Katy Perry The Movie: Part of Me
Format: DVDChange
Price:$7.05 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: DVD
Even though I love Katy Perry's music, I didn't expect to love her movie. There's a big difference between enjoying a five minute song and watching a two-hour movie. I only saw the movie because my two daughters wanted to see it.

As it turns out, I really loved the movie. Viewers get a unique glimpse not only into Katy's current pop star lifestyle and concert tour madness, but also into her struggle to get a music label in the first place as well as her efforts to hold together a failing marriage.

But the reason I really ended up loving this movie is because Katy the person (not Katy the pop star) really appears to be genuinely sweet and likeable. I loved seeing her interact with her siblings, her friends, her fans, her evangelist parents, and even her adorable grandmother. Katy's "realness" really touched my heart . . . and even watered my eyes more than once.

This is a touching movie about a charming girl!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon July 13, 2012
Format: Blu-ray
"Katy Perry Part of Me" is a rare and unique glimpse into the life, childhood, upbringing, ups and down and tag along journey for the concert tour of a lifetime for Katy Perry. In the capable hands of producers Brian Grazer and Ron Howard, this isn't just your ordinary run-of-the-mill documentary/concert video, this is a story and a behind the scenes insight like I've never seen before.

A few things grabbed me as the movie starts with the preparation of her monster first world tour. They start with the setup for her first concert and her associating with her crew, dancers and staff before going into the opening number. She treats the people around her like gold. The people she hires to do her costumes, makeup, manage her schedule and organize her life aren't industry people. They are her friends. They were ordinary, run-of-the-mill people who Katy worked with when she was a nobody and she kept them. She loves them, and they love her and that is the nuts and bolts of "Part of Me".

Katy Perry may consider herself the `Pied Piper of Weirdness', but I would consider her the `Pied Piper of Genuineness'. It is the heart of her success, because it is exactly what took her, after years of struggle, out from under record labels that told her who she "should" be. Millions of fans, literally overnight, took to her personality of being exactly who she is and fell in love with her. She is the voice of this generation. I don't doubt that. We live in a time where traditions and expectations are blending with freedom of expression and freedom of genuineness. Katy Perry quite simply stands for being proud of who you are and being loud and proud about it. This very thing has made her a mega star.

In the Summer of 2011, Katy Perry did what only one artist had ever done before. She had 5 number one hits from one album. Only Michael Jackson had ever done that before. She did this by not being Avril Lavigne, Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson or who ever else she was told to be like, she did this by being herself and with "Part of Me" you find out, that herself is something good and decent. Until her late teens, she was raised in a strict religious household. Even though she broke from that mold and had to pursue a path apart from her parents, she still finishes her shows looking to the sky and saying, "Thank you God."

Sure, some of what she brings to the stage is like Willy Wonka meets Wizard of Oz but the essence of genuineness that she embodies is no different back stage, with fans or on stage. She is always exactly who she says she is. Although as the toll of the tour begins to mount with personal heartbreaks, we see how she has established a persona with her fans and despite hardships, they come to expect it and she must deliver.

"Katy Perry Part of Me" is not just a concert/behind the scenes video. It goes into the heart of an extremely genuine overnight sensation that is tackling life, just like all of us. The best movies are the ones you walk out of still thinking about, wanting to talk about and maybe even discovering a life lesson or two. "Part of Me" is one of those movies. You come out of that movie feeling a genuine kinship with a celebrity who can never be described as `typical'. There was a joy in her eyes and smile throughout most of the movie, but toward the end some of that was gone and you want to console her like a friend. That's just the way she makes you feel, like everybody else she comes in contact with.
VINE VOICEon October 27, 2013
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I kind of wish I didn't see this. Before I did I was completely indifferent to Katy Perry. I didn't like her or hate her. I just didn't care either way. Then one day I sat down and watched this after hearing some rave reviews about it from critics and I fell in love with her. After watching this I discovered things about this Katy Perry character I didn't know anything about. She was likable and nice. There wasn't a diva bone in her body. I sort of equate female pop stars to being a little full of themselves as if they're curing cancer or something. I realized that Katy Perry is a hardworking girl who loves to entertain, sing and play the guitar. There was some poignant moving moments in this as she allows the cameras to continue filming even when she's visibly heartbroken over the problems with her relationship at the time with Russell Brand. I also didn't know that she writes her own lyrics and that they are from her personal experiences. That made me like her even more that she allows herself to be cracked open in her work. I learned that she didn't have it all handed to her and had to fight to create a career. Sure this is a little cotton candy and bubble gum-ish, but its done so well that you find yourself being uplifted. I'm embarrassed to say that I loved this and became a fan of Katy Perry by the end of this. But hey if she can be that cracked open in her lyrics, I think I can be just as cracked open to admit that I like Katy Perry! Ended up buying this DVD after watching it and of course then ended up buying two of her CD's since I didn't own anything Katy Perry related. "Teenage Dream" and "Prism". It's a good thing she made this movie, otherwise I probably never would've given her a chance. I'm not particularly a big pop music fan, but it seems like she's one of the better ones out there.
on September 17, 2012
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I went to see "Katy Perry: Part Of Me" at my local theater on July 9, 2012; 5 days after it was first released; and again in 3D format on July 18th with a close friend of mine. I knew when I went to see it that it was NOT going to be boring; even just the name Katy Perry is enough to take the dull out of my day. I've been a fan since "California Gurls" in 2010. The stuff from "One Of The Boys" I liked a little later on. What I didn't expect however was how much this film made me love her and her work A LOT more than I did before. There were A LOT of scenes and songs that touched my heart in ways I never expected. One scene was one of her meet and greets where she asks people if they want to dance on stage with her that coincided with her performance of Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". If you liked it on Katy's "California Dreams" tour, you'll love it here too.
Another was what I call the "Hey Jude" scene, when Katy talked about how she handled her divorce from Russell Brand. I can't remember exactly what she said, although I knew what the subject matter was. COME ON! It's been 2 months since I last saw it. A piano version of "Hey Jude" played in the background during her interview. Then came the cruncher; her MusicCares rehearsal of that same song. That made my heart go "KNOCK ME OUT! KNOCK ME OUT!!"
All in all, I knew I was gonna see something truly cool, but I never thought it would be THIS cool! Maybe it's just me. I hope not!
Format: Blu-ray
Highly loved the documentary, even though I usually am not into such things. Never knew about Katy Perry's life and how hard things were for her. Right after the short presentation on youtube, I knew I had to watch it. It gives a lot of information on her which I knew nothing of, including her wonderful personality. This 1 hour documentary will be useful for any of the Katy Perry's fan.
Format: Amazon Instant Video
If you're like me you have probably dreamed of meeting the public person who most inspires your life many times. Maybe it will happen for you as it happens for some fans backstage on Part of Me.

