Katie or Maggie as Rachel?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 15, 2009 6:12:00 PM PST
Scarlett says:
I liked Maggie better, actually. First, I find her much more believable as an attorney and 2nd, she just plays the character better. I feel like she makes Rachel seem more mature. Maybe it was just poor Katie's lines byt she always seemed too whiny and unsure of things. What does everyone else think?

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 10:52:48 AM PST
Jim C says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 6:57:50 PM PST
Olaf Lechler says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 17, 2009 9:35:44 PM PST
Mike Schmitt says:
I thought maggie was acceptable, though not as cute as katie -- i just wish they didn't have to do the whole "switching actors because of hollywood drama" thing. that was kinda distracting. At least they got a replacement rachel who resembled the original + 5 or 10 years... the similarity between the two chicks is actually pretty interesting.

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 9:22:03 AM PST
I thought the lady in the second was quite attractive and done well. I don't want the sensual, chest-popping sort of girl. That's not attractive.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2009 10:00:17 AM PDT
JR Corry says:
Definitely Maggie.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2009 3:34:40 PM PDT
WriterGal says:
Maggie. She seemed more mature as you said.

Posted on Apr 14, 2009 12:50:59 PM PDT
Miami Nights says:
I thought Maggie Gyllenhaal, while more believable as an attorney, was miscast. Holmes was likewise miscast, as she didn't seem mature enough to be assistant district attorney.
I think Selma Blair would have been a better choice than either of them. Gyllenhaal is rather ugly, while Holmes was better looking, but too young or immature to play the role.
Blair looks better, is older, and would probably have better chemistry with Bale. Neither actress who played Rachel had good chemistry with Bale.

Posted on Apr 16, 2009 4:23:31 PM PDT
I agree with you, Scarlett. For Rachel Dawes, I thought Katie Holmes was okay, but seemed a little young for the role. Maggie Gyllenhall was at the best suited age for the role and had better chemistry with Christian Bale, which improved her performence. A similar case is in Superman Returns, when Kate Bosworth landed the role of Lois Lane. She was around 22 years old during filming! She was also alright, but it was the only thing that degrated from its predecesors, but still the best in the Superman series, nonetheless. I am not so sure about what I would think of the Batman series' Joel Schmacher duology, though. When I saw them, I was just a kid. I will post reviews on them when I see them more clearly now that I am older.

Posted on Dec 30, 2009 8:57:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2009 9:06:00 AM PST
Mag was great... she is tall and she played the role well..

She called BW out when she thought he was clowning HD.

Also she did not think Batman was some magical guy.
She treated him like he was a crazy guy in a suit....

Maggie's method seemd to have Rachel in balance with her friend
who missed his chance with her... She seems to feel sorry for him
on many levels...

1st for being Batman
2nd wanting out of being Batman
3rd wanting her
4th not being able to have her

But just like BW who was torn between three men (Himself, Batman, and HD)
she was torn between the same 3 men.

MG did a good job putting those emotions on screen without any over
acting.

I'm glad she was not some bomb shell face with no talent...

No body in this film was mega pretty... and that's good.
Everyone seemed gritty and hard nosed... Just like you would expect
from Big City peeps!

Great film! Great Casting! 5 Star!

Posted on Jan 1, 2010 7:58:57 PM PST
Maggie is the better actress all around. Unfortunately I don't think either one of them was right for the role in my opinion. Both much younger than Bale and it is hard to believe that they were actually childhood friends because of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2010 8:13:09 PM PST
Miami Nights says:
I've probably said it here before, but I think that Selma Blair would have made for a more believable assistant DA and someone who looks around the same age as Bale.

I always sensed that Katie Holmes was chosen because of her ties to the WB, through Dawson's Creek. And I still don't know why Maggie G. was chosen. She was worse than Holmes.

