Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Honestly, this thing works quite well, and it's almost fun to use. I've cleaned about 25 large windows, and I'm having an argument with myself. Most "infomercial" type specialty gadgets end up in a forgotten corner of the closet. But I'm not sure about this. It's a beautifully designed and manufactured piece of cleaning equipment that works very well, but has its minor hassles.

This is a way to use the excellent squeegee method of window cleaning in places where the flood of dirty slobber from a normal squeegee would be ruinous. Indoor window & mirror cleaning...some of your outdoor window cleaning...some of your car window cleaning. Most helpful if you do a lot of windows at once.

When the novelty factor wears off, you might use it for 40% of your window cleaning. Or 70%, or 0%. Honestly, I'm not sure where I'll end up. 4-stars or 2-stars?

The squeegee method (vac or manual) is faster, easier, and uses way less rags/towels.

But...

1. You still have to scrub any stubborn spots by hand.

2. You still have to touch up some edges with a quick wipe.

3. Bits of Windex spray out the exhaust vents. (see Note 1)

4. Try to keep it upright. Sideways squeegee action makes the spray-exhaust worse.

5. You need to rinse out the Karcher when you're done (less than 90 seconds, with practice).

If you double-team it -- one person with Karcher, one person follows with a rag for stubborn spots and final clean-up -- you could to do a dozen large windows very quickly...under a minute each. In either case, I start with the Karcher, which removes 99% of the dirt. Stubborn spots then stand out, and can be easily worked with a scrubber or coarse rag.

PROs:

- It works quite well
- Better than using rags/towels but only sometimes better than a regular squeegee
- Rubber squeegee blade is top quality. Wipes very clean.
- Windex run-off does not flood the window sill, track, or wall below
- Fewer side-streaks than a regular squeegee
- Quality plastics, excellent fit, durable look & feel
- Li-Ion battery gives 20 minutes between charges (see Note 2)
- Ergonomic, lightweight, stands on end
- Excellent all-around design

OKs:

- Quiet enough...Not annoying
- User manual is helpful (but has some silly warnings. See Note 3)
- Indicator light shows when charging is done

CONs:

- Windex sprays out the exhaust ports. This is its biggest design flaw. (see Tips and Note 1)
- You have to clean & recharge it each time.
- Power adapter wastes 2.1 watts while idle (see Note 4)
- Limited life - Replacement battery not currently available (see Note 5)
- Proprietary squeegee blade (replacement hassle & expense)

- - - Size & Weight - - -

- 14" tall, blade is 11" wide
- 1.6 lbs

- - - Tips - - -

Vent diaper: I solved the drool/spray problem by sliding an old sock over the vents. See posted photo. Pen caps ensure air flow is not hampered.

- - - Notes - - -

Note 1: Exhaust Spray - The manual's solution for this is to "empty the dirt water reservoir." But this problem starts after 2 or 3 windows...when the reservoir is 10-15% full. Even if you keep the vac upright at all times. The spray is a combination of mist and droplets, which gets on the windows and potentially on furniture, etc. Plus, small amounts of aerated Windex drip off the bottom of the Vac. See "vent diaper" tip above.

Note 2: 20 minutes between charges - At about 20 seconds per large window, that's enough for 60 large windows.

Note 3: Owner Manual - Available for download...Tries to be very helpful...Lots of specs...Favorite silly warning: "Do not use outdoors or on wet surfaces." Really?

Note 4: Power adapter wastes 2.1 watts while idle. (2.4 watts if attached to the vac.) That's $2 - 6 a year, if you leave it plugged in all the time. Seems like small change, but you have 5-15 of these wall warts in your home (over a billion in the US). Most of today's transformer plugs are smarter than this.

