4.0 out of 5 stars Good bottle for international travel/camping.
Published on July 9, 2011 by Bubbagurl

1.0 out of 5 stars Microfilter vs Purifier
Published on September 6, 2010 by Jack

1.0 out of 5 stars Microfilter vs Purifier, September 6, 2010
Beware of the "Microfilter" vs "purifier" designation in the model name. This is a cost-reduced model that does not have the advanced filtering promoted on the Katadyn website. "Granular activated carbon" filtering "improves taste" rather than filter out harmful chemicals and bacteria. In fact, upon closer reading, this filter does exactly 2 things: Removes particles and dirt from water and make it taste "better". They throw in lingo like "microfilter", "03 micron", "pleated glass-fiber microfilter", "granular activated carbon" and "can be used as purifier (if you buy a premium filter core)" which can confuse first time buyers between 2 outwardly similar product lines.

It's like Brita (hypothetically) selling you a cartridge of 10% active contents and charging 90% the price, in hopes that the pitcher/bottle investment would prompt you to buy their premier filter cartridge. It's like HP (non-hypothetically) selling you a 3ml "starter" ink cartridge in hopes that you would buy a regular 15ml cartridge.

Given the low performance and 26 gallon capacity, costs can quickly add up. For long-term usage, the Lifesaver Bottle 4000 seems cheaper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bottle for international travel/camping., July 9, 2011
This filter bottle did the job for me as described. I never got sick from it even when taking water directly from creeks. The only faults I found with the bottle was that the tubing from the mouthpiece to the filter was very soft/flexible and would occasionally kink in a way that required some readjustments and fiddling to initiate proper flow. The only other thing I disliked is that the mouthpiece did not snap down firmly and lock, so it would occasionally be bumped and the mouthpiece would flip up and be contaminated or leak. The bottle itself did not leak as some reviews I read had suggested, and I did not find it difficult to squeeze and drink from the bottle. Maybe slightly more effort than you standard water bottle, but when you consider all the work its doing for you in a short amount of time, I think it is worth it. Most airport security checkpoints gave it the evil eye because it IS an unexpected filter contraption to find in a water bottle, but they never threatened to take it away from me (and I traveled through three foreign countries and 5 different airports in one trip with it).

1.0 out of 5 stars Advertised Incorrectly., January 17, 2011
I only got the actual microfilter that goes in the bottle and not the bottle itself. The description and photo shows MyBottle in White but yet to receive it. Now I have to waste time returning this item. Please don't order this if you are wanting the entire bottle and filter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, quick and really works, June 19, 2011
Just returned from using this on a trek in Papua, Indonesia. I used this in order to conserve our bottled and later our boiled water. In the middle of the night, just filled it from a stream to brush our teeth and have drinking water available without bothering the others. No problem with leaks, but did keep it mostly upright in the backpack, but it had plenty of time on it's side without having leaks. My only complaint is that it did need frequent refilling as the filter takes up a good bit of the available volume and once it's low it's harder to squeeze and you need to suck to get the remaining water out. But being able to use any water and not worry about Giardia and bacteria plus the fact that the water is instantly available, makes this wonderful for a trek. If you need a lot of water for a hydration pack or on your own or have the time and can be careful, then use a pump, but this was wonderfully convenient and fast; I'd buy another. I left one for our guide as he was delighted with it too.

2.0 out of 5 stars great idea, if only it was easier to use., October 3, 2010
DS (Dearborn, MI, US) - See all my reviews
I am traveling to India and Nepal and thought this would be a great
way to help reduce the use of plastic bottles.It was way to difficult, I could barely squeeze the water out of it to cleanse the filter. As I said, a great idea, just to difficult to use!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for Small Hands, August 25, 2011
This was my very first water filtration purchase and sorry to say - I am not impressed. Reading thru the initial set up and following the instructions for "priming" this item took well over an hour. After many tries the first night at home, I still could not easily suck water thru it, even while squeezing as hard as I could. Sorry to say - I am not happy with this bottle and it's function. I got it this summer and tried to use it in Yosemite. First difficulty was to flush the filter, by squeezing the bottle. I could barely squeeze it, much less push the water out (70-100%). As a petite female I was bale to squeeze maybe half the water out. Had a male friend do the second flush and he said it was also very difficult to squeeze too. Sipping while squeezing to drink was even more of a challenge trail side. I am not a backpacker, but I do a fair amount of long day hikes into the high country. Had my boyfriend try it, re-read the instructions with me and we both decided it must be defective, or just poorly designed.

1.0 out of 5 stars It leaks!!!, August 9, 2010
Hobo Traveller (Long Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The idea of just refilling your water bottle as needed is great, but unfortunately this product is not.
It leaks as soon as it is not in an upright position. It leaks if you squeeze it..... it leaks unless it is sitting upright on a level surface. And when does that happen while hiking? I ended up carrying it dangling from my belt and only filling it 3/4 full after getting by pack wet.
Considering that for $20 more you can get a purification pump, this is a waste of money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked Great for Vietnam Trip, March 14, 2013
We just returned from 2 weeks in Vietnam, including camping at a couple of national parks there. We used our Katadyn MyBottle to make clean water to brush our teeth with at all the hotels and extensively for drinking while camping. We had no gastronomical distress, unlike quite a few of our other friends there. The water tasted good straight out of the bottle, but note that the flow rate tend to be delayed or a bit slower than normal. So we actually would make several bottles of water and keep it in a normal water bottle for use to brush our teeth etc. When the filter gets dirty (which this did towards the end of the trip), you have to squeeze much harder on the bottle to get the water out, this is how you'll know that you need to replace the filter. I estimate that we probably used this four about 10-15 gallons of water (much less than the 26 gallon advertised), but usage is actually based on how dirty the water is. We threw the filter away at the end of the trip, the entire filter surface was a muddy brown, so we're glad we had this with us. For <$40, worth the investment and will definitely bring this on my next trip. The bottle is also relatively light, so it's easy to carry around (especially with the filter cartridge out). It comes with a normal internal straw, so once you made the clean water, you can put the clean water in the bottle, take the filter purifier out and just use it like a normal water bottle with the straw. Would recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for traveling, September 20, 2010
C. Cohen (Orange County, CA USA) - See all my reviews
We just returned from a week in Morocco and found the bottle to be wonderful. I can see where it could be a problem for outdoor enthusiasts, but for the traveler, it is great. While others on our trip were constantly searching out bottled water, we could make our own at any time. No waking up in the morning realizing that you didn't have water to brush your teeth and paying hotel prices for bottled water since there wasn't a store nearby. I think the bottle probably paid for itself on this one trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to buy water when you travel, September 11, 2011
I used this in the Galapagos Islands for a week and loved not having to buy water. The real test was when I used it while travelling in India for a week and it also worked. I didn't get sick. I just re-filled it with tap water and didn't have to buy water. Most importantly I didn't get Delhi Belly.

Katadyn MyBottle Purifier, Blue Splash