5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent filter
Published on November 28, 2006 by Cadenza

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective batch on a usually good product
I have owned one of these gravity filters for over 8 years and have never had a problem. This unit sold at Amazon is the same one I've had all these years. We used ours overseas while doing missionary work.

Published on October 20, 2007 by Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent filter, November 28, 2006
Cadenza (SoCal, CA - USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Katadyn TRK Drip Gravidyn Water Filter (Sports)
I purchased the TRK Drip Filter (Gravidyn) as a gift for a relative (for home use) in southeast Asia whose water supply is from a well. The criteria were: ceramic element, compact, plastic or synthetic housing. As I've used Katadyn Combi Filter for backpacking and occasionally at home for 6 years, Katadyn was high on my list. IMO, ceramic elements give the best filtration. The initial cost is high but their value is realized through durability and long life. This unit has been in service since January '06, filtering ~10L/day or a total of ~3,300L (864 gallons) so far. The Activated Carbon (A/C) portion of the filter is effective for 6 months but the ceramic is good for 39,000 gallons (~148,980L). What I like most about this filter: fast flow rate (3 elements), impregnated silver-oxide prevents fungus/mildew growth on/in the element.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective batch on a usually good product, October 20, 2007
This review is from: Katadyn TRK Drip Gravidyn Water Filter (Sports)

I ordered a new one recently from Amazon so we would have one while on furlough in the USA. Sadly I have returned two of them because the spout hole has been drilled too large. It's actually a bit oblong. It leaks if you don't tighten the spout down tight and leaks if you tighten it down because the washers collapse into the hole. I called Katadyn after the second time and asked for a new lower bucket with the correct size hole. They could not do this and told me to return it to Amazon.

Amazon has been great with the first exchange and now the return. It's just too bad that they got a bad lot recently. Hopefully you won't get one that is defective like the ones I got. It is not supposed to leak around the spout. If it does, return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold standard for water filtering, July 27, 2007
This review is from: Katadyn TRK Drip Gravidyn Water Filter (Sports)
Ever since testing katadyn filters in Leptospirosis-laced waters in Hawaii, and then traveling for a month in India where the multi-filter katadyn was the household standard, I've been sold on their line of products. When it came time for me to consider a water filtration system for my home, I immediately investigated options and was delighted to find the reasonably-priced Gravidyn system on Amazon. Coupled with the free shipping it was soon apparent that this was the best option: the standard for the international red cross had better be good enough for my family! When the item arrived at my workplace, I couldn't help but assemble it and test the unit, and not only did it pass my own taste tests, but those of some very demanding colleagues at my office. I anticipate years of service, and with the reputation and stability of katadyn, I expect that parts and replacement filters will be readily available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for emergency use - now using it every day, January 24, 2012
This review is from: Katadyn TRK Drip Gravidyn Water Filter (Sports)
Recently bought the Katadyn Gravidyn for my self-reliance/emergency kit, after we had a one-week "boil water advisory" following a hurricane. That experience just got me thinking that an extra layer of filtration would be a good idea, both for short-term and potential longer-term problems with the water supply.

I was on the fence between the Gravidyn and the Ceradyn. The Ceradyn uses ceramic-only filters, which as I understand it, are effective filtration against biological hazards (e.g. bacteria, water-borne diseases, etc.) but which do not filter out inorganic pollutants (e.g. pesticides). The Gravidyn filters contain ceramic elements as well, but they also contain charcoal, which filters (at least reduces, if not eliminates) pesticides etc. The "ceramic-only" Ceradyn filters last much longer (the charcoal in the Gravidyn filters is only good for 6 months, and the filter must be replaced after that) but in my case, I felt it was more important to get the maximum filtration possible, so I opted for the Gravidyn.

Good fact to know, however -- Katadyn confirmed to me that the Gravidyn filters are compatible with the Ceradyn base, and the Ceradyn filters are compatible with the Gravidyn base (I suspect the base unit is exactly the same, and the replaceable filter elements are the only thing that differs between the two models). So, if I ever decide that I want to go with the "ceramic-only" approach, I can simply purchase some Ceradyn filters and use those in my Gradidyn base (and, presumably, vice-versa). You'll find that the cost of the filter elements is the real expense for this product anyway.

