5.0 out of 5 stars There's a New Heroine in Town...
Published on December 4, 2000 by Carole Burrage

3.0 out of 5 stars Same premis as Jack but with a twist at the end.
Published on October 9, 2006 by Cady Hayden

5.0 out of 5 stars There's a New Heroine in Town..., December 4, 2000
This review is from: Kate and the Beanstalk (Hardcover)
... and her name is Kate. This terrific new spin on the old "Jack and the Beanstalk" story is fresh and exciting. While the old version was fun, I always felt a little uncomfortable rooting for a protagonist who was a sneaky, shiftless thief. "Kate" retains the adventure of the old story with a twist -- instead of committing larceny, our heroine is retrieving stolen property from the giant who swiped them from a poor, starving widow. Best of all, the illustrations are gorgeous, and evocative of the best folk art. Boys and girls alike will welcome the spunky Kate into their pantheon of fairy tale favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate and the Beanstalk, September 11, 2000
This review is from: Kate and the Beanstalk (Hardcover)
It's not quite the same old Jack and the Beanstalk". Oh the basic story is still the same, but instead of lazy "Jack", our heroine is smart, resourceful Kate.
I did like Mary Pope Osborne's retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk, but it's Giselle Potter's vibrant illustrations that really make my beans grow. And it is nice to see a smart girl be the "hero" for a change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic retelling of old story--gorgeously illustrated, May 8, 2002
This review is from: Kate and the Beanstalk (Hardcover)
This book is a favorite in our household and both my daughter and my son love it. The story is retold in such a way that it actually "makes sense." It is exciting--but never overly scary. The illustrations are absolutely stunning. They remind me of Modigliani in their simplicity and grace. If you think all children's books should be illustrated in the "Disney-style" then you may not like this one, but I found the style both unusual and lovely. I would highly recommend this book to anyone with children aged 4-10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate and the Beanstalk, September 28, 2001
ROBIN BARNA (Sparta, New Jersey USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kate and the Beanstalk (Hardcover)
What a GREAT story for a girl! Kate, unlike Jack, is a brave girl out to right the wrong done by the giant. Unlike the original version, Kate is taking back what the giant stole and returning it to its rightful owner. A great role model and a positive message that girls can be brave and fabulous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, May 27, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Kate and the Beanstalk (Hardcover)
I am writing mainly to disagree with the reviewer who thought that the "resourceful girl" aspect of the story is a bit forced. I disagree totally! This is a very graceful adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk, and the ending is much more satisfying to me than the ending of the traditional story. It does not read like a feminist diatribe but like a delightful fairy-tale.
I agree that "fee-fi-fo-fum'un" is a stretch, but I see this as funny rather than forced. So does my daughter. Moreover, I expect that the author intended it to be funny.
My daughter loves the Steven Kellogg version of Jack & the Beanstalk, and I agree with her. It is one of our most-often-read titles. But after reading Kate and the Beanstalk, she says she likes it better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Same premis as Jack but with a twist at the end., October 9, 2006
This review is from: Kate and the Beanstalk (Hardcover)
Mom gives her daughter, Kate, their only cow to sell at market for food before they starve. Daughter exchanges cow for magic beans and the mother is furious. She throws them out the window and that night a huge beanstalk has grown up to the clouds. Kate climbs up stalk, takes on an adventure, disguises herself to complete her mission successfully and winds up avenging her fathers death. Heroine story good for young girls. Illustrations are decent but all characters have the same face. I liked the idea of the book and love the front cover but the book left me wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a great book!!!!, January 26, 2004
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Kate and the Beanstalk (Hardcover)
Would you ever want to climb a beanstalk? That is what happens in Kate And Beanstalk by Mary Pope Osborn. Kate is a little girl who lives with her mother and is very poor. Her mother said to take the cow to the town and sell it for some money. But Kate disobeys her mother and trades it for some beans from a beggar. Her mother gets mad and throws the beans out the window. Does she ever see the beans again or does her mother get madder!! Read more to find out!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Old Fairy Tale with a New Twist, February 25, 2001
This review is from: Kate and the Beanstalk (Hardcover)
Mary Pope Osborne has taken the old Jack and the Beanstalk fairy tale and given it a nice new twist. The basic story is still in place. But, instead of lazy Jack, trading his cow for magic beans and then stealing riches from the giant, Ms Osborne gives us Kate, a resourceful, kind and determined young lady who outsmarts that horrible, cruel giant so that she can return his riches to their rightful owner. This wonderful text is complimented by award winning illustrator, Giselle Potter's expressive and creative artwork and youngsters will be entranced as they hear this old familiar story told with a new heroine and surprise, happy-ever-after ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate and the Beanstalk rating, May 26, 2013
This review is from: Kate and the Beanstalk (Anne Schwartz Books) (Paperback)
I read the original version Jack and the Beanstalk and then I read Kate and the Beanstalk to a group of kindergarten students. We talked about similarities and differences in both books. The kids really enjoyed this version. I also loved reading a new version of an old familiar favorite that I grew up on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable book!, July 3, 2010
I bought this book for my daughter's 4th birthday. Her name is Kate so it was a must! She loves the story... it is very clever and a nice spin on the old classic. We will enjoy this book for many years!

Kate and the Beanstalk (Anne Schwartz Books)
Kate and the Beanstalk (Anne Schwartz Books) by Mary Pope Osborne (Paperback - October 1, 2005)
$7.99 $7.19