Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

67%
33%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 10, 2009
Interesting, refreshing, different. Worth the purchase. The poems were fun, the illustrations hillarious. I would recommend the purchase of this little book to anyone who enjoys irreverent humor.
on July 28, 2012
His poetry has insight, whit, warmth, fun, satire, irreverence, jabs of wisdom, and affirms good living. Philip Appleman has a sense of informed "joi de vivre", I share. To my mind, today's and yesterday's, silly, ossified, intellectual impediments to human flourishing deserve, so very richly, to be just blown away. And Appleman happily obliges.

As a poet, there's no need to construct positions. It doesn't mean such aren't there, but the breezy impression here, is that these poems are based upon observation and living. This poet often, quite gracefully and pointedly, sticks warning labels about imbibing unhealthy thinking. Right on. If one doesn't share his assumptions, this will be a hard read. Fair warning. But..if you do...he's quite refreshing. I'm in the latter category.

Among his targets are modern art, culture, religion...Catholic, Jewish...and whatever the rigid fundamentalist clap trap mind concocts to hold people in sway...including, and even especially, the Bible. The equally irreverent Arnold Roth cartoons are a successful compliment to the poems...all, with Roth's usual vulgarian, spot on, social snap shot sensibility.
on February 24, 2013
I was just an average reader only reading when necessary but when I first heard of this poet on the Bill Moyers Show on PBS, I was hooked. Mr. Appleman, is very clever with words without being boring and very talented in creating a rhythm of words to form short sentences which I like, to make a point on all emotional levels, an excellent set of poems. I now have ordered other books from Philip Appleman. Thank you.
on March 7, 2013
Very enjoyable....just wish it was longer, i.e. more poems. Saw him on Moyers and knew his poems would be worthwhile and entertaining. The drawings add to it all.
on March 10, 2014
I did not order this and I want to know if some one is using my credit card for these orders??? I did not order the Mindful brain either!!!!
on October 10, 2013
I do not recommend. I expected something way more profound and clever, What a disappointment! I won't buy anymore books by this author.