As far as the Gravidyn unit itself goes, I am very happy with it so far (after a couple weeks of using it). When I first screwed the spout piece on, I had a slow, small drip-leak around the spout, where it connects to the base, so I unscrewed it, adjusted it slightly, and screwed it back on, a littler tighter than the first time. Since then, I haven't had any issues with any leaking or dripping.

The concept behind this filter is as simple as it gets -- pour water in the top part, and gravity will do the rest, as the water passes through the filer an into the lower part of the unit. A typical spout is the clean water outlet. I ran one 10-liter batch of water through the first time, and discarded that, per the instructions. After that, I have noticed that the filter started working a little quicker over time. It's pretty simple to keep this thing filled up, I have been filling it up (or half-filling it) at night before I go to bed, and by the morning we always have plenty of clean water to start the day.

We set ours up in the kitchen, and now use it for all of our drinking/cooking water. I'll probably always keep one extra set of filter elements on-hand (there are three).

I had been considering the Big Berkey filter system, and truth be told I do prefer the stainless-steel of the Berkey. However, I simply trust the Katadyn filters more, and since the plastic Katadyn unit is BPA-free, I'm not concerned about using plastic instead of stainless steel.

4.0 out of 5 stars definitely I wish there were better competition for this..., June 18, 2012
This review is from: Katadyn TRK Drip Gravidyn Water Filter (Sports)
I'll make this more complete, later, so this is terse, but informative...

Pros:
* affordable
* no pumping

Cons:
* bugs sneak in under the lid, turning your upper water into rotting-bugs water
* little flies sneak in between the top & bottom barrels, turning your "clean" water into rotting-little-flies-water
* pay for ceramic filters that last 50 000 litres, but for activated-carbon that'll last only a couple of 000 litres???

What I'd recommend to you:
1. get either this, or the
Katadyn TRK Drip Ceradyn Water Filter version ( without carbon ),
& get a Brita filter you like,
for the Ceradyn or for when the charcoal dies in this thing,
then you've got the charcoal-filtering you want for organic junk.

2. once cleaned & set-up,
MASKING-TAPE the 2 barrels together,
so little flies can't get into the clean barrel

3. maybe cut up an inner-tube, or foam, or something
( cloth? just a bit of saran-wrap? )
to make a sits-on-upper-barrel's-edge gasket
to keep the bugs out of the upper barrel?

What I'd recommend to Katadyn:

1. it looks like these barrels are made from poly-ethylene?
if so, please make 'em out of something that is food-cleaner,
like polypropylene
( "bike bottles" are low-density poly-ethylene, and they /stink/
the reason Gatorade & Powerade are bottled in PET "bike bottles"
is because their product couldn't survive the plastic diffusing into it,
and still be market-commanding.

PET & PP I consider food-safe,
PE may "technically" be food-safe, but it's disgusting.

These barrels aren't marked for what kind of plastic they are,
and there are many many kinds of plastics,
but I *know* PE's cheap & commonly used for such things,
and I want to be certain it isn't seeping into my water, thanks ),
OR if they already ARE made from something food-cleaner than PE,
*state so*, so we can know it, please!

2. having a 50 000 litre life-span for the ceramic,
and a 1 000 ( or whatever, similar ) litre life-span for the
inner charcoal pellets, is daft.

Make only the Ceradyn,
accept that Brita becomes part of your customer's plan,
for organics & metals filtering,
and lower the price of the Ceradyn,
and sell more of 'em,
and have more people having clean drinking-water throughout the world,
& enjoy the humanitarian good press!

3. definitely,
make the barrel-components fit together in some way that precludes bugs.

---

Bottom line, would I do without it?
not a chance.

Do I just trust it as it is?
not a chance.

Am I taping it from now on, to keep bugs out
( & keeping the spout wrapped, to keep bugs out of it, too )
absolutely.

