Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on February 23, 2010
I tapped into the lower radiator hose to feed the unit.Took a bit of plumbing but prolly still much easier then pulling a frost plug or attaching to a coolant drain.I attached the other end to the upper heater core hose.I have a timer hooked up so it turns on 3 hours before I leave for work.If it's gonna be below 0 I set it for 4 hours.The engine turns so much easier and smoother....another great feature is the instant heat.Allready have warm air coming out the defrost where otherwise it would take about 10 minutes to get that warm.This is with a Ford 302 5ltr V-8
on January 28, 2010
I pre-heat my 237/(300) Mack engine with the heater; I power a large circular sawmill with the engine; I set my timer (Lowe's exterior timer; $22.00)depending on night temperature. If it gonna get -20, I have it kick on at midnight; if -30 I plug it in as soon as I shut the mill down (4PM); if 0 to -10 degrees (the usual in winter)I set the timer to kick it on at 3AM. At 16 cents kwh it cost about 25 cents an hour to operate-cheap insurance! Some have had less success than I have had with tank heaters because they didn't follow directions-enough said-follow directions and it will work fine. This thing is the nuts! My big Mack prime mover kicks right of with not even a full turn; before the suggestion to put on this beautiful heater; I had to futz and fart around with salamanders,tarps and all that horsetwaddle, then to start it cold and listen to the 'Mack symphony' for five minutes while she warmed up some (a bone-wrenching noise as deisel damage occurs when started from COLD). Start your engine WARM with this Kat 1500 watt heater; also have one on the (CAT 944) loader. Remember to turn of Kat heater before starting engine lest you blow the batteries. Enough said-you cannot find a better engine heater than this innocent looking gem; 5 years and works great!
55 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2011
I installed this on a 1995 GMC pick-up. A previously garage kept vehicle that got kicked to the driveway for a new car and not previously subjected to cold starts. With a couple days of grinding cold starts (20-30 degrees), I looked for a heating solution. This was exactly what I was looking for! As mentioned in some of the other comments, I connected the unit to a timer that kicks on a couple hours before I leave in the morning. The instant heat is great, but the quick and effortless starting is even better. The entire engine block is warm to the touch, and you would think it had been running for about 15-minutes.

I installed the unit using the block drain plug option. Since it requires gravity feed to supply the heater, I found a perfect location on the frame directly under the starter, and I used an existing bolt (13mm) that holds a brake line and some wiring. The supply hose runs from the driver's side, under the oil pan and into the heater. The product calls for 5/8" hose, but if you have to splice into 3/4" hose (like I did), don't buy reducers; just push the hose beyond the first bevel, and the clamps will hold. Total installation was about two hours, and you will need approximately five feet of 5/8" hose.

The longivity of this unit remains to be seen, but it is currently exceeding expectations.
on January 16, 2013
I am a ret. mechanic of 30 years and have learned that if you want something to last you should follow the mfg recomendations. This product cannot be installed as shipped,(not talking about added heater hose) on my 86 GMC 350. The instructions clearly state to not add more than 12-18" of heater hose for lower block install. Easiest install is heater hose to lower rad. hose but they do not include the lower rad. hose coupler "T".
The schematic looks like it was drawn by a third grader! The thing is not motor driven but works on fluid convection and has to be installed in a vertical position only. Had I knowen this I would not have purchased it. They do not point this out on the amazon website. It has been my experience in the past that products such as this,(slipshod instructions) probably are not worth installing because they just do not LAST. In short if they are going to economize on the instructions what else have they economized on?
44 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2011
installed the smaller 1000w
I installed this on a 1.0L Geo. I have the lower radiator hose hooked to the inlet and the outlet going into my heater core. Installed easy with a few feet of 5/8" heater hose. Mounted it flush with the bottom of my swing arm so its low. At 27 deg. it will warm the engince up in 2 hours. Just over that my thermastat opens and regulates the heat. When I get into the car and start it it is already at running temp and blowing hot air from the heater! I would rather have this on a timer than a 200 watt heater on all night. I think the 1500w or the 2000w would probably blow a head gasket on such a small engine lol.
on January 10, 2010
This heater was installed as a replacement unit on a John Deere 3020 diesel tractor. It appears to be made pretty well and came with all the necessary hardware for installation. It has only been used about 6 times but has worked great, so far. Time will tell.
44 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2013
I PURCHASED THIS FOR A 2008 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX. IT HEATS UP VERY WELL BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM I HAVE. I DON'T KNOW IF ITS A PROBLEM WITH THIS MODEL CAR OR OTHERS BUT MY CKECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON INSTANTLY AFTER I START THE CAR AFTER BEING PLUGGED IN. I DID SOME RESEARCH AND IT LOOKS LIKE THE COMPUTER SEES TO BIG OF A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE COOLANT TEMPERATURE AND THE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSORS. I'VE NEVER TAKEN THE CAR IN TO SEE IF MY SENSORS ARE OUT OF CALIBRATION SO I JUST LEFT IT ON THE CAR AND DON'T USE IT. I SHOULD MENTION VERY EASY TO INSTALL.
on February 28, 2009
these things are great. i have an excursion and an f350 and have one on each. took about 4-5hrs with the first one and 4 hrs by myself for the second. by plenty of heater hose and i had luck mounting them on passenger side back of front bumper. even the cord is hidden inside the bumper so it does not alter the appearance.
on December 4, 2013
Heater works well, puts out a lot of heat quickly, but keep in mind this is a high wattage heater that takes about 13 amps to operate. While it is fine for my tractor, using a heavy extension cord plugged into its own circuit, it comes close to maxing out a 15 amp circuit by itself. About all you can run is this heater, and something small, like a few lights.
The heater itself works well. Installation was simple, as I was replacing a similar heater that went bad, all I had to do was install this one to the existing hoses from the other one. I'd give it 5 stars if it has a slightly more stout mounting bracket. It is a universal fit type, and is easy to bend/form to reach an existing bolt on my tractor, but I'm afraid it will crack over time from the vibration, as it is a very thin strap.
on March 31, 2014
Received the product within days. I specifically purchased this unit to heat the block on my 3.5 litre in line six marine diesel engine. The installation went well all the required parts are included in the kit. When installing just remember to mount the unit as low as possible and make sure you bleed any air from the unit before plugging in the power. This is not a pump it is a purculating circulating heater. Within 15 minutes the outlet hose (top) was hot to touch and the inlet hose (bottom) was cold. This shows it was operating and in 30 minutes the cylinder head and exhaust manifolds were warm. I started my engine for the first time in months and it fired right up with minimum smoke. Also I might add that before I started my engine the temperature gauge was already at 150 F. Great product, great price would recommend this particular unit to consumers. Rated four stars because I have not had the time to test its durability and longevity. Will keep you posted with another review after 3 months. Update on product. I have actually plugged this unit in only four times and it now has stopped working. Once I took it apart I found the heating coils to be expanded. I would now re rate this product with 1 star. I am trying to alert the manufacture and also tried to find parts in order to repair. My issue is that I didn't get a chance to install unit for about 7 months after purchase and than I did not need to use it until recently. By this time the warranty is not in effect.