Customer Discussions > Gunmetal Magic forum

Kate/Curran vs Andrea Raphael

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2012 1:03:32 PM PDT
PixiBell says:
From previous discussion.....

I think he is prepare to set aside his own needs but I don't think he should at this point with Andrea because if he doesn't push her out of her comfort zone I don't think there relationship will grow. I've kinda noticed that with Andrea & Raphael when he become the big bad Alpha she responds better to him almost on equal footing but when he chased after her she kept dismissing or brushing him off.

I think having them work together [again] and having to confront each other madly, angrily, violently will cut through the second-guessing, doubts and give us unvarnished and completely honest truths about how they really feel & think about each other.

I also think Kate & Curran's getting together was simple because kate's alot braver about facing things then Andrea is. Kate's a fine let's get this over with and see where it goes kinda person. Andrea seems to be more of a "we tried, it fell apart, let's move on no point looking back & why should I" kinda person. I think those issues she's had from childhood play a part in that attitude which is why she gave up on Raphael so easily and fought for a organization that didn't appreciate her.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 1:29:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 1:31:08 PM PDT
Tammi says:
The violence encasing Kate and Curran's relationship was/is more flirtation and courtship. They both get off on violence. I think Kate stepped up when Curran drew the line in the sand and asked her to let him into her heart, because her childhood did not discourage intimacy--but rather risk of exposure. Once she released some of her fear of exposure, Kate just had to accept the high stakes Curran was gambling by getting involved with her. Theirs was a cake-walk, comparatively speaking.

I totally believe that Raphael has thrown down the gauntlet at this stage in the books. The fact that he killed Tara for taking liberties with his body says that he doesn't plan to walk the party line. Andrea is going to have to rethink how she deals with him. He's been doing it her way up to her decision to stay with the Order. I'm sure he's going to demand she elevate her game to his rules.

I really don't think violence is going to get either what she/he wants. Violence isn't a release for them, nor is it an aphrodisiac. I believe things will have to work to such a tense point that Andrea will be forced to make a decision, take a leap of faith--make a sacrifice for heart over independence. When all is said and done, isn't the next step in their relationship really up to Andrea? Hasn't it always rested with her? What else is Raphael expected to do? What has Andrea done to advance this relationship?

I believe Raphael has simply decided to leave it in her hands. His mind is made up as to his course of action. Now she has to be a big girl and do the grown-up thing to make this work.

Posted on May 23, 2012 9:43:51 PM PDT
PixiBell says:
Very true about Andrea needing to step up and Raphael has been content up til now in doing things her way. I could tell that Andrea cares for Raphael but sometimes in reading the books it felt like she didn't care enough or as much as him. I think they just need to find the right balance so they can be happy but not stale. But I didn't mean violently as a turn on for them I meant violently as in all the layers ripped away to leave them both raw, bleeding (metaphorically speaking), and bare to each other. I mean by the end of Magic Bleeds that's pretty much what happened to Kate & Curran all their layers were ripped away and they had no choice but to bleeding and bare to each other. For them fighting and arguing was their conduit. For Andrea and Raphael I think it's going to be the same only with words or maybe Andrea & Raphael will break down in front of each other. The possibilities are endless & unpredictable for this couple. I think the easiest pairing we've seen so far though is Jim & Dali in Magic Dreams

Posted on May 25, 2012 10:08:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 10:11:28 AM PDT
Tammi says:
I agree that Jim and Dali had it easiest (I'll give a "squee"-out that not every relationship requires pushing boulders up mountains).

Thanks for clearing up the violence thing, PixiBell. I was way off track.

Andrea's a hard nut to crack. I can't say that she intentionally pushed Raphael away with her decision to stay with the order, so his walking away initially is all on him. Still, I CAN say that Andrea complicated things by leaving without trying to heal the breach--or keep the lines of communication open. She strikes me as the bank vault type. When you're in--your in; but when you're out--you're out. It's like she needs to punish herself for having dared love in the first place.

It's interesting how she chose to work in a high-risk career, but subscribes in practice to no-risk relationships. She chose Kate as her friend (Kate had little choice in the matter). I wonder now if Andrea saw Kate's desire to distance herself from relationships as being akin to Andrea's own arms-length philosophy. Neither was in a relationship of any type at the time their friendship began. Both worked like they had a death wish--all or nothing. Kate made no demands of Andrea, mostly out of Kate's desire to protect her own skeletons. Like Kate used to be, Andrea pretty much has no one--outside of Kate and perhaps Grendel (I think Kate will always be Grendel's first and only true love).

I really hope Andrea quickly finds the strength to accept love. Otherwise, I can see her easily starting to work my last nerve. Nothing worse to me than indecisive people. I need to see progress. I can't sit around waiting book in and book out for her to make up her mind. I'd probably stay single if I were a guy. I don't have the patience to get or keep a woman.

Posted on May 29, 2012 3:17:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2012 6:10:27 AM PDT
PixiBell says:
I'm right there with you. I hope Andrea will learn to truly accept Raphael because I think he accepts her even if he doesn't agree or understand all her decisions. I mean he'll get angry and need space but when push comes to shove I think it will always be her. Hopefully we'll see progress and Andrea make a final decision. Honestly though maybe Andrea needs to make a move on Raphael like he did with her during the Midnight Games.

Maybe for once she should ask Kate for relationship advice. And can you see Raphael going to Curran asking for advice about difficult women. Better Curran, Jim, Derek, and Raphael sitting around have a man talk about difficult women.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gunmetal Magic forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  May 23, 2012
Latest post:  May 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Gunmetal Magic
Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews (Mass Market Paperback - July 31, 2012)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (301)