Save Big On Open-Box & Preowned: Buy "Katadyn Vario Multi Flow Water Microfilter” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 27% off the $89.95 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Preowned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Katadyn Vario Water Filter
|Price:||$79.95 & FREE Shipping. Details|
|You Save:||$10.00 (11%)|
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- A simple turn engages a ceramic pre-filter for long life in dirty water or a pleated glass fiber filter in normal conditions
- Produces up to two quarts per minute in the faster flow mode and one quart per minute in longer life mode
- Replaceable carbon core keeps water tasting fresh; reduces chemicals, odors, and toxins throughout the life of the cartridge
- Dual piston technology provides maximum output with minimum effort
- Adapter base attaches directly to water bottles or an output hose can be used to fill hydration systems or larger containers
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
|Item Dimensions||9.13 x 3.33 x 8.63 inches|
|Shipping Weight||1.45 pounds|
From the Manufacturer
About Katadyn Products
Katadyn’s unique products provide safety and convenience for many user groups including militaries, health organizations, and outdoor adventurers worldwide. No other water system provides higher quality or longer lasting performance.
Katadyn provides you with a water system for every need – including traveling, camping, backpacking, sailing, paddling, fishing, and biking.
Katadyn Vario Multi Flow Water Microfilter
Dual-piston technology provides maximum output with minimum effort
The Vario Dual Technology Filter combines individual efficiency with the simplest possible handling. The technology consists of three filter levels: a high-performance glass fiber filter, a ceramic pre-filter that can be adjusted individually according to the cloudiness of the water, and active charcoal for eliminating odors. Cleanable ceramic disc lengthens life of primary microfilter, 0.2 Micron high surface area pleated glass-fiber microfilter removes waterborne bacteria. Replaceable carbon core reduces chemicals, pesticides and bad taste in water.
- Includes: Prefilter, Deluxe Carry Bag and Cleaning Pad
- Produces up to two quarts per minute in the faster flow mode and one quart per minute in longer life mode
- Weight: 15 oz, Height: 6.5”
- Uses a replaceable Katadyn carbon core and cleanable ceramic disc (included)
- 1 Year Warranty
Vario Dual Technology consists of a high-performance glass fiber filter, and a ceramic pre-filter th
A simple turn engages a ceramic pre-filter for long life in dirty water or a pleated glass fiber filter in normal conditions.
Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Microfilter
Carrying gallons of water isn’t necessary when you have reliable water sources and are carrying this durable 11-ounce water microfilter in your backpack. This field-cleanable Filter Protector Screen extends the life of the cartridge in challenging conditions The 0.2 Micron glass-fiber filter media is designed for high output with little effort. It connects directly to your hydration pack with 1/4” drink tubes and water bottles.
Katadyn Hiker PRO Replacement Cartridge
This replacement filter provides up to 300 gallons of clean drinking water before it needs replacing. Compatible with the Katadyn Hiker, Hiker Pro, and Base Camp microfilter systems. A removable filter protector helps extend cartridge life in extreme conditions, and a glass-fiber element boasts an innovative pleated design, increasing surface area for improved filtration of silty or muddy water.
Katadyn Pocket Water Filter
Made of the highest quality construction, this robust water filter is ideal for long lasting continuous use. The filter’s silver impregnated ceramic element is effective against bacteria and protozoa, using a Micro Filtration method. Up to 1 quart (1 liter)/minute Cartridge capacity, up to 13,000 gallons (50,000 liters), depending on water quality. This pocket water filter is a favorite of outdoor enthusiasts and international travelers, and the U.S. Military. 20 Year Warranty.
Optimus Crux Lite Stove with Terra Cook Set
The smallest, most ultra light 3-piece Cook System combines the Crux Lite stove and Solo Cook Set. Set includes: Crux Lite stove (72 g/2.5 oz), 0.6 Liter hard anodized aluminum saucepan with pouring lip and measuring marks, fry pan that doubles as a lid, mesh storage bag and nylon storage bag to store Crux Lite stove. Average boil time is 3 minutes for 1 quart (1 liter) water, depending on climate and/or altitude. The perfect cook system when ultralight and small size are critical.
Top Customer Reviews
It was easy to hook up directly to my CamelBak, so there was no chance of contamination. Whenever I used it, I had it in the "longer life" setting where you pump a little less water per minute, but it passes through both filters inside. I've used several other filters and the speed and ease which I was able to fill up my 100oz Camelbak is far superior to any of them. The pumping motion is easy to use and it pumps a lot more water even on the "Longer life" (slow) setting than other filters.
Overall I think it is a fantastic product that I would recommend to anyone traveling to locations where you don't know if you can trust the water.
