5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent backpacking water purifier
Published on July 5, 2006 by Jim C.

1.0 out of 5 stars not built to withstand the environment
Published on November 14, 2008 by campcook063

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent backpacking water purifier, July 5, 2006
Jim C. (Littleton, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Microfilter (Sports)
Backpacking with the scout troop in the Colorado back country, we see a bunch of different water filters. This is one of the easiest and fastest to use. The inlet line can be easily placed in a small stream, and the float adjusted so it doesn't sit on the bottom. It isn't very sensitive to being fully submerged, unlike some other filters. Even the younger boys have no trouble operating this one. You can easily fill up a 1-quart water bottle in less than a minute. It comes with a reasonable carrying bag, although some care must be taken to keep the inlet & outlet lines separate. Parts (e.g., replacement filters) are readily available from a variety of sporting-goods & camping stores.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, November 6, 2006
R. York (Longview, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Microfilter (Sports)
Used this for the first time on a two day hike at Albert Pike in Western Arkansas. Worked like a charm with no problems at all. Make sure you flush out the charcoal at home before you use it for the first time, or you will have a mess in your water bottle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable, easy to use, a great product!, January 4, 2007
Dianna D (Washington DC and a new country every year for work) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Microfilter (Sports)
I purchased this product to filter my water on a daily basis (I live in the interior region of a developing country) and it's great! The pumping handle is strong and sturdy, and it takes a short amount of time to filter a 2 liter bottle of water (1-2 minutes on average). The input and output hoses are more than adequate (almost too long for everyday use!). Best of all, when I do travel it packs into a small carrying case that takes up minimal space in my bag, and is lighter than a pair of jeans. A great product, highly rated for both camping/hiking and everyday use.

5.0 out of 5 stars The PRO model is well worth it!, November 18, 2010
This review is from: Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Microfilter (Sports)
Like many in the market for a packable water filter, you might be wondering if the difference between Katadyn's Hiker and Hiker Pro are worth the price difference. Stop wondering and buy the PRO model--it's worth the relatively minor difference in price.

THE ADDED BENEFITS
------------------
First, you get a reusable sleeve filter that sits on the inside, and that helps reduce filter-related wear on the main filter cartridge. It effectively extends the life of your filter cartridge, especially if you'll be filtering water with lots of suspended sediment.

The second added benefit came as a real surprise to me--quick release connectors for the intake and output hoses. They are not installed by default out of the box, but a few moments with the instructions and my pocket knife had them in place quickly. They made packing and unpacking the filter much easier than on other models that require you to seat the hoses onto a nipple each time.

A COUPLE OF MINOR NEGATIVES
---------------------------
Once the quick-connect ends were installed, the one on the output hose is open and exposed to the fill line when packed in the bag. It would have been nice for Katadyn to have incldued a rubber cap or something similar to reduce the risk of any contamination of that output hose. The rest of the output hose gets stored in a zipper storage bag, but that's the next (and only other) negative I'll address.

The zipper storage bag for the output hose did not prove very durable at all. It broke at one of the seams on the third packing or so. Thankfully, I had some extra zipper bags with me (an old Scout always remembers that motto--"Be Prepared!"), so no harm was done. Had I not had them with me, I would have needed to find some other way of keeping the intake and output hoses apart--likely by placing the output hose in our food bag/barrel.

ONE TIP
-------
A very useful tip for any of these filters is this: carry along a few coffee filters and rubber bands (or o-rings). If you place one on the outside of the intake housing, with the rubber band holding it in place, you effectively create a pre-filter that helps keep some of the bigger particles from ever getting into the filter, thereby further extending the cartridge life. If the coffe-filter pre-filter ever gets too mucky, you just replace it with another (and pack out the old one).

OVERALL, you'll find owning a Katadyn Hiker PRO to be one of the best purchases you'll ever make if you like to spend any time in wilderness areas, or as a nice additiona to your family's emergency supply kit (in case of flood or other situation whereby the local water supply becomes contaminated).

5.0 out of 5 stars Virtually indestructable, August 3, 2007
This review is from: Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Microfilter (Sports)
I have the Hiker, purchased a few years ago. It's essentially the same filter, just previous model. I've hiked over 200 miles with this little bad-boy. It's a little slow to pump, but I think all hand-held, lightweight filters are that way. The think I like the most is the filter is almost indestructable. I've dropped a bunch of times, and it's been thrown into my bag with no worries. HIGHLY recommended.

Only note of caution is to be sure to follow Katadyn's suggestion method of cleaning after use (which requires flush with bleach or other). If you don't do this, you risk microbies growing... which happened to me once... bad diarreah, you don't want it! So be sure to clean out the "proper" way after use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best filter for the price, December 17, 2007
This review is from: Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Microfilter (Sports)
I'm a Boy Scout leader and spend a lot of time in the outdoors camping and backpacking. For the past 20 years, I've only used iodine tablets for water filtration primarily due to the fact that I couldn't justify the added weight of a water filter when the iodine works just fine. I think alot of this was due to the fact that I always camped where there was plenty of fresh water. Well, this past summer's drought in the South opened my eyes to the necessity of having a filter. When it comes to having to drink out of muddy puddles, then it's time for more than just tablets.

I had tried out an MSR filter that our Boy Scout troop owns and didn't like it because it was so slow to use. Then, I went backpacking with a friend of mine who had a Katadyn Hiker filter. I loved it! It was very light. The pump action was very comfortable and the flow was fast. I also love the way it just connects to a Nalgene bottle via the hose adapter.

So, I spent a long time shopping around before I finally decided to go with the Hiker Pro. It's basically the same as the Hiker except that it has an additional screen around the filter element that permits you to service it in the field and extend the life of the main filter. If you already have a Hiker model, you can just buy the screen and you'll have the same filter.

I couldn't be happier with this filter. It's a very simple, but effective design that I feel that I can trust for any length of trip. The water that comes out of it tastes great too. I recently went on a trip that required filtering from a black spring hole. The water filter with the Hiker Pro came out crystal clear and tasted great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Priliminary review - Katadyn Hiker PRO, March 27, 2009
This review is from: Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Microfilter (Sports)
I used this filter for the first time last week on a three day hike in the Great Smoky Moutains. I was filling 3-5 bottles at a time all weekend and this filter works extremely well. I had only one occasion when it became hard to pump on the upstroke, but just lightly knocking the strainer/weight at the end of the input line against a rock and rinsing in the creek cleared it.
I thought the rate at which it filled the bottles was pretty reasonable and the water quality was excellent. Now, I've heard complaints that it pumps slow but...anyone who complains that it takes more than a minute or so to fill a liter bottle, might want to consider a new hobby as they are missing the point of hiking/backpacking. Take it eeeeasy!
As far as weight is concerned, it's pretty light for the job it does. I don't know that it could be made much lighter without compromising durability. At any rate, I'm not an ultralighter,(my pack weighed 45+ lbs BEFORE we split the food for the hike this weekend), so I have no issue with the weight of the unit.
I am disappointed that Katadyn does not include the o-rings in the field maintenance kit provided with the unit? Particularly since they ARE in the field maintenance kit that they sell separately. One of these o-rings fails in the field and you are SOL. What could it cost? Ten cents? C'mon Katadyn, toss those in for the price!
The quick disconnects are a nice addition. I am concerned that, while there is a separate bag for the output hose to keep it from becoming contaminated while in the storage bag with the output hose and filter, the pig tail that you create for the output hose that has the quick disconnect on it is still attached to the filter and it IS exposed. Unless of course you remove it and bag it with the rest of the output hose, but then it kind of defeats the purpose of having the quick disconnect, yes?
All in all this is a great filter and I would highly recommend it based on my initial experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4-Star trying to be a 5, June 2, 2007
This review is from: Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Microfilter (Sports)
Katadyn has a history of making very good products. To say that this rises from hiker to hiker pro makes the buyer think they should spend the extra money and move up to the next level. That is not the case. The basic units are the same, you just get more junk with the pro. The extra screen on the pro is flimsy at best, removal is difficult, and I don,t expect it to last long. KISS, buy the hiker and avoid the junk. ;)

1.0 out of 5 stars not built to withstand the environment, November 14, 2008
campcook063 (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Microfilter (Sports)
i purchased this filter in the spring, and have been section hiking the AT and the connecticut Blue Trail system since, i always carried the filter even for a quick day hike and was glad to have it on several occasions. however after filtering about 30 gallons of water (accumulatively) it became very difficult to pump, so i replaced the cartidge and gave the entire unit a good cleaning the next time i used it was on a 4 day section of the AT and the handle broke off on the first pump after looking at it for a few minutes i was able to figure out that the handle had been breaking for quite some time and that was the reason the pumping got more difficult and the plastic continued to weaken until it finally broke. i contacted the company and found out that i could not replace the handle so i returned it to the store, and purchased a lever style filter that was completely rebuildable. this is a great filter and works well except it apparently only has a 1 year life span so if you would like to buy a new flter every year then this is the one for you! but if you want a filter that is desgined to last multiple lifetimes and be completely rebuildable then keep looking, dont even consider this filter, no stop, im serious i can see you, your thinking how bad can it be, but trust me its that bad!

4.0 out of 5 stars Katadyn Hiker Pro, May 18, 2007
Daniel Palmer "africadan" (North East, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Microfilter (Sports)
Flows nice. Fills a liter bottle in well under a minute with minimal effort. I pumped out of an active beaver pond and didn't get sick. In running water, a creek, the intake siphon isn't heavy enough to keep it in deeper water. The current keeps pushing it out to the edge. I might try a tent stake and a rubber band to keep it in the mid-water.

Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Microfilter