5.0 out of 5 stars A great selection of Katherine's music for Decca
Although Katherine Jenkins recorded six albums for Decca, this collection draws heavily on just three of them, these being Second Nature, Living A Dream and Serenade. It would be fair to say that these were the albums that really established Katherine's reputation following her promising debut album, which isn't represented here at all.

It's possible to argue...
Published on November 10, 2009 by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars If you liked Katherine Jenkins on Dancing with the Stars, you might enjoy this album.
I was disappointed in this CD because the quality was not as good as when I heard her sing on TV.
Published 7 months ago by J. Kemp

5.0 out of 5 stars A great selection of Katherine's music for Decca, November 10, 2009
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)

It's possible to argue what should have been included. The compilers had a hard job in selecting seventeen tracks that represent the best of Katherine's Decca music. No doubt the selection was influenced by the need to ensure that the album qualified for inclusion in the classical music charts, as all but one of her earlier albums did. This may explain the absence of Katherine's exquisite covers of We'll meet again, You'll never walk alone and Amazing grace, to name but three popular songs that I would like to have seen included. But I am pleased that Decca chose to include Don't cry for me Argentina. This was not included on Living A Dream , but it was included in a deluxe edition of the same album. I decided not to pay the premium price for just that track and one other. There's also a deluxe edition of this collection, Katherine Jenkins: The Ultimate Collection / Special Edition, containing a second CD featuring eight live tracks, but again I opted for the standard edition.

Whether this truly is the ultimate collection of her music, this compilation certainly provides a great introduction to the music of Katherine Jenkins.

5.0 out of 5 stars Katherine Jenkins Ultimate Collection, January 8, 2011
tech guy "tech guy" (small town, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
I like Katherine Jenkins and have all of her older albums so I almost skipped getting this one. However, I am glad that I ended up getting the album. There are 3 new songs on it. The album is quite enjoyable. Note: There are two versions of this album. One has 14 songs and one has 17 songs. If you want the new music, get the one with 17 songs. This collection is more "show tunesy" than some of her more classically themed albums. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Katherine is Katherine~!!!, March 10, 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
I also am relatively new to Katherine. I am a violinist/cellist who really doesn't care for genuine opera and am delighted with the versatility and arrangements Katherine presents. She is incredible. My current favorite has to be "Daydream," though I love what she has done with the theme from "Mission"- the "Gabriel's Oboe" theme. wow. My only two wishes- and in simply commenting thus, I realize I, too am guilty of promoting this first-are that reviewers would stop sensationalizing Kath's physical beauty as so integral a part of describing her- and that people would quit trying to categorize her so. She has a super stage presence, an innocence, a naturalness uncommon to the usual expectations of a mezzo performer. This is Katherine Jenkins! She colors outside the box and does she ever know how to color! Brava to this exceptional young artist who is living her dream!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Opinion, January 16, 2011
Randal J. Batty (Aliso Viejo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
This is a fine DVD, although anyone could argue about whether the contents are an "ultimate" collection. I have my favorites, as I'm sure you do -- so no single compilation would ever satisfy everyone. A couple of observations: Generally, I would prefer if KJ NOT record songs already performed by other artists. Doing so, invites an apples and oranges type of comparison. Having said that, I believe her rendition of "Nella Fantasia" is the best I've heard. Oddly, the same holds true of "Music of the Night." Though Webber wrote this for a male voice, I haven't heard one yet that does it justice. Although KJ's version's orchestration lacks the original authenticity/punch that say Sarah Brightman's recording presents, KJ's mezzo soprano vocals are better equipped to handle the lower notes. On the down side, "Time to Say Goodbye" is unbeatable by the Bocelli/Brightman duet. "Caruso" is a signature song of Bocelli. KJ does a great job with this, but, again, it only invites/instigates comparison. "I Could Have Danced All Night" is owned by Julie Andrews. "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" is a flat effort by KJ, and cannot stand up to the renditions of Sarah Brightman or even Madonna. Why? Well, if I have one criticism of KJ it is that she simply cannot inject personal emotion/passion in any of her songs. (Brightman and Madonna (for instance) have a long history of theatricality under their belts. Perhaps KJ is still too young/inexperienced to feel comfortable surrendering to these impulses (if she has them). I don't know. She seems focused on technical perfection and unable (yet) to inject her own soul into the recordings. I think she'll get to that point, but it might take awhile. This is an apples/oranges comparison, but try to recall how Barbara Streisand (right out of the box) just allowed everything to flow from somewhere deep within. It's not a lack of enthusiasm on the part of KJ, just (seemingly) an untapped ability to let herself go. That criticism aside, I will nevertheless continue buying everything she releases, and I'll be carefully listening for any evolution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Katherine Jenkins Ultimate Collection, October 26, 2010
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
Miss Jenkins has a great voice. I love this CD! Hope to hear more from Miss Jenkins in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife likes her music, I like her CD cover, September 15, 2012
Npcoach (Newbury Park, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
She is a great singer - amazing voice. This particular cd of hers has a selection of songs that my wife really enjoys. If you are a fan, you don't need to be told how good she is. If you are not a fan, you will be after listening to this.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Ultimate Lady!, May 4, 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
This is great music from a fine lady. What a fine and clear voice, a stunning beauty, a very versatile talent, and a very good person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Soprano, April 21, 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
All I can say is this is a marvelous collection of songs being sung by a lovely young woman with a beautiful voice. This is a gem in any CD collection. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jenkins DVD, March 6, 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
Katherine Jenkins has a beautiful voice and this is one of her best DVDs. I highly recommend it. I never get tired listening to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a voice!, February 15, 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
Katherine Jenkins packs quite a vocal ability, and shares it with the audience in this CD. As I do not currently own any of her other material, I cannot compare this work with any of her others. And although I have a musical background, I usually am not a particular fan of opera-style music/musicians. However there have been a few exceptions, notably Hayley Westenra and the original 3 tenors group (Carreras, Domingo, Pavarotti).

A nice variety of songs, not just opera extracts, makes this CD very enjoyable. The reason I got it in the first place since I am not an opera fan? Well, somehow it showed up in the list of recommendations for me, and I decided to listen to some of the snippets. I was both surprised and impressed enough to order this CD, and for me it was well worth it.

Not to worry though -- I am still not a big fan of opera! :)

Rate and Discover Movies