Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kaplan GED: Complete Self-Study Guide for the GED Tests
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on October 14, 2009
The book needs some work, its a little confusing and not always accurate, I use it to tutor people for the GED test, and as someone who has been to high school and went to college, I wouldn't say it is the easiest learning tool for a beginner, I would recommend McGraw-Hill's GED. Although this is an opinion and not every persons studying is the same, so this may work better for you.
on July 20, 2009
Great help to get your HS degree exam if you have not completed your HS. I am helping my grandaughter go through it all, and it is easy for me also. And very up to day ('09-'10) and from a good company.
on September 27, 2009
I ordered this GED study book for my niece. It arrived very quickly, and was in excellent condition. The book has an "easy to follow" format which is good for kids who need simplicity for motivation. I would definitely recommend for anyone needing a GED resource.
on May 29, 2012
The book is okay, but be aware that there are numerous errors in the text. Many of these, unfortunately, are in the practice exercises, so if you check your work with the answers in the back of the book, you will likely get 1-2 wrong in several exercises. I am not aware if there is an errata sheet(s) available from the publisher, as my time frame for testing was short and I just wanted a quick brush-up.

Explanations of the material are sufficient, and there are many exercises in the book.

I used this text along with McGraw-Hill's GED w/ CD-ROM: The Most Complete and Reliable Study Program for the GED Tests. I would recommend anyone seriously trying to get 750+ on the tests, use both books, as the Kaplan title doesn't have a CD with practice tests, and more exposure to the material allows for an expedient passing of all the challenges associated with the GED exam battery.

How I got 770 average -

Science: Spend a few weeks watching T.V. on channels that carry nature shows to buff up on terms related to animals, plants, and geology in addition to the texts. This will allow you to get familiar with terms that aren't in the books, but are on the GED exams. If you have solid reading skills, the science portion will be a breeze.

Math: Do all the practice material in the books. Take the practice tests on the McGraw-Hill CD, and polish up any area that's lacking, by revisiting both of the texts.

Writing: Have a solid grasp of a 5 paragraph essay. Be prepared to talk about life experience, my question required discussion of a past experience. If you have trouble, trace your hand on a piece of paper. Put your Main Topic in the thumb area, and your conclusion in the pinky. Use the 3 remaining fingers for paragraph topics -- when you change idea, change paragraph. Check your spelling. Use a few big words that are well placed. Good idea to type yourself a practice essay in a word processor, then use the thesaurus to expand your vocabulary.

English: Have a good idea how to use commas, verb tense, and subject-verb agreement. Understand where a period is needed; and when a semicolon can be used.

Reading: Be prepared to put your thinking cap on. Not all of the answers will necessarily coincide with the text. It will require you to think outside of the box, and perhaps interpret what the writer was saying.

When testing: Read every question word-for-word, all the way to the end. On two of my tests, the answer appeared to be one option easily chosen -- but certain phrases toward the end of the prompt made this untrue.

If you are concerned about a particular section, visit the testing center as many have Adult Ed. GED classes that can prep you, free of charge.
on May 29, 2009
The book is complete with pretests, evaluations,explainations, and practice tests. It gives lots of hints to help you be successful when taking the GED.
on October 3, 2013
This past Tuesday I PASSED MY MATH!! I got a 420 on It and you better believe I was so proud of myself. I almost fell when I found out because I was never good at math and avoided it a lot , but one thing I learned YOU CAN NOT AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO AVOID MATH IN YOUR LIFE. PERIOD. Ok the first time I took the test I failed it with a 360, BUT that was because for 1.) I didn't study with the Casio fx-260 calculator , which I HIGHLY recommend that you study with it. It's only $10.00 and some change at staples. I wasted A LOT of valuable time trying to figure out how to work it. And 2.) I had quite a few Geometry questions on my first test which I didn't really pay attention to the first time around studying.
I will tell you that you will more than likely pass if you STUDY HARD. When your studying and you come across something you don't really understand DO NOT MOVE ON work your way through it. YouTube helped me TONS too they have a lot of video's that explain things very easily and your looking like wow ok. that was easy lol. When it comes to equations on the test like solving for x all you have to do is plug in each of the answer choices until you find which one makes the equation true. Another tip I have while taking the test if you come across a problem , you do your calculations and you realize hey this answer the calculator gave me is not a answer choice. USE YOUR COMMON SENSE. Ex: If you get a calculation answer of 360,000 and one of the answer choices is 360, then you know 360 is your answer!! Don't let stress get the best of you and if you could ask the examiner to allow you to sit in the back and not between people because that's what happened to me the first time and I felt CRUSHED!! Not the second time tho :) The main thing you have to do is believe in yourself, talk to yourself at times to motivate your inner spirit. I used HUMOR a lot while studying and it might sound silly but it helped. I would tell myself , wow you really didn't know this at first LOL it's so easy. I still can't believe I passed because I honestly felt that math would hold me back. BUT NOPE! I refused to let it, I'm 22 , all I have left is the writing (which I know I'm going to pass) and I'm doneeee!! Good luck to you all and God Bless!
on May 17, 2010
I was in need for help getting my GED it helped me out a lot before I enrolled in GED Preparation Classes. Recommended for anyone trying to get there GED without preparation classes.
on November 29, 2010
I really like this book so far because i have taken my time with it and i don't have to shell out a lot of money for a tutor every week to understand the concepts in each section! I recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to go to a tutor or a adult learning school. Just be consistent with it because it takes a lot of work with the sections that you might have trouble understanding. Like myself, i don't like science or mathematics very much so those that i focus on those subjects instead of reading, writing, english, or us history because those are my good subjects, lol!
on February 9, 2010
The 2009-2010 Kapaln GED book is well organized and comprehensive. It systematically takes you through all sections of the test. The only negative I can come up with is its somewhat overwhelming size! I wish the sections could be removed for individual study so there would not be so many pages to shuffle through.
on January 25, 2011
I purchased this book in March of 2009, took the test in December, and am currently enrolled in college. After being out of school for 10+ years this book is easy to understand and follow; it also includes the answers and explanations in the back. Get it today and further your education NOW! :)