First the pros and cons;
1. It can pump fast and with only mild effort. The bidirectional pump action can really move the water, especially if you have it setup to bypass the ceramic disk.
2. I love the threaded bottle adapter built in to the base. Very nice if you're used to trying to balance everything on rocks!
3. The charcoal bit removes most unpleasant flavors. Mind you, if the water really smells horrible to start with, you're limited with what the charcoal can do.
4. Good instructions, packaging, decent carry bag, little tube of silicon lubricant is a nice touch from a reputable company.
1. It can refuse to start pumping. The wonderful piston/valve assemblies that move so much water can 'air-lock' and stop pumping. And it can take quite a bit of voodoo/fiddling to get it pumping again.
2. Any filter with a ceramic portion needs a silt pre-filter to prevent clogging. This one is no exception. (A silt pre-filter will also greatly extend the life of the pleated paper filter cartridge.)
3. The fragile plastic inlet barb sticks out awkwardly toward the back and is very unprotected. I suspect it's no accident that the inlet barb is always positioned where it can't be seen in the product photos and videos.
4. In my experienced opinion, I believe there is a design flaw in the flow path. On the bottom of the paper filter there is an o-ring that separates the contaminated water from the filtered water output.Read more ›
I bought this instead of Katadyn's Pocket Microfilter (found for $179 on some sites at the time) for 4 main reasons:
1) ability to attach directly to Nalgene bottle. I'll be using this primarily while living overseas in areas w/questionable tap water, so this is a nice convenience. Don't think the Pocket filter allows this.
2)2-stage filter w/activated charcoal to remove chemicals, pesticides & bad taste. This option isn't available w/the ceramic-only Pocket Microfilter, and again was something I want specifically due to where I'm going. If chemicals aren't an issue where you'll be, this aspect might not matter to you.
3) Double-piston design for faster output & ease of use compared to the Pocket Microfilter. Pumping action was simple & ergonomic.
4) Cost. $80 is great compared to $180+. I may regret that mentality if/when this breaks, but for now it's a good deal.
Three things so far that I'm not excited about:
1) Although they state that the paper carbon "cartridge" is good for 500 gallons, the instructions say that the activated charcoal INSIDE the cartridge should be replaced about every 50 gallons or every 6 months, depending on chemical content/taste of the water. I felt deceived after discovering this omission from the reviews I read. Not printed anywhere in their online documentation, but REI does mention it.Read more ›
As others have said, this thing filters water extremely fast. I've not had to use it in situations where the water has been highly contaminated or loaded with sediment so I can't say whether it has issues in those situations. The bottom is sized to screw right onto many water bottles and hydration bladders which saves having to use the outlet tube (included). Since I don't camp every week, I follow the long-term storage instructions on the unit before packing it away. This involves running 1L of water with either Katadyn's water purifier tablets or a small amount of bleach through the unit. Next comes removal of the ceramic disc filter to be scrubbed off, and finally removal of the paper/carbon filter to allow it to air dry. After about 24 hours I put some included silicone lubricant on the O-rings and put it back together. I haven't replaced the activated charcoal yet but it's not difficult to find and not overly expensive. If the unit is dried properly the charcoal should last quite a while.
The filter parts have tabs which are designed to make certain the unit goes back together properly, but I have to wonder if some of the problems reported are the result of improper re-assembly after cleaning.
I will agree with others that it is a bit bulky (it doesn't present any problems for my pack) but it's also pretty light, and compared to some of the more compact units, this one produces a lot more filtered water a lot faster. As with most camping products, the buyer should consider the tradeoffs of ultra-small and lightweight vs. lower expense and more usability.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
good product. I havnt used this product a lot but when I have it worked great and I like the fact that I can select if the water is dirty or clean so It can skip the top filter. Read morePublished 19 hours ago by cory
Very fast pump with high quality filtration. Water tastes great with the included charcoal filter.Published 17 days ago by Benjamin Schoenecker
This is a great water filter. This is the second one we've purchased. We still have the first one we bought years ago and it still works perfectly. Read morePublished 19 days ago by Elle
Haven't used it yet but according to the reviews, for the money, you can't beat the reputation of the brand... The only problem I saw is where the intake is connected. Read morePublished 21 days ago by Quinn B.
What can you say about the Gold Standard of portable water purifiers? Still made in Switz. the product arrives with comprehensive instructions and a well provisioned kit of spare... Read morePublished 26 days ago by Mogwan
First...I'm deducting one star for the cost of replacement filters and carbon when the need arises. As for performance, I pumped 2 1/2 gallons of rain water from a bucket that had... Read morePublished 1 month ago by ExHelot