Note 5: Replacement battery is not on Karcher's extensive parts replacement list.

~~~ Comments & questions welcome ~~~
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
Saw this item in my in-flight magazine (which has some good ideas, obviously) and thought I'd give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised: the parts are well designed to assemble/disassemble quickly, the battery charges pretty fast, and I was able to clean my windows with absolutely no problem whatever. I'm not finicky, so my procedure might not be suited to everyone's taste, but it was rapid & effective for me. I simply equip myself with a couple of cloth towels & a sprayer full of Windex; hold the Vacuum in my left hand (since I'm right handed), squirt the Windex on the window starting at the top. Set the bottle down & using my right hand smear the Windex around to lift dirt. Wipe that hand on a towel, switch the Vacuum to the right hand and proceed with squeegee action. With a little practice, the whole window takes a half a minute or so, depending on how dirty it was.
Best thing about it, I think, is the sturdiness of the product. It's really basic, no frills, no gimmicks; just vacuums up the dirty Windex. Done.
As I said, I'm not squeamish about getting my hands wet or dirty; you could wear gloves, I suppose, if you don't want to get Windex on them. Beats using newspaper or paper towels by a mile!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Smaller, quieter and far more useful than you might think!

We've probably had close to a dozen dust busters over the years so I was initially pretty jaded about this device. It's basically a squeegee connected to a wet-dry dust buster.

I was thinking it would be heavy and loud. I was very pleasantly surprised to see how small and light it is. It's also very quiet - I guess it really doesn't need much power to suck up the water from the squeegee.

After letting it fully charge, I tried it out in our bathroom. I used a Scotch Brite Blue sponge with some dish soap and simply sudsed up the mirror. Trigger button turns on the suction, press again to turn off. It cleaned the mirror very well. It took just a little practice to avoid the smudge marks on the side of the squeegee.

While it does a fantastic job on windows and mirrors - that's not something I do every day. Counters, on the other hand....It really amazed me. Same drill - suds up with the sponge, then squeegee and suction at the same time. WOW!

Next, I did the kitchen. I can really see this saving a lot of time. If you're going to suck up kitchen counter residue, you may want to clean the tank more thoroughly. Fortunately the collection tank does remove (You have to detatch the large nozzle first and twist off the "snorkel") so you can properly it out.

Plus: Lithium battery means it's light and you don't have to worry about charging it all the time.

Minus - Initially I was thinking the squeegee could be wider, but then it would probably be awkward in the corners. My main complaint is that the drain plug is hard to open and I'm afraid it might eventually break.

If you have any comments, questions, or if you found this review helpful, please let me know!
on September 1, 2011
Verified Purchase
Before buying it, I was a little bit skeptical, BUT IT IS A PURE MARVEL ! No more dripping on the floor, no need anymore to put a cloth on the floor to protect it. What I like the most is when cleaning a big surface in two stages, there is no "partition line" showing at all. Works great on glass tables too. Very quick to clean
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I hate cleaning my windows and shower surround. OK...I hate cleaning in general but the windows are the worst. Especially my storm doors. The dogs and cat are always licking the glass and it is a never-ending chore.

I received the Karcher Cordless Wet Vac and read the instruction booklet. The Vac came in two pieces (base and the squeegee head). The Squeegee head snapped onto the base effortlessly. I then immediately plugged it in to the charger base. It took about an hour and a half to charge the vac the first time out of the box. It might take less time but I plugged it in and forgot about for that amount of time so I don't really know exactly when the blinking red lights turned fixed.

Once it was charged I grabbed the bottle of ammonia window cleaner and sprayed my back storm door. The door was fairly dirty but not coated with anything that looked like it needed heavy scrubbing. I sprayed the window cleaner and powered on the Wet Vac. I started at the top of the door and pulled the Wet Vac down according to the instructions. The machine did a great job of sucking up the liquid but there were still dirty marks left on the glass that easily came off by me rubbing thumb on them. So, the squeegee blade is not impressing me at this point as far as removing residue.

After the storm doors I tackled the shower door. This was coated with some nasty soap scum and I used a leading shower stall cleaner. After I let the shower cleaner do its thing for a few minutes I returned with the Karcher to vac up the mess. I again used the machine in the straight lines from top to bottom. The vac did a good job of vacuuming up the liquid like it did on the storm door but left streaky gloppy messes of scum on the door.

After experimenting with the storm door and shower door I decided to empty the catch chamber. There is a "pull out" plug that allows you to just drain the chamber out through a small hole (about the size of a diameter of a pencil) or you can remove the entire residue chamber in order to rinse it out. The pull out plug is very tight. Every time I tried to remove just the part that covered the drain hole I pulled out the part that connected it to the machine itself. So, I then rubbed some vaseline onto the plug part so it would pop out more easily without the whole darn piece coming off.

The blade head pops off as easily as it pops on as well in order to clean it properly. The manual advises to NOT put it in the dishwasher. It cleans very easily under warm water.

It took me about 12 minutes of run time to conduct the tests on this product. After the tests I kept the machine going on the counter to see how long the charge would last. It went an additional 15 minutes before it pooped out. I would imagine if those 15 minutes would have been in actual use the run time would have been less. I would say you would get a good 20-25 minutes of actual use on an hour or so charge time.

This is not an awful product. However, I am not sure how really useful it is. I think if you started out with clean windows and doors and shower stalls then it would be good for easy maintenance. But its claims that it will reduce or eliminate you having to scrub anything is stretching it in my opinion.

The price is another consideration. I honestly would NOT pay $70.00 for this product. All it really does is eliminate the water mess from using a standard squeegee. I think it was a good idea but fails in its execution.

