Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: N/A|Change

on February 18, 2010
I am a guitarist of 15 years and I've done just about every mod on a guitar that can be done (some times quite handily, other times not so much). On a recent rebuild of a '98 MIM Strat, I found that there was nearly 3/16" of paint and sealer between the top coat and the bare wood. I tried all kinds of paint removal methods, from physical sanding and scraping to chemical removers (some mild, as well as others which would make you grow a third arm upon purchase). There was no solution that would remove this level of coating with any degree of efficiency.

Enter the Kawasaki heat gun, my new partner in crime. After heating up the gun and applying it to the guitