem differently, rather than providing me the skills to solve an array of questions. There's plenty of opportunity to practice though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kaplan GRE 2013, June 15, 2012
So far I like this book pretty well. It's very thorough and it gives some fairly good strategies for success on the GRE. I have yet to take the actual test, so I can't say for sure how well it's helped me overall. I will say that the online set up that comes with the purchase of the book, could be a lot better. For me it's been a maze just to get to the online practice test. You have to jump through a bunch of advertisement hoops, etc. I'm hoping they don't sell my email address. We'll see. I eventually just went to the ETS website to take an online practice test using their software. I got tired of dealing with the Kaplan online stuff. So, I like the book but the online stuff isn't so great. I didn't purchase previous versions of this book so I am not sure how it compares. I wouldve rated it 5 stars but didn't because of the access to the online portion of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked Great for me, February 15, 2014
I took the GRE a few years ago right before the revision without studying and scored a 1210 (710 math (64 percentile), 500 verbal (57 percentile). I thought I could do better, so when I decided to apply to grad school this upcoming fall I made the effort to study for the GRE. I used this book as well as the online tests included with the book and scored a 163 on the math (87 percentile) and 161 verbal (87 percentile) which is equivalent to a 780 on math and 620 on the verbal for a total score of 1400 on the old scoring scale. For reference, when I took the first GRE, I was 2 years removed from finishing my undergrad in Civil Engineering. When I took it the 2nd time, it had been more than 4 years since I was in college, so I was really rusty both times. The book is really easy to read through, I recommend going through it and reading the sections you really need to focus on. Do the paper practice sessions in the book and follow up with the online tests. I think I completed 3 complete practice tests online before I took the real thing. I studied for about 6 weeks for about 5-6 hours a week. So it wasn't a lot of effort for such a massive improvement. Do yourself a favor and buy the book, study, and do well on the tests.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Resource Ever to depend on,, July 29, 2013
Seriously guys, Don't do the same mistake I did and waste your money and TIME in such a bad book like this one, the explanation are so bad, examples are unclear, gives only samples on each case, so you don't feel confident, this comes to me after buying a different recourse, which was full of examples and theories, also has a discussion boards which allow you to ask a question and they will reply you back in very short time, but Kaplan all they care about is asking you for additional money to purchase additional questions and makes u feel that you need their online or on campus training to pay a lot of money for them, that's what Kaplan care about, while the recourse I use is many many time cheaper, so save time, and ignore this book

3.0 out of 5 stars Great tips and guidelines but practice paper-based test was not like the real test, November 19, 2012
I bought "Kaplan 2013 GRE Premier" and "Cracking the GRE 2013" from Princeton. I didn't dedicate much time to study for the exam so the concise explanations and tips from Kaplan on all of the sections worked perfectly to freshen up my memory. The math appendix had everything I needed while for vocabulary I used the Hit Parade Groups from "Cracking the GRE". If you need a more detailed review for the math section, starting from a really basic level, I recommend "Cracking the GRE". About the paper I enjoyed the white, thicker paper in the Kaplan book and was a little annoyed with the paper used in the Princeton book, but that's just me.
On the other hand, I bought both books to prepare for the paper-based test I took last Saturday. I completed both printed tests on the Kaplan book and one on the Princeton to practice the timing and had very successful results. Those tests had 20 questions for each section (30 min for each of the verbal sections and 35 for each of the math sections). However, while doing the first section of the test, I realized it had 25 questions and so did the rest (with 35 min for verbal, 40 min for math). Since I wasn't prepared for those extra questions I ended up guessing, without being able to read any content, about 5-6 questions per section for three of the sections which is TERRIBLE! I only finished one in time. I realized later that it could have been my mistake because I used 2013 books and took the exam in 2012. I have no idea if it changes for next year or something. What I recommend is that if there is anyone thinking of buying or studying with these 2013 books be sure that the exam is going to be the same. The PDF "Practice Book for the Paper-based GRE Revised General Test", which can be downloaded from the ETS webpage, is exactly like the real GRE. Since it was digital, I decided to use only the printed material I had.. very bad choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for last minute test takers, August 10, 2013
I had to take the GRE in two weeks because I decided at the last second to apply for business school. Highly recommended! If you're good at math, but not excellent or needed a refresher, you can skim the pages and do some exercises. Then take the practice tests and go over what you did wrong - fast and easy way to refresh your memory and excel on the test!

Kaplan 2013 GRE® Premier: with 5 Online Practice Tests + DVD