Posted on Feb 7, 2010 4:01:34 PM PST
Hi. Remember when I at first thought that Superman Returns was the best of the series last April? I revisited the series during this period of time, and I realized that even though Returns was great (almost on par with X-Men), the two Richard Donner ones have a little more to offer, especially that Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder played the roles of Superman and Lois Lane better than Brandon Routh and Kate Bosworth. Not to mention that the first is a classic that made you believe a man can fly and the second's Donner Cut is a whole lot better than Lester's version.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2010 4:06:56 PM PST
Jim C says:
Gees....ya think?

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 6:47:20 PM PST
You got that right.

Posted on Mar 10, 2010 7:40:10 AM PST
I think Katie was superior in the role.

Posted on Mar 10, 2010 3:31:47 PM PST
BEEZER says:
It's not even a choice anymore since Tom has Katie locked away in a closet somewhere. I thought both were good tho.

Posted on Mar 12, 2010 4:24:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2010 4:25:32 PM PST
VideoGuy says:
I really don't care, but I was disappointed they weren't able to use the same actress for both Batman movies. I don't know...it's just weird when a new actor/actress takes over like that.

All I know is...I bet Katie is kicking herself in the tush everyday for not continuing with the role. She probably had no idea TDK was going to be this much of a smash hit...

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 4:33:52 PM PDT
Katie was made for the role. They should've definitely offered her more money to reprise her role. It's like in Superman Returns i don't understand why so many people hated kate bosworth for doing a very good job on the Superman film, if you wanna hate people, hate the people who CAST Kate Bosworth, don't hate her for doing her job.

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 5:20:40 PM PDT
None of them should be the one ,but, Maggie? No way... Katie all the way 300%. I dont know what they saw in maggie,she looks too old, and shes not pretty at all.

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 7:51:24 PM PDT
VideoGuy says:
I agree, Crow. At least Katie is pretty. Maggie just looks strange. But personally, they should've stuck with Katie because like I said, it's just weird to replace a character with a different actress like that.

Posted on Mar 22, 2010 10:55:10 AM PDT
Jack says:
I didn't think I would like Maggie more, but I did.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2010 8:47:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2010 9:04:22 PM PDT
W. Aker says:
Nice RZA! You're absolutely right about Selma Blair. Holmes and GyllenDULL were terrible! Jake Gyllenhaal would have made a more believable and more attractive ADA than his sister. Plus there would have been the whole Brokeback tie-in with Heath!

I simply could not understand the choice for either woman in either movie. Holmes and Gyllenhall are respectively decent in a few movies. Neither has the chops to hold their own with Bale and certainly not with Oldman; not even with Eckhart and that guy is Hollywood's biggest joke on the public!

Like RZA said, Selma Blair has the stones; potentially Jennifer Connelly, Evangeline Lilly, Zoe Saldana, or Elizabeth Banks. But to continue with the horrible debacle of female leads in this series, it will probably be Zoey Deshanel or Mena Suvari...

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2010 12:43:24 PM PDT
Miami Nights says:
@W. Aker
Thanks for the praise/support.
I didn't like Holmes in the role, but when I saw Maggie's turn, I was wanting Holmes back.
I read a review of Dark Knight, and in it, the blogger/critic said Maggie looks like someone hit her face with a frying pan. I thought that was rather harsh, but, yes, she's not exactly the best looking woman around.
If not Selma Blair (whom I imagine was busy with Hellboy II around that time), they could have gotten "older" women, ones who would have more chemistry with Bale, and pair up better age-wise.
Some of those you mentioned would have been fine, such as Jennifer Connelly.
For the next Batman flick, I hope they don't go for a female whom they think will bring in a young, female audience.
They need to make what works for the script, and the audiences will come. I think Nolan's already proven himself through these two movies to be able to chose who's right for the role. I feel the studio's tinkering with his choices.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2010 11:52:33 PM PDT
I agree with your comment on Donner's cut of the second film!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  26
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Dark Knight [Theatrical Release]
The Dark Knight [Theatrical Release] (Theatrical Release)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (2,630)