Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

VINE VOICEon October 21, 2013
After previewing this in a local bookstore, my impression is this "cookbook" was nothing more than a money-making vehicle for Ms Gosselin that was hastily churned out, as there are several sloppy editing errors, along with mismatched photos. The premise for a Kate Gosselin "cookbook" lacks credibility--I've read articles where she has been quoted as saying she feeds only organic foods to her kids, so for me to believe her kids have eaten these recipes filled with non-organic, high-sodium, MSG-laced ingredients is difficult to swallow. No pun intended...

Many of the recipes require high-sodium ingredients such as canned soup or shoyu, which I would NOT want to feed to my son. Cooking from cans is not my idea of a cookbook, and if I wanted to cook that way, I can order one of Campbell's cookbooks here on Amazon. At least their cookbooks are proofread, the recipes tested, and attractively and professionally presented. If Kate has to rely on high-sodium, MSG-laced ingredients in her recipes for flavoring, I have to question her qualifications to author a cookbook in the first place.

There wasn't anything new, creative or imaginative in this "cookbook", just very basic recipes that you can easily find on the internet; her recipes appear to be copied verbatim from recipe-sharing websites. Some of her recipes were vague on the quantity of ingredients, which indicates how amateurish this publishing endeavor was. I have yet to see a GOOD cookbook where several recipes do not list the exact amount for ingredients, so it appears there was no "testing" of these recipes.

This "cookbook" seems to be rehashed internet recipes along with rehashed old photos of her kids. It is a sordid attempt to stay relevant in the public eye and clearly a last-gasp attempt to cash in on the Gosselin name.
77 comments137 of 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2013
Did Kate get these recipes off soup cans? Save your money and don't bother buying this so called recipe book.
0Comment39 of 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2013
Honestly I believe that anyone who writes a cookbook should have honest skills and training. This is a celebrity vanity book that happens to have a few non-original recipes. I cooked like this when I was 12 for my large family (under adult supervision).
0Comment127 of 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2013
The book uses a lot of prepared ingredients with a twist or two that all of us have done before. I wouldn't call it healthy at all. I am not sure why Kate Gosselin feels qualified to write a cookbook..... you will find better recipes from ones that churches or school groups put together as fundraisers.
11 comment98 of 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2013
A pitiful and pathetic excuse for a "cookbook". Very simple, these types of recipes are free online, save your money.
11 comment67 of 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2013
Waste of money and my time. Can find these recipes anywhere - nothing special and what happened
to her organic lifestyle. Definitely not part of his book. Do not waste your time
11 comment30 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2013
This "cook book" is a total waste of time and money. The recipes are not healthy (lots of sodium) and most look like they came off the back of a soup can. Don't waste your money.
11 comment26 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2013
What a terrible waste of time and money. Recipes seem to be recycled from the back of soup cans and internet recipe sites. You can do much,much better searching the Food Network or Allrecipes.com for free. Just My Opinion
0Comment113 of 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2014
I bought this book to add to my collection for the heck of it. Like many other reviewers have stated, it's mostly pictures of her and her kids and a bunch of very basic recipes (with high salt content!) that you can find almost anywhere. I tried the sloppy joe recipe, followed it exactly, and it was inedible due to the amount of salt and vinegar in the recipe. Did anyone bother to test these recipes before publishing the book?
0Comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2013
I WANTED to like it, I really did! I used to watch Jon & Kate Plus Eight and thought the show was really cute. So, while browsing the cookbooks in my B&N yesterday, I stumbled across this one and was so surprised to see it. I decided to look through it because it must have some great family dinner recipes. Well, not really. There aren't any new, creative, or unique recipes in this book. It's all stuff we've all seen a million times, like chili, casseroles, pork chops, meatballs, spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, etc. Yawn. All the same recipes that have been in cookbooks for decades and are online by the millions.

So, still looking for something useful, I read through some of Kate's tips. Sadly, nothing new there. I doubt anyone needs advice like clean off splatters from the cabinets as you're cooking rather than letting the grime build up. Or use coupons, but only for products you would normally buy anyway. Cook extra so you can have a leftovers night. Make sure you actually use or cook all the food you buy so you don't waste it. Seriously, this is the level of her "tips". Oh well, I decided not to waste my money on this book. It's not a cookbook at all. Rather, it's a thinly veiled effort to sell another book of her children's photos, mostly old photos, and some new ones. Very strange, if you ask me. I'm quite surprised anyone even published this book. Someone's going to lose a lot of money on this one.
0Comment116 of 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse