4.0 out of 5 stars Used as an everyday commute laptop bag, sometimes camera bag
Published on April 12, 2011 by SL

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, and poorly designed
My expectations from this bag were: It should work as a regular commute bag without the insert. With the insert it must hold a laptop and a camera and some lenses, allowing easy access to the camera. I tried this bag, but was unhappy and in the end returned it and got a Tenba Small Messenger instead.

Pros and Cons: It is very spacious, even with the...
Published on August 29, 2011 by Basu

4.0 out of 5 stars Used as an everyday commute laptop bag, sometimes camera bag, April 12, 2011
This review is from: Kata Bumblebee DL-210 Backpack -Black (Camera)
I chose this bag as my everyday commute bag and my sometimes camera bag. after watching the videos on Kata's website i saw what the bag was designed for, then decided what i could use it for. i needed a bag for when i am out shooting and carrying photography gear but more so i needed an everyday commute bag. it works well on my frame as i am 6'0", 190 lbs and have wide shoulders.

gear a use on a regular basis... 13" macbook pro, power supply, 2.5" external hard drive, nikon D5000 with 18 - 105mm lens, 50mm prime lens, ipad w/charger (only when not carrying laptop, i do not know how i would carry both), stainless steel bowl for breakfast cereal, some fruit/yogurt/snacks, stainless water bottle, leatherman, pens, sharpies, small multi screwdriver, small notebook, packable raincoat.

some quick thoughts on this bag:
doesn't "look" like a camera bag.
lots of padding for all my gear.
holds larger than my 13" macbook probably, can handle a 17" though it suggests 15".
top and bottom separation to the main compartment which is removable if you want to use one large section. you would lose the camera protections if you use it this way.
lower compartment is split to the sections made for a camera with lens as well as two more lenses or accessories.
upper compartment does not have separators. i have used this section to carry my lunch and snacks to work on a daily basis.
small upper section for pens, screwdrivers, etc.
plenty of loops for carabiners to attach whatever.
two upper handle, one at the very top and one slightly on a 45º.
side zip for you tripod legs and several straps for you to strap the upper portion of the tripod to one of the upper loops.
elastic bottle holder / tripod holder which perfectly fits my daily stainless steel water bottle.
chest strap and waist strap for stabilization. shoulder straps and back are well padded, this bag is very comfortable to wear. i strap it across my chest for optimal stabilization when walking 20-30 minutes to work.
comes with a raincoat for the bag... i dont like this feature for everyday use, though i understand its purpose if i was a photographer in the field. the bag holds up pretty well in light rain, i have yet to be in a downpour with it, though summer is coming... i may need that raincoat. (i use it as extra padding for my camera).

some drawbacks to this bag:
hard to carry books while carrying a laptop if you keep the upper and lower sections separated. works fine if separator is removed and not carrying a camera.
not rated as waterproof (as some of my previous commuter bags were).
bulky because of all the extra padding.
generally no room for spare clothes, etc.

would be 5 stars if more than one of the following...
was waterproof.
had heavier duty zippers.
had a section inside for some papers without jamming them in with the laptop.
had more small, quick access, external zip pockets.
had a hidden pocket of some sort.

well worth the price for a camera / commute bag.
there are better options for a pure commute bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Dad Diaper Bag, November 5, 2011
This review is from: Kata Bumblebee DL-210 Backpack -Black (Camera)
I have had is bag for almost 6 months and love it. I store diapers, snacks, wipes, and toys in the top compartmet. In the padded camera section I always have my nikon digital slr with an extra lens and charger. Depending where we are goingIi slip my ipad with otterbox case in the laptop sleeve with plenty of room to spare. There are plenty of pockets for sunscreen, water bottles, or a spare outift for my son. The tripod straps are perfect to add any extra pair of shoes, jacket, or shopping cart cover. There are a few stiched webbing loops on one side perfect to add a few clips for extra. I haven't been disappointed yet carrying this around an aquarium, museum, or the beach with my family and still have my arms free to carry my son. Truly an all around fantastic bag. I read a lot of review before settling on this bag.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, and poorly designed, August 29, 2011
This review is from: Kata Bumblebee DL-210 Backpack -Black (Camera)

Pros and Cons: It is very spacious, even with the photo-insert. The bag feels very nice on the back, and the straps are very comfortable. A tripod attaches to the bag very nicely. Build quality is excellent, with the exception of the separator between the lower and upper halves and some of the zippers, which are of poor quality. Also, without the photo insert, the floor of the bag is very flimsy (which to my mind should be the most sturdily built surface). This negates its use as a laptop-friendly bag ready to take rough treatment. The Kata Bumblebee DL-210 doesn't work very well as a camera bag either, because taking the camera out is an absolute pain. You HAVE TO set the bag down horizontally to retrieve the camera.

If you just want a commute backpack (which is what you get on removing the photo insert) you wouldn't buy this bag. It is overpriced and slightly flimsy for that purpose. Similarly, if you want a bag that allows easy access to your camera, and has space for other stuff this doesn't work very well either.

The only way I can see this bag being useful (and justifying its pricetag) is if someone wants a very comfortable camera+laptop bag with very good padding, and the ability to hold a tripod, but is willing to sacrifice easy camera access.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy and very well designed bag, June 14, 2013
Great bag to hold your equipment safely. Very comfortable to wear and lug around even in hot climate. I still don't see how to fit my detached 70-200 2.8, though the product spec says that you can fit one. Gear includes Nikon D800, 24-70 2.8, 50 1.2, 14-24 2.8, SB900. I keep the 70-200 in the top compartment and the manfrotto tripod 190CXPRO4. The Manfrotto Monopod is too long to fit on the side.

4.0 out of 5 stars Holds camera and laptop, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Kata Bumblebee DL-210 Backpack -Black (Camera)
I'm a big fan of Kata bags. Kata makes good quality products, this being one of them.

Pros:
-Fits a DSLR, and 2-3 lenses and a flash
-Fits a 70-200 F2.8 in the large pocket (but you have to secure it)
-Fits a 15" macbook pro as well
-Compartment for batteries, mem cards, filters etc.
-Has a mesh zip inside the camera compartment for extra safety in case you don't fully zip it up all the way.
-Relatively light

Cons:
-Unless you're putting the body in the top compartment, you have to take the backpack off to get access. So if you're looking for a quick access bag, this is not it.

I had a Kata R-103. Loved the bag and built like a tank....but weighed as much as a tank! This bag is the right balance, holds camera, lenses and laptops and would make a nice travel bag. But for an everyday bag, I'm moving to a Messenger style with quick access.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's overpriced...but it does the job., May 8, 2013
Aaron (Miami, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
Update (2013-05-25):
It would be wrong of me to not state here any additional observations/experiences noted after the previous review was written. So here goes:

1. In the main compartment I was able to squeeze my Canon 5D Mark II with the Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L lens attached to it. I used the top compartment to hold the additional lenses as well as filters, etc.
2. With the Canon 50 f/1.4 lens attached, I was able to fit that and the Canon 24-105 f/4L OR the Canon 16-35 f/2.8L into the main camera compartment. If any other lens was attached, the fit would have been really tight and this would make it difficult to remove the camera quickly from the bag. If any other of my lenses are attached, I simply don't place additional lenses in that compartment.
3. It was noted that the weight distribution improves with added weight AND a tighter strap adjustment. It does not feel as awkward to carry around as it did with less weight.

I am still not impressed with the zips - these are simply not robust enough given the preciousness of the intended contents. The bag I believe is still overpriced, but I have upgraded the rating to three (3) stars (up from two stars) given what was stated above.

Original Review:
I have had this bag for approximately four (4) months now. I have a Canon 5D Mark II and four (4) lenses and wanted a small knapsack to carry less gear around. Attached to the camera is the Carry Speed strap I got for it (http://www.amazon.com/Original-Carry-Speed-FS-Pro-Camera/dp/B0093A3N5C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367997084&sr=8-2&keywords=carry+speed) so this adds to the bulk of the equipment when stowing it away.

I bought this bag from Amazon.com - I am not from the US, so I did not get to see it in a store or somewhere else prior to making the purchase. I had looked at several videos and photos of the bag in making my decision. The transaction was smooth with Amazon, not a problem.

PROS:
1. The bag is a small and lightweight knapsack.
2. The idea of a separate compartment for miscellaneous items is nice and appreciated.
3. Side pockets are convenient.
4. The weatherproof cover is nicely sized for the bag. The bright yellow colour of that cover is good for when walking in dark places or along the roadway.
5. The straps to secure the bag around the chest and waist are easily tucked away when not in use.
6. The laptop compartment is decent. When my laptop is not in the bag, I am able fold and stow my jacket away in there very nicely.
7. The padding is sufficient for my camera needs but because the camera is at the base of the bag, I expected more padding at the very base.

CONS:
1. The straps need to be adjusted so that the bag is high on your back - the top of the bag needs to be just about at the shoulders. If any lower, the base of the bag pivots against my lower back and this is very uncomfortable. FYI: I am six feet tall - for a shorter person, this adjustment may not be an issue.
2. The zips are not very sturdy. And because the camera is at the base of the bag, I usually secure the zips together to ensure that they would not separate and the camera fall out. But given it is a tight fit as I mentioned before, this is not highly likely. It still is a concern of mine, however.
3. I can only carry the camera body with one lens attached (usually the 24-105 f/4L or the 50 f/1.4) in the designated compartment. Any additional lenses would need to be stored in another compartment; else it is a very tight fit and it becomes difficult to pull out/stow away the camera easily. Do recall that I have that Carry Speed strap installed so this would take up some room.
4. No clip to hold a key ring.
5. Personally, I do not like how the weight is distributed in this bag. The design intent is really good (having the camera at the base of the bag) but there is a lot left to be desired in terms of the final result. This bag feels heavier than it otherwise should. By comparison, I have another knapsack to carry ALL my gear in (the Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack) and this Lowepro bag does not 'feel' much heavier on my back despite the additional weight being noteworthy. The strap adjustment for that bag helped a lot with that.

Overall, I think that it is a decent bag to carry two lenses (one attached to the camera body). I also think that it is a bit overpriced given the cons stated here. If it was closer to $80 to $90 USD or so then I would have given it three (3) stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars the best laptop/camera/ working backpack out there., May 5, 2013
® (West Coast) - See all my reviews
I buy a lot of working bags, laptop bags, bicycle and camera bags. This bag can replace my kennth cole messenger bag for work, vaude biking bag with air vent, Think Tank Airport Ultralight V2.5 as my main photography bag or my kata 3in1 for light photography and my tumi t-tech work laptop bag. The top half of the bag can hold my lunch, cap, or something very box square in size. Front folder maybe some personal stuff. To the back it an fit my 15inch vaio, and of course the lower half of the bag is big enough to fit my nikon d600 with a battery grip. The longest lens I can have attach to the body is a 85mm 1.4. Holds a few smaller lenses on the side and a speedlight. Basically it can't really carry all my photo gear like my think thank, but enough for city photo stroll and to work. I found out a lot of narrower camera bags can't hold the a camera with battery grip ad a lens attached.

Features:
+the is a feature rich bag.
+hold many type of items safety: camera, laptop and personal.
+material is very good, not as cool as tumi.
+Kata makes great bags in all price range. Lowepro, Tamrack, thinktank at this price are not as good, you get their generic model. This bag doesn't look generic at all.
+great looking design. My kata 3in1 bag was cool looking 2.5 years ago as it is now.

-it is hard to get my d600 with battery grip out. My 3in 1 kata and thinktank has no issues. I think the camera compartment is a tad tight in general.
-unlike the ultra expensive ultra-light, d-light without the air vent lift on the back can get sweaty as all other bag.

Neutral
this bag is the cheapest bumblebee and also the smallest. All other kata Ultra-light and pro-light are very bulky or ginormous. Like a big ladybudy on your back. While my thinktank looks like a box it is actually narrower then this kata. This model odes taper from top to bottom so it looks like a normal backback unlike a square thinkank.

All this great review on this bag and I ended up exchanging it for an older Kata Bug-203 which had a price drop. It was the old elite kata bumblebee bag. To me the ultimate camera/work/laptop bag with an air vent in the back would be the Kata KT UL-MB-111. Sadly it is too expensive, but if you don't want back sweat stain (or not as much) get that. I was set on getting the Kata Bumblebee UL-222 which was on a 25% sale at my local camera store, but that thing is so big and heavy. The useless waist belt makes it huge and heavier. All I need is a little strap and that is fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, October 8, 2014
This review is from: Kata Bumblebee DL-210 Backpack -Black (Camera)
I really like the design and make up of the Kata camera bags and initially I bought the UL-222but realized it was too big for me especially since I wanted to use it for travelling.

The bag is very durable and light which makes it a great item to start off with. The front design of the bag is easy to access for my canon lenses and speedlite. I was able to fit a 24-105mm/16-35mm/50mm/14mm fisheye and my speedlite into this compartment. The top part of the bag offers enough space for me to slot in my 5D MK II with attached lens when needed or simply just carring my camera body along with flash trigger/receivers. My vaio 15 inch notebook slots in nicely into the back.

I traveled with this bag on our honeymoon to Europe and carried this bag daily through 3 different countries with all the equipment listed above along with a manfrotto tripod. I know we are all scared of thieves and pickpockets who steal from the bag, especially with zips that are easily accessible, so whenever I was walking in the streets I used the raincover and covered the bag. This was a great way to hide the bag openings from any unwanted hands.

This was a great bag for me and I do recommend it to those of you who is in the market for something in this range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect backback for carrying laptop & mirrorless system camera gear, June 24, 2014
This review is from: Kata Bumblebee DL-210 Backpack -Black (Camera)
I wanted a compact backpack to carry my Macbook Air, iPad and Olympus OMD system. This backpack is the perfect size and has a nice padded compartment for the camera gear.

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what I needed, March 4, 2014
This review is from: Kata Bumblebee DL-210 Backpack -Black (Camera)
was in need of a camera bag with laptop slot and the amazonbasics was/is out of stock for 3-5 months! After some research, i decided on this bag. upon receiving it, I was very happy! not only did my gripped dslr fit, but almost all of my equipment fit!

Kata Bumblebee DL-210 Backpack -Black