4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but nothing new
Published 15 months ago by T. & M. Long

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 15 months ago by MushroomStew

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 30, 2013
This review is from: Kate's Style: Smart, Chic Fashion from a Royal Role Model (Paperback)
As an avid follower of Kate's style and influence, I really was excited when I saw this book about to be released on Amazon so I preordered it. It came today and I regret that it is near worthless unless you are an absolute beginner when it comes to Kate Middleton's style. If you read What Kate Wore or if you have even a moderate amount of knowledge on her wardrobe then this book has little to offer. Many of the photos are horrible in quality - several look as though they were taken in a circus mirror - blurry and distorted in order to be stretched to fit the space on the page. This is a poorly constructed book containing only superficial information that can easily be found online for free - I had to laugh when I saw the guide to Kate's favorite designers in the back since many bloggers with more eloquent writing styles have already compiled this online for their readers for free and with clickable links. This book appears to merely be riding the "Kate Effect", rehashing basic facts and not adding anything new to the "Kate's Style" dialogue. Very disappointed...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but nothing new, May 31, 2013
Compared to other "Kate Fashion" books this, in my opinion, is better. However, that being said, the author gets some things wrong. Like calling Kate's Tiffany & Co. diamonds by the yard bracelet a Links of London bracelet (page 40) and calling Kate's black Imperia Pied a Terre wedges the L.K. Bennett "Maddox" shoes (page 48). I'm sure there are other mistakes as well, but those two really stood out to me. For me, there was no new information in this book. If you follow Kate blogs and know a fair to a good amount of information then there will be nothing new for you here. If you are just diving into the world of the Duchess of Cambridge you'll really get a lot out of this book.

My main reason for purchasing this book was for the updated pictures. Most of the pictures are from just pre-engagement right up to Kate's appearance at the National Portrait Gallery on January 12, 2013 for the unveiling of her portrait. That being said there are a couple of older pictures of Kate and Kate with Pippa as well. I found most of the pictures to be of good quality, there are a couple that are weird looking, probably taken by a camera phone (like Kate's attendance at the 2012 London Olympic Games Closing Ceremony). And just as an FYI there are no engagement photos in this book, either from the announcement or when Will & Kate had their picture taken by Mario Testino, however, they are in many of the other Kate fashion books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, August 4, 2013
I was very excited to read this book when it first came out. However, it is quite a disappointment. The selected photos are not very good, and there is a glaring error that made me question the author's research, even interest in the book's subject matter. When describing the red Catherine Walker coat dress worn during the first North America tour in 2011, the author states it was worn going to "chilly Canada". This is beyond wrong. Firstly, the dress was worn in July, in the height of a heat wave. Secondly, Kate wore the dress leaving Canada - NOT entering it. It was her departure outfit and she changed into a light blue dress before emerging from the plane in California. This is pretty basic for anyone observing Kate's fashion choices, and for the author to get it wrong, and then make up an erroneous justification from Kate's perspective is frankly insulting. How did the author not factcheck this? How did the editors miss it? The Canada tour was huge for the newlywed and you don't have to be a Kate fanatic to recognize the mistake.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fan of Kate's Fashion (plus size Kate style tips)- A must have!, May 31, 2013
I just got the book & skimed through it. It one of the best books on Kate's fashion, make up, hair, etc. out there. It doesn't get into the detail of Kate's journey to become Will's wife like Kate Style by Orme does. It just focuses on the fashion mostly after the engagement & wedding. They just touch on the engagement & wedding a little. Even talk about some of her early pregnancy choices and a nod to Pippa too. This is the most update book focusing on her fashion choices only-outside of a few magazines like People-I have seen so far. If your a Kate chaser like me, you already have Kate Style by Orme & Kate Style Princess By Cywinski in your collection. I would highly advise adding this one. Pictures(clear & glossy-you see every detail) & details-a whole index is focused on her outfits & accessories .There are tips where you can find look-alike items. This book is so worth the price! Definitely a collector's item!

I also want to add that there are some pictures that I have not seen. I am not into the blogs or the fan pages as others who follow Kate's every move closely. Their views are different than mine as far as this book is concern. I do want to mention "The Cecile" dress by Erdem Moralioglu. I got a identical copy of it from ASOS Cruve. Yes, I am a big girl on a budget who tries to get some of Kate's style in clothing & accessories whenever possible. ASOS dress ran about $70.00 from their U.S. site. I was informed By Ashley Falcon(a writer for People Style Watch's Plus Size Style. Yes, she sometimes does answer fan questions/e-mails.) where to find some plus sizes in Kate's style. Another place she mentioned to look is Eloquii by The Limited. It has a similar dress(shorter sleeves) looking like the Issa's "Sapphire" dress worn on the engagement announcement. I paid about $50.00 for it. However @ this writing,this store SEEMED to be going out of business. Do check it out anyways! Compared to Kate's choice, it came at a reasonable price. ASOS is brought up in the book as a maternity selection. I wouldn't knock all of this book's resources that it gives. I still say it's worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is As Interesting Inside As It Looks On The Cover, August 8, 2013
Aimee Rogers (Norman, Oklahoma United States) - See all my reviews
I chose this book because I loved the look of the cover, and I was hoping the book would be like the cover. The book inside is like the cover plus more. It has the beautiful pictures, but it also has text about different clothing, accessories like hats, purses, and jewelry. I love this book. Anyone who is interested in Kate Middleton I think would love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased with purchase, July 15, 2013
I purchased this book as I have always admired the way that the Duchess of Cambridge has presented herself to the public. This book is really well put together. There is a lot of great info about her clothes but best of all is the style tips given so that anyone can look as stylish as Kate does!

