5.0 out of 5 stars Great AV Product
Published on September 19, 2011 by Logical Paradox

3.0 out of 5 stars Tech Support Scam
Published on December 19, 2011 by Michael J. Hoctor

5.0 out of 5 stars Great AV Product, September 19, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Antivirus can be a controversial subject. If you ask 20 different computer entusiasts or IT professionals what the best AV product is, you will not only get 20 different answers, but almost as many angry shouts about how horrible everybody else's picks were. Similarly, and only to make matters worse, if you do your research and read the "10 best antivirus products of 2011" articles then you will see that the rankings change all the time. Every year it seems some "who-the-heck-is-that" antivirus product makes it on to the number 1 or 2 spot for the major roundups. More frustrating is the fact that from site to site and review to review, the conclusions can be schizophrenic--with one site's number 1 pick being the other site's worst of the crop. From my own experience, I will tell you that no antivirus is a silver bullet, they all will catch some malware that others miss, and vice versa. Beware of fanboys and beware too of haters. But most of all, beware of anyone who gives you their opinion based on a "story", be it sad or happy. The 1 star reviews angry because they got a rootkit and the glowing reviews saying they've been happily using Antivirus 2010 since forever and have never had a problem.

There's your qualification and sobriety check. Now, here's my measured opinion. I'm a long time Norton user that first came across Kaspersky a few years back when Norton products were getting worse every year. Norton saved themselves with a fabulous 2010 release (and a 2011 to rival it), but Kaspersky who was once a dark horse antivirus no one had heard of has stuck around and made a name for itself. It's a good product and I don't hesitate to recommend it. I often recommend Kaspersky in business environments, but this is more due to the superiority of their Server Administration Kit than their AV Engine itself. Still, their AV consistently ranks among the best, and no I don't care where they happen to fall out of the top 10 in a given year. Try not to get caught up in the horse race there, as there simply is no good objective way to quantifiably say one AV is better at protecting you than another. I've found their protection to be solid and reliable and among the best out there, but you can drive the world's safest car and still get killed in an accident. Kaspersky 2012 is easy to install and configure and doesn't seem to have as many potentially perplexing options as Norton does deep in its bowels. 2012 is not especially efficient (Norton 2011 and Eset's Nod32 seem to have much smaller footprints), but Kaspersky does have a nice Gamer mode that can be flipped on when you want to play games. I've found Kaspersky has difficulty installing on systems previously inhabited (I would say infected, but then my own biases would show) by AVG or Macafee, but that is as much the fault of those products as it is their fault, and its a common problem for one AV to interfere with the installation of another, even after it's "uninstalled". I find that Kaspersky is one of the quietest AV products I've used and doesn't nag you the way many products tend to do.

All in all, there are lots of decent AV products out there, some of them free, but there's only 3 I would wholeheartedly endorse with my personal and professional reputation on the line and Kaspersky is one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will forget it's Running, November 19, 2011
This review is from: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012 - 1 User [Old Version] (Software)
I had been using AVG the free version for maybe 4 years. I always thought it did adequate job for me. I don't do file sharing. I don't open up strange emails. GMail does a good job separating the spam mails. I picked up an annoying trojan somewhere. My computer still functioned perfectly. AVG would open a warning window. I would tell AVG to quarantine and or remove the file. aVG was not able to solve this issue.

I downloaded Kaspersky Antivirus 2012 and saved the exec file to HD. Then I uninstalled AVG. I rebooted. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I searched my program files folder to look for a remnant of the AVG programs folder. I think I remember finding an AVG folder. It was just a folder with a couple files in there. I deleted the remaining AVG folder. I went to the recycle bin and deleted the folder again just to make sure.

I installed the trial version of Kaspersky antivirus I had downloaded. The install went smoothly. I let the program do it's thing updating and running a scan. I don't think it took very long. Between the DELL laptop and a 2.0 Gb external backup drive, I have about 900 Gb of data. Maybe it took an hour, maybe longer. I just don't know. Kaspersky runs in the backround so you don't even know it's there. Well, Kaspersky did find 4 files that were a problem. AVG had found only one and couldn't fix the problem. Kaspersky fixed all the problem files. The only irritating thing about the trial version is that every time the computer is booted up, Kaspersky asks you to buy a license. It's no big deal, though.

