5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for Kare Kano beginners, April 7, 2008
Joey (Bexley, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances Collection, Vols. 1-3 (Paperback)
This cheap and money saving collection of volumes 1 through three was a great collection to get me to start reading the Manga. The whole series so far has been an amazing ride. This was heart-racing and was full of suspense for the relationship of Arima and Yukino (could be mispelled or not even her name). I've also enjoyed reading Tsudo diary, a small diary that the manga artist put after every volume. It's quite funny.

Shojo fans will be thrilled, beginning Shojo fans will be shocked, and boys will fall in love with the genre with the popular series. I recommend this collection for those who want to start the series. Why wait with suspense for volumes two when you can just read them right away?

The bad thing is.. it's not the whole series. I better go and get myself volume four before it's sold out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, September 24, 2014
~3.5/5

[More of my reviews are available on my blog, Geeky Reading, to which there's a link on my profile.]

I was really surprised by this volume. The series has caught my eye several times, but I’ve never got around devoting to collecting it, but my local bookstore had this omnibus in, so I went ahead and got it. I figured it would be cute, funny, but I didn’t have particularly high expectations, so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

First off, I really liked the characters. Yukino is self-centered, full of herself, works hard to be the top student so people will praise her. Arima, on the other hand, also tries hard to be the top student, to be perfect, but because he doesn’t want to be like his parents. Yukino thinks that they’re competing, only to find out that Arima likes her. She doesn’t know how to handle this at first, before admitting to herself that she likes him back.

Firstly, I was really surprised with how fast the two moved, although I really liked that. It usually takes the main couple forever to get together, but they’d confessed and were going out by the second volume, and then kissed by the third. It usually takes ten to twenty volumes for any other shojo series, so I liked that. And while the two moved rather fast, they’re both still very innocent and chaste and shy. It’s really cute. This is definitely not a smutty series, and I really don’t know where this series is going to go, since I know it’s twenty-plus volumes.

I also really want to get my hands on the next volume soon. I liked the characters, I liked their growth and their relationships with their families (and would like to get to know their parents better, because I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far). I want to meet their actual friends, or for them to make friends. Plus there’s a possible bully on the horizon (and a rival for Yukino, I think), and I really want to see where that goes.

I don’t know when I’ll be getting any more volumes, but I hope sometime in the near-ish future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The drama we could never hope for., July 18, 2008
Kare Kano is a Japanese high school drama that my girlfriend got me into. As a guy I am embarrassed to say that I like it. I am, however, hooked and I will own the whole series before the year is out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of my 50+ Manga Titles, Kare Kano really shines!, August 1, 2009
First let me tell everyone what this manga is and what it is not. Kare Kano is a romantic comedy that focuses more on the relationships and the characters then any other manga I have read so far. The characters are well done; easy to relate to and to like. In fact, having read through the whole series they feel like real people with flaws. Besides the romance in Kare Kano, the series is about growing and finding yourself. After the two main characters meet each others, they struggle to overcome their pasts and "shed their masks" to become the person they are afraid to show others in fear of being rejected.

As for what this manga is not: the manga is not about action, giant robots, blood + gore (though there is a little in a tiny scene), harem, ecchi, or fan service.

I personally believe it takes a level of maturity in order to relate to the problems the characters are facing; however, for a 3 in 1 manga for about twelve bucks: I highly recommend anyone remotely interested in romantic comedies to pick this one up.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome!, June 29, 2013
better condition than I expected and came quicker than I thought it would, very pleased all round! Would definitely buy again when I do my next manga-run

Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances Collection, Vols. 1-3
Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances Collection, Vols. 1-3 by Masami Tsuda (Paperback - February 5, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01