I have loaned this book to several friends and they are also suitably impressed with the info supplied in the book.

A great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars New Style Icon, June 15, 2013
Love this book. Lots of colorful pictures of Kate wearing fabulous styles and also detailed photos of some of her shoes, hats, purses, and jewelry. I enjoyed reading the backstory of some of her famous outfits and little insider tidbits I didn't know. I don't think anyone can perfectly match her style and grace but there are wonderful tips on how to shop and style your wardrobe to resemble Kate's...for less money. In the back is an index of designers, shops, and products she loves. Highly recommended for any fashion, Kate, or royal fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Culmination of Kate's fashions so far......., June 12, 2013
I read the reviews so far and cannot say I agree with all of them. I pre-ordered this book the moment I saw it featured on Amazon.com......

I am an avid fan of Princess Diana and by extension -- also Kate Middleton / Catherine Duchess of Cambridge.......I am a member of facebook group page & website of Diana's Legacy and on the website I host a page about the Royal Dolls, along with hosting a group page for the Diana & Kate dolls on facebook. We have featured several doll seamstresses on the website, who take Diana and Kate's fashions and reproduce them for the Franklin Mint 16" Princess Diana and Kate Middleton (engagement / bride) dolls. We are always sharing pics from the internet to help these seamstresses re-create the outfits worn by both Diana & Kate. Even the jewelry, accessories, shoes, etc. We are very passionate about this also....

This book is a great resource for these seamstresses - pics of the outfit, where she wore the outfit first, etc. In the next book I would like to see them show the backs of the outfit too - that view helps these seamstresses greatly.... Overall, I was overjoyed to receive this book and was not disappointed.

I read in one of the previous reviews about the bad picture taken of Kate at the closing ceremony for the London Olympics --- I went on line and pulled up the numerous shots of that evening..... as bad as this shot is, it is one of the few taken that evening that shows the full length view of Kate's dress.... all the other pics she is behind the partial wall where she was seated - even when she is standing the wall comes up to mid thigh on her - shots of her talking with the Prime Minister and his wife before they were seated, never show a full shot of Kate. So I believe out of all the pics taken that evening.... this was the best full-length view of the dress.

And I realize that no matter how through these editors / writers / fashion people thought they were being - you can never satisfy everyone - someone will be overly critical over something.... and maybe the overly critical readers of this book should try and put the next book together of Kate's fashions and see how well they do.... just sayin!

Anyway, I hope the author / research people / publisher, etc., continue to publish similar books on Kate as the years go by --- to keep us up on what Kate wears along with the activities that she is involved with..... Overall, I really enjoyed and enjoy the book -- and I am appreciative of the work entailed to put this together. I would like to see them include pics on All the jewelry, accessories, shoes, scarves, etc., that Kate wears -- believe me when I say, we fans take note of all of it and feel cheated when these images are not included (i.e. no picture of the earrings Kate wore to the premier of the Disney movie "African Cats" - they were described but no pic....).

Thank you for this wonderful resource -- keep up the great work and I and other Diana/Kate fans look forward to additional books such as this, to be published.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gift for granddaughter., June 27, 2014
For granddaughter, a big fan of Kate's. Would recommend item & seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, useful information, May 30, 2014
This is one of the rare books that I did not purchase from Amazon. The picture of the cover and description on Amazon did not create interest as I am not a follower of Kate's style. Then I saw the book in a store and was able to page through it. I love this book. All the photographs are all of the complete outfit (with additional close ups of jewelry, shoes, etc) and the printed description covers the jewelry, shoes, handbag, as well as the garment. There are also tips on how to put together a Kate style look and a directory of the shops including address, phone numbers, and web site. Her choices are all the more interesting because according to this book she does not have a stylist. Anyone will be able to use this book as a guide to assembling an attractive, ladylike, chic wardrobe.

Kate's Style: Smart, Chic Fashion from a Royal Role Model
Kate's Style: Smart, Chic Fashion from a Royal Role Model by (Lifestyle journalist) Caroline Jones (Paperback - July 1, 2013)
$16.99 $10.61