I tried to find replacement blades for it (there are screws in the blade head that indicate they can be replaced) but I couldn't find any.

Bottom Line: If you get this as a gift great...you might find it useful if you use it solely for maintenance cleaning on a regular basis but don't expect it to clean gunked up surfaces any better than a spray bottle and paper towel.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 2, 2011
I live in a loft on a farm in Provence and we have quite a few windows plus a very large Italian tile shower with an all-glass enclosure that's under perpetual attack from the high limestone residue in the water. I was therefore eager to find a product that could help me manage the job because doing all this with a standard squeegee turned out to be bothersome and downright messy with the windows. I already owned a Kärcher pressure washer with which I'm quite happy so I was well predisposed toward the brand when I saw the WV50 advertised and decided to give it a try despite the fairly high price tag.
Out of the box the unit is well built and requires almost no assembly. The supplied window washer bottle/scrubber and sample cleaning solution were also no problem to put together. Charging takes a little while longer than I'd like compared to my lightning-fast Ryobi 18v charger but I didn't have to wait 24 hours for the first charge as the manual did not specify it, so I tested it as soon as the ready light stopped blinking.
Anyway, like the name says, this is a little wet vac with a squeegee head and it sucks all the liquid from the glass you're cleaning for a no-drip window washing experience that's a joy to anyone with even the mildest case of gadget-itis... I've used it almost every day since I bought it with no problems at all to date (about 5 weeks at present writing). It works well on vertical windows and also on difficult angles such as roof windows like we have in the bedroom area under the rafters. The liquid goes into a small tank in the handle that is emptied via a drain hole that has a pop-out rubber cap. When overfilled, or if you tilt the unit at too steep an angle compared to how much liquid is in there, it just kind of sputters some liquid out of the vents to let you know that it has to be drained.
The provided window cleaner squirt bottle is in my opinion a little superfluous as I prefer to just spray some Windex and scrub with a soft-scrubbing Scotch Brite sponge. If available, I'd buy the version that does not come with it if it's cheaper as I did not find any usefulness to the thing so far. But this does not qualify as a criticism as really the main attraction is the vacuum itself and its performance has so far been stellar.
Overall I'm very happy and I'd rate the product as "Highly recommended".
on February 23, 2012
I bought my Karcher WV 50 window vac plus the 17cm blade, it's just another expensive gadget you don't really need, and simply NOT worth the money, a 3 hour battery charge for only 20 minutes actual work is just not long enough, plus it has very low suction power.. OK for bathroom tiles maybe, but that's about all, I much prefer to use a squeegee & rubber wipe blade for my windows for a proper job anyday.. My advice is save yourself some money £££££.. A decent Squeegee & rubber Wipe blade does a much better job and still leaves windows dry.. (all my other Karcher items are really excellent) but this "POWERLESS WV50" is just another expensive gimmick!!!
on February 26, 2011
Verified Purchase
This little machine does the hard work for you. Simply scrub your windows with whatever you like (window wash, or my favorite, a dishrag with dish soap) and the machine vacuums away all the water, streak free. It runs on a battery charger, and it is very lightweight which is a great thing. The handle also allows for some extra reach for those tall windows for which you might rather not haul out a chair or stool. Great for quick touchups of bathroom mirror and shower tile as well. Where was this all my life?
on January 31, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is a tool that will help you get shiny windows faster. I have so far only used industrial strength windex and I like the results. I have read reviews on using regular dish washer detergent or vinegar, too. I have used it on windows and used it only once on a bathroom mirror; couldn't get the corners right. I am happy with the window performance. Some facts: 1) it is important to use the tool from top to down mostly - if you try to use it on a horizontal surface that has significant amount of water you get water coming out from sides - the ventilation holes; a scary sight indeed, but it keeps running afterwards. Do not try to use it immediately if this happens to you too; let it stand for a while. The tank was not even one quarter full when this happened; it looks like the bursting leak is due to the design of tank connection. Keeping the tool upright on its base is a good habit when using this product, 2) There is a warning 'not to use it outdoors; I guess this is related to this issue; although the previous issue came up with regular indoor use - I wouldn't recommend using it outdoors after a rain or on wet surfaces based on potential problems - You are of course going to use it outdoors. Outside of windows is why I purchased this product, and I surely used it outdoors - on the truely problematic side of the windows. I rinsed the windows earlier with the garden hose. The dirty water tank is not large but it is sufficient to easily keep up with a couple large windows. 3) After a couple of uses the rubber will get dirty and leave traces on the surface; you can clean the attachment and try again or just go over the area using your conventional methods - I use a paper towel to go over it a second round especially the corners always need a second round. It still is worth it as it reduces the amount of work you would have to put in to clean windows otherwise. It would be nice to have a secondary attachment so you can use one on clean home surfaces; I could not for instance use it on kitchen counters after cleaning the dirty windows. The attachment comes off for through cleaning; but I would expect the rubber to get distorted if you use harsh chemicals/tools to clean it. This must be the reason why outdoor use is not recommended. I use dish washing detergent and warm water to clean the head attachment. I wouldn't depend on it for that variety of purposes as advertised; you should decide on the most important jobs and stick to it.

I would recommend it to those who like streak free windows with less effort. I guess a review after a long term use would be more useful to judge the performance
on November 1, 2011
Verified Purchase
I bought this after seeing it advertised in Australia (I was on vacation...I live in the US). I ADORE this tool! I spray down a window with window cleaner, casually wipe it, spray it again and use the tool. It's spotless with no streaks! I absolutely love it!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations