Questions & Answers
Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter
by Katadyn
4.7 out of 5 stars (283)
$308.38
Add to cart
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 questions
votes
The Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter does not filter out viruses; they must be killed via boiling, adding chemicals like chlorine, or by using UV light from a device such as the Steripen. Viruses in the water can make you very ill, although many say they are not much of a problem in American and Canadian wilderness area; but I would advise you to be on the save side. FILTERS like this only remove the bacteria and protozoa; PURIFIERS either physically remove or deactivate the viruses also.
Jan 28, 2013 by El Nath
votes
Yes it does. Great filter, but if you leave water in there, it will freeze and ruin the fitter. it can perform in winter weather i.e. cold water, but you'll have to protect it from freezing.
Dec 24, 2012 by Dr. Joseph Bianco
votes
The ceramic filter is rated to last 13,000 gallons. Figure in the cost of filter replacements to get 13,000 gallons out of a different system, and it might not look so affordable. This is also a well designed, maintainable unit made from quality materials, so if cared for properly I expect it could actually deliver 13,000 gallons. And its small enough to fit in my glovebox just in case doomsday comes.
Oct 2, 2014 by vtwakeboarder
vote
The measuring gauge measures the ceramic filter element lifespan. The ceramic filter element remains viable as long as it's WIDTH is greater than the span of the measuring gauge. Should the element be thinner, or the measuring gauge actually fit around the filter element, it is time to replace the filter element. From product documentation accompanying product: "CERAMIC CAPACITY Ceramic capacity depends on water quality. The dirtier the water the more often you will ahve to clean the element. This reduces the capacity of approx. 13'000 gallons (50'000 liters). If the gap of the measuring gauge fits over the ceramic it is time to replace the filterelement. (Figure 2-2) Inspect the ceramic for cracks after cleaning, if you dropped the filter of if you had freezing temperatures. If the filterelement shows cracks it will no longer protect you from microorganisms and must be replaced."
Apr 1, 2014 by Alexander R Osborn
votes
I haven't used it enough to replace it. I've taken it on a couple hikes and pulled water from streams...but not enough to have it replaced. I keep it mostly for emergency purposes.
Oct 26, 2014 by Mike
votes
Made in? Dec 23, 2014
Switzerland
Dec 23, 2014 by Eric A. Leavitt
votes
Why not just use LifeStraw? Well, I guess if you're not going to need water for cooking or cleaning, or if your backpacking route has you ALWAYS near water that you can reach with the LifeStraw, then go for it. LifeStraw isn't even an option in my mind other than an emergency backup that would at least give me some way to get a drink if my pump water filter wasn't available for some reason. A pump filter such as the Katadyn Pocket will pump water into your Camelbak or other water bottles for the day's hike away from any water supply. Ask yourself: How will you fill water bottles with the LifeStraw? How will you wash yourself or your dishes or gather enough filtered water for cooking with the LifeStraw? LifeStraw definitely does have a place; it's not junk. But that place is for sipping water through a straw-like filter and not for the other water needs one has when out in the field. Hope this helps.
Nov 9, 2014 by Jack
votes
The warranty is through the manufacture, dose not matter who you buy it from.
2 days ago by Online S.
votes
The filter doesn't get rid of all the chemicals. Sun tan oils can contain some products you do not want to ingest. The pocket filter has a floater. Sun tan oils will float on top typically, so you can easily avoid the oils.
Jan 31, 2014 by Q
votes
No it is not used for salt water. I'm not sure the chemistry or anything.
Oct 29, 2012 by John Trulli
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers