5.0 out of 5 stars DIY Guitarists - Take heed!
Published on February 18, 2010 by Kalaab M. Pickering

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after three uses
Ceramic pieces inside of unit are very brittle and become detached with use. Pieces find their way into the fan mechanism and jam the motor so the fan will not rotate. The unit is useless at this point. Mine lasted three or four uses over six months.
Published on February 6, 2010 by Jon

5.0 out of 5 stars DIY Guitarists - Take heed!, February 18, 2010
This review is from: Kawasaki 840015 Black 10-Piece Heat Gun Kit (Tools & Home Improvement)
I am a guitarist of 15 years and I've done just about every mod on a guitar that can be done (some times quite handily, other times not so much). On a recent rebuild of a '98 MIM Strat, I found that there was nearly 3/16" of paint and sealer between the top coat and the bare wood. I tried all kinds of paint removal methods, from physical sanding and scraping to chemical removers (some mild, as well as others which would make you grow a third arm upon purchase). There was no solution that would remove this level of coating with any degree of efficiency.

Enter the Kawasaki heat gun, my new partner in crime. After heating up the gun and applying it to the guitar body, the paint instantly bubbled up and was removable in just a few gentle passes of a putty knife. The sanding sealer on the body was a bit more stubborn, but even that relented to the overwhelming effectiveness of this heat gun. When I got done this afternoon, I was astonished that the product worked as effectively as it did while costing me next to nothing. Even with shipping, the asking price of this unit is extremely fair. This heat gun is strong, reliable, effective, and easily purchased. It was just perfect for the job I was doing.

One thing I will mention to guitarists specifically and woodworkers in general: use discretion with this tool. Less is more. This thing is easily hot enough to burn wood, and I had a few minor char marks on my guitar body to prove it. This wasn't an immediate concern for me, as after sanding and painting the body everything was okay, but be warned, this thing is potent.

If you need a heat gun for occasional projects, I challenge you to beat the value of this product. If you use it every day, it may not be as palletable, but all the same for my purposes this tool is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap heat gun got the job done., July 13, 2009
D. M. (39.78N -104.88W) - See all my reviews
Did a small ceiling with this heat gun. It easily got the job done removing 3 layers of paint with no scraping. Then I got an additional original layer off with the gun and scraping. I used it for a while without turning it off and it worked perfectly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after three uses, February 6, 2010
Jon (Rancho Palos Verdes, CA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 Yellow Light fixer, November 1, 2009
Purchased this heat gun primarily to fix my Playstation 3 Yellow Light error. Works like a charm and am happy I have this tool to fix my toys and save money on labor charges. As always, fast shipping from Amazon.com.
jose-

1.0 out of 5 stars Works for 6 weeks, September 29, 2010
mg! (Northern California) - See all my reviews
This unit broke, simply stopped working after six weeks since opening the box. The unit was used nearly every day 5 days a week in an industrial, workbench environment. I believe the units works well when functional. Perhaps it is most suited for hobbyists.

Edit: Amazon replaced our unit with a duplicate model without labels or brand stickers. It still works today.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked great until..., July 22, 2010
Steve Murphy (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This heat gun worked great for maybe a total of 2 hours light use (heat shrink wire tubing) spread out over 5 months, until something on the inside broke off, got into the fan and shorted it out in a big and fairly scary way. Looking into waranty...

EDIT:
Customer service replaced the unit, though I had to pay the return shipping. New one has been working fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars didnt last, September 2, 2011
This heat gun died on me last week after 7 months. I used it within the manufacturers guidelines and it just died.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Last..., August 23, 2011
Despite good reviews, this heat gun died after a few days of light use. It flashed and growled suddenly then stopped working. I let it cool down but it still will not turn on again. I will be returning it to Amazon and buying a different one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Heat but big., February 3, 2010
Adam C. Joo "AJ" (Tallahassee, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this heat gun for sole purpose of shrinking plastic shrink tube for electronics. It gets hot quickly and works effectly, however, I was suprised how BIG this gun is. It's about the size of my wife's blow dryer. It really is intended for large heat gun jobs like stripping and brazing. For the price, I'm happy with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss?, July 16, 2012
Kawasaki 840015 Black 10-Piece Heat Gun Kit

I purchased the Kawasaki heat gun (840015) about 2 months ago. A month into using the heat gun, there was some serious sparks and noise coming out of the gun. I immediately turned it off. There was a piece of metal that was rattling in the heat gun. I initially thought this may have been something I did, but after some investigation of my own (I am an electrical/electronics engineer), the piece that was rattling turned out to be a small piece of metal. It is a little mangled to know for sure what this part is, but it looks a lot like a commutator in the motor.

The plus side
The tool did wonders for heating and even some soft carving (on vinyl toys) which adds to its versatility. It has high and low heat setting which is decent. The accessories extend the a wide variety of use for the heat gun. unfortunately, I have not been able to test out most of it. The stand/cradle is decent, but I wished it would allow the heat gun to stand in a more neutral position, so you would be able to pick it up fo use immediately. This is not a deal breaker for most.

The negative
The tool broke down after a month of use which for me is about 10 times of about 5 minutes use. I question it's reliability and consistency in manufacturing.

I am in the process of getting this replaced by the manufacturer who happens to be quite close to me in Long Beach. I found out this is a licensed product of Kawasaki, so Technically, this is not manufactured by Kawasaki. This may be misleading to some people. The product is manufactured by Alltrade Tools in Long Beach, CA.

Here's a link to Alltrade's website for the tool ([...])
I will update the review upon receipt of the replacement, that is if I do get a repalcement.

Kawasaki 840015 Black 10-Piece Heat Gun Kit