The next best thing would be going to the concert and hoping that one day, maybe.. you could be one of the lucky few who make it all the way backstage and meet your inspiration, or would you meet them randomly somewhere? It happens.

Here then is a rare opportunity to do something similar, experience Katy Perry in concert, get a backstage pass and a fly on the wall behind the scenes look at the California Dreams tour.

I will be the first to admit that I am not Katy Perry's number one fan. I don't own any of her albums, but I do respect her accomplishments, her mighty alabaster orbs, her charisma and presence and the fact that she did manage to get five number ones singles off her Teenage Dreams album.

In so doing she matched an accomplishment only ever achieved by Michael Jackson for Bad.

Her number one Billboard singles were: Last Friday Night (TGIF), California Gurls (featuring Snoop Dogg), the anthemic Firework, E.T (featuring Kanye West) and Teenage Dream.

As a writer I loved her use her use of alliteration on songs such as Hummingbird Heartbeat, and cherry chapstick on I Kissed a Girl.

Part of me is combination biography, concert tour, real life drama. I loved watching the performances and I think she is a tremendous songwriter with one of the best voices in the business.

The bio part shows that overnight success only came after years of hard work, struggle and rejection. It's an inspiring story about persisting against the odds.

Although she was going through some tough personal stuff in her life during this tour particularly with the end of the marriage with Russell Brand I found this gave an emotional wallop to the movie. At one point before the concert in Rio she sobs uncontrollably in her dressing room. Her staff wonders if she can perform at all.

Then she calls for her makeup artist. On her way to the stage she breaks down again her body racked with sobs. Then she gets on the elevator to the stage, she turns on her lollipops and we see a change in her facial expression as her game face comes on. It's a wonder to behold. What a trouper.

Then the fans sing 'we love you Katy' in Portuguese almost as if they sense her struggle and lift her up. These were some of the greatest moments I will experience at any movie this year. The concert scenes I found to be visually spectacular down to the smallest detail with vibrant colors and a dizzying array of colorful costumes that dutifully and beautifully highlight her voluptuous figure.

I commend her for letting us get so close and sharing something so deeply personal even though she was hurting at the time. In so doing she has fashioned a remarkable movie.

I loved this movie and highly recommend it even if you are not a huge fan but just love great performance and I hope you found this helpful.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 17, 2014
Format: Amazon Instant Video
Katy is a like a bright star amongst us. She is such a joy to watch. I am so glad the youth of this generation has her as a great role model. Mr. Brand was never worthy of her. She deserves the best. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole movie.
on October 14, 2013
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
I love this movie. I learned a lot from her life: how she struggled getting a record out and proved people who didn't believe in her wrong. She's really genuine and funny. I'm a big fan! The special features are great, too: full length performances of "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" and "Waking Up in Vegas" and a bunch of other adorable clips. Worth buying and highly recommended!
on September 21, 2012
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
I have never bought any of Katy Perry's music but I did enjoy this documentary - she seems very bubbly, like-able and charismatic and it was a fun watch. I still don't plan on buying any of her music as its not really to my taste, but it was an enjoyable movie and the subject matter seemed heartfelt and genuine (the parts about her happiness/heartbreak over her marriage were sad).
on April 4, 2014
Format: Amazon Instant Video
I was hesitant to watch this movie thinking that it would be a teeny booper movie however it was very eye opening on a very strong woman who went trough true hard knocks to get where she is today - she is talented and although she wears kooky outfits, she is not raunchy by any stretch of the imagination. I actually am going to buy her album on iTunes