When the charcoal dies, will I toss the filters & replace 'em because of that?
no, I'll just filter through a Brita, as well
( unless the used-up charcoal begins growing stuff, contaminating the "clean" water,
then I'll get a Ceradyn filters set, promptly )

Would I recommend it to others?
on condition they understand the faults in the current model,

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great as everyday filter as well as camping/emergency filter, February 12, 2013
This review is from: Katadyn TRK Drip Gravidyn Water Filter (Sports)
I bought one of these over the ceradyn or berkey because the ceradyn didn't fix taste or odors and the berkey doesn't seem to be passing the tests annually so it's hard to know what you're buying. The gravidyn is good for 6 months with basically unlimited capacity. My wife said it eliminated tap water smell/taste in NJ so she's happy with it. The tap is a little small for me, it takes too long to fill a water bottle for example, I'd prefer one with a higher flow rate. This is why 4 stars instead of 5.

I've only had it a couple of days and flow rate filter wise, it's ok so long as the top 'bucket' is full. With 10L in the top, I got about 5L in the bottom in like 3 hours. Once the top gets down to half full then the flow rate slows significantly but it's still trickling through.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. It'll stop us buying bottled water now and will help if we need to clean water if there is an emergency.

4.0 out of 5 stars Katadyn drip filter, April 11, 2011
This review is from: Katadyn TRK Drip Gravidyn Water Filter (Sports)
After rec'g my filter I found it was missing two rubber washers. Went to three large hardware stores, only to find they are not as soft as the two I did get and thus the tap leaks. I wrote the co. and they said I had to write the co. in Switzerland!!! (snail mail 'cause the e-mail doesn't work.)
Don't expect any help if your filter comes up missing parts. You are on your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for groups, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Katadyn TRK Drip Gravidyn Water Filter (Sports)
This is a very good filtration unit for group camping in the wilderness where the main source of water is a stream or river.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, once you get past the directions, October 8, 2012
This review is from: Katadyn TRK Drip Gravidyn Water Filter (Sports)
It is not difficult to put together, once you get past the lack of good directions. After assembling this product and pouring water inside the upper "bowl", it takes one hour to get one gallon of purified water. This is specifically designed for a base camp operation. You would not want to move this purifier with water in it. The price of this purifier versus others that can handle the same amount of gallons is relatively cheaper. I recommend this product for it's gallon consumption, purifying abilities and price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best all-purpose water filter for travel, November 25, 2013
This review is from: Katadyn TRK Drip Gravidyn Water Filter (Sports)
This is the best water filter! I take it with us to the cottage. I took one on a trip to a tropical island where the tap water was not drinkable. This filter cleans water in two ways: First, the ceramic cartridges filter out particles, bacteria, fungi and all living organisms except viruses. Secondly the carbon cores remove lead, VOCs, and a plethora of other contaminants including bad flavors. The resulting water is fantastic. This is a big filter and will produce lots of water every day --- certainly enough for 4 adults, including all the water necessary for cooking. The top inverts and fits into the base for transport, but this can put some drips of contaminated water in the clean water reservoir base, so be sure to clean it out before re-assembling. Since the filters will still contain some moisture for quite a while after the last use, storing it this way can result in a musty smell, so I am always careful to let it sit out to drain for a day or two when I get home. I did a lot of research before trusting this water filter --- This is the water filter used by many UN and Red Cross workers when they are stationed in third world locations that have contaminated drinking water. The ceramic cartridges last a really long time, but the carbon centers are only rated for six months of use, so you will have to spend approximately $150 to replace the three filtration cartridges every six months otherwise you lose the benefit of the carbon cores. I wish that they had designed the filter so that the carbon filters could be replaced when needed, leaving the ceramic to last at least 4 times as long. The ceramic filters can be cleaned with the included scrubbing pad. There is a tool to measure the diameter of the ceramic to ensure that it hasn't gotten too thin during cleaning --- but this is NEVER an issue for me because I replace them every six months because of the carbon cores. Some similar filters do not meet strict water quality standards or have been outlawed for sale in California and/or Europe because they have not tested the filters to ensure that they provide safe drinking water. This filter does meet the standards and has been tested. For this reason, I would NEVER buy a Big Berkey filter. This filter is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Katadyn TRK Drip Gravidyn Water Filter