I ran the trial for about 3 weeks. To buy a license number online costs about forty or fifty bucks. I ordered the retail box from amazon at around $26.00 for a one year license. when I got the box, I just entered the serial number from the outside of the CD envelope that was packaged inside the retail box. I didn't have to reinstall anything. Very painless. I like that. Well, since I licensed Kaspersky, I haven't noticed anything at all. It just runs in the backround and does it's scans and checks my internet downloads. It doesn't bother me. It just lets me know occasionally what's going on by showing a progress window. I don't see any reason to try any other antivirus for my needs. I really don't need the internet security version. I am not using multiple PCs. I don't do much browsing on my phone either so I don't feel the need for the other versions with all the extra features. Norton is a good product, but eventually experienced computer users grow out of it. I think it's been almost 10 years since I last used Norton. Kaspersky has made me a happy camper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid antivirus protection, September 21, 2011
Leslie (Midwestern USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have this software installed on a desktop and a laptop with Windows XP. It's been running for a few days now and it is performing well. It was easy to configure and does what I expect from an anitvirus program. It updates automatically, scans files and email and monitors incoming web traffic for dangerous scripts. It doesn't slow down my system or nag me with pop-ups. Once it's configured it disappears into the background. To be clear, any program that's running in the background is going to use some memory. This software has a small footprint in comparison to others and no slow down was experienced.

Prior to installation I removed the antivirus software I was currently running as recommended in the quick start instruction guide. After removal I put the Kaspersky DVD in the computer and it popped up a user friendly interface and I began the installation.

The first thing I did after installation was complete was to click on the 'Update' button which downloaded the current antivirus database. The software will do this automatically in the future. The default settings are optimal for most users and can be left as is. More experienced or adventurous users may want to go into the settings section and tweak the configurations for better performance. Don't worry, there is a 'restore' button which will return settings to factory configuration if it gets messed up.

I wanted to test the software to see if it was working and would detect a virus. I am hesitent to inject a live virus into my system so instead I ran the EICAR virus test and Kaspersky generated a warning and deleted the file immediately. I didn't even have to run a scan, it just picked it up. (EICAR is a fake virus and is safe to put on your computer. To run the EICAR test do a google search and follow the instructions on one of the many sites it will direct you to).

The program comes with a set of tools including:
- Rescue disk wizard.
- Microsoft Windows Troubleshooting. Searches for damaged and irregular settings caused by malware, system failure, or incorrectly functioning system utilities.
- Privacy cleaner.
- Browser configuration. Analyzes internet explorer settings for security issues.

A few other features which I have not yet tested are instant messenger scanning, a virtual keyboard and game mode. Online and technical support is available.

I've tried many different antivirus programs and this is one I would recommend. It doesn't use up a lot of memory or suffer from the bloatware issues I've experienced with the two biggest sellers. The price compares favorably with other brands and this is a 3-user license. There are free antivirus alternatives, however they provide only antivirus scanning, none of the extras and no support. Kaspersky provides a complete, feature-rich package.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kaspersky the nr. 1 security provider for your p.c., November 15, 2011
Sjoffer (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
After tested many of the major brands plus some that are less known in the past decade, I've been a steady customer of Kaspersky Internet Security for many years now. I have to say that I haven't tested all of the related software available, but Kaspersky, certainly when you speak of the major brands, is without a doubt the best at internet security. Their virus scanner is the best in their class. I also praise them because of the many options by which you can configure your security and the tutorials and all other scans you do using this piece of software. I use a lot more protection since nothings is foolproof as many of use will know, but the company keeps on getting better each year, like the this year newly added feature of cloud protection.

I really recommend this product to everybody.

I haven't tried the spam training on any edition since I don't need it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tech Support Scam, December 19, 2011
Michael J. Hoctor (Gainesville, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I have had Kaspersky Internet Security for two years. The program is great, but I encountered a problem with installation. When I tried to find the technical support number for the product, it was no where to be found on my invoice. I then went out on the internet to try and find technical support for Kaspersky product installation. However I encountered a bogus support line, that was trying to sell me additional products without helping me with my installation problem. If Kaspersky would put a tech support number on the internet invoice I received after purchasing the new 2012 edition of Internet Security, I would have been able to solve my problem without encountering a bogus site online.

5.0 out of 5 stars More effective than almost any other antivirus software, July 8, 2012
If you're looking for a solid, functional, effective product that will keep your Windows computer virus-free, this is what you're looking for.

EFFECTIVENESS
Depending on who you ask, at this point in time, BitDefender and G Data also have products that perform about as well as Kaspersky (KAV). But do some research and you'll see that KAV ranks #1 in outbreak response, and close to #1 (varies slightly by study) in detection and repair rate (98-99 percent).

RELIABILITY
Kaspersky Labs is globally known as one of the fastest responders to malware outbreaks. And they push updates to their users much faster than Norton and McAfee. (Exact numbers vary by study and year, so I would suggest additional research if you need more convincing.)

CPU USAGE
This, I would say, is one of KAV's weaker areas. It's far from a small program, so your computer will be very slow for an additional minute or two, as your computer starts up and KAV loads. Beyond the startup time, I haven't had any major concerns. If you're fairly familiar with how your computer operates, you'll be able to tell that KAV is running in the background. But it doesn't slow your computer down terribly (unless you have a cheap, lower-end PC).

MY EXPERIENCE
I've been using KAV for about five years now. And I recommend it to everyone I know. Kaspersky consistently finds malware that other paid antiviruses (including Norton and McAfee) couldn't. One computer I switched from Norton to Kaspersky had around 40 infected files on it. (Yikes!)

RECOMMENDATION
Don't bother with the CD. Previous reviewers seem to have had problems with the disc, but it's completely unnecessary. In essence, you're paying for the license key, not the disc. Instead, go to Kaspersky's website, download the program (which already has the latest updates) and run the free trial now. When the product arrives in the mail, then you can type the license key into the program. It's so much easier than messing around with the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012, January 1, 2012
I orginally used Norton for years but after purchasing a new computer at Best Buy over a year ago, Kaspersky was installed on it. I have liked it better than Norton and have become a Kaspersky customer. When my 2011 ran out I searched for the Cheapest buy and found the 2012 here on Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Support From Kaspersky, January 2, 2012
I have bought this software before with great results. This time however, the software came without the code needed to activate it. When I contacted Kaspersky Customer Service I was literally told that their policy was to only assist those individuals who purchased the software through them and not through a third party. The statement was made that getting a good buy wasn't always the best way to go. Thanks to assistance from the vendor, Universal Exports, and Amazon, I have been supplied with a replacement and now Kaspersky is willing to help. Imagine that! I have never found a company, until now, that was not willing to stand behind their product and their distributors.

1.0 out of 5 stars M Glod from OH is right on the money......, March 11, 2012
and I will quote him:

"Granted, they do have a help/support site that gives you alternate methods of intallation (command prompt, etc.) but the instructions are so confusing and convoluted that it would try the patience of any beany-wearing computer geek to muster. I'm not a novice with PCs and have worked in Tech Support for more than 25 years as well as doing some freelance work, but this product has done more to try my patience than any other I've encountered."

Thank you, M Glod.

I AM a NON-techie who spent over 2 hours trying to install this software AND trying to find answers and/or ANYONE on the site that I could contact. The whole frustrating process put me in tears.

I could not get past the "remove incompatible apps" process. I am on a new computer and had Norton and McAfee that came with the system. I uninstalled both. Still wouldn't install. It was locking up my computer and forcing an abnormal shutdown.

I read the online list of unacceptable apps which was pages long. I don't know if any of that stuff was on my computer but are they expecting you to compare item by item?

I went online looking for a contact number. Was directed to the Forum. Tried to register and constantly got an error msg. I've used this forum style many times so am familiar with how it works. Bottom line - I could not get registered, let alone have the opportunity to ask for help.

Finally found another page that allowed me to submit an email. Filled out this fairly lengthy form and hit the "submit email" link. Sorry, not a link. Just plain text. What the )*(&* are these people thinking? Why do you go to the trouble of setting up this page and then can't test to see if you have a workable "submit" button?

One more time...........

"...that gives you alternate methods of intallation (command prompt, etc.) but the instructions are so confusing and convoluted that it would try the patience of any beany-wearing computer geek to muster."

They are severely confusing and convoluted to this very upset customer and this product has been wrapped and labeled for return.

Amazon's excellent return system is the best in the world. They are the only bright spot in this purchase.

I've now downloaded AVG with no hassle, no hangups, no confusion, no convolution and no time wasted. Must have taken all of 5 minutes and it automatically prompted me to do a scan. I did.

Buy ANYthing other than this piece of junk.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, April 13, 2012
PROS:
Great virus engine though in my opinion Bitdefender has the best.
Best firewall.
Doesn't slow down my computer ( intel i3, 6 GB RAM) at all and the memory and CPU usage is fairly low. With no apps running, my CPU usage hovers around 0-5 percent and kaspersky RAM usage is under 35MB most of the times. You won't find many security suites lighter than this and the ones that are like webroot have nothing on Kaspersky security wise.
Easy to use. Great for novices who don't want to be inundated with constant prompts but also great for advanced level users who can configure/ add exceptions etc. to their liking.
great improvement over their 2011 suite which made the computer hang at times.
CONS:
scanning can take some while and does make the computer a bit slow.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012 - 1 User [Old Version]
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012 - 1 User [Old Version] by Lilac Maternity (Windows Vista / XP Home Edition / XP Professional)
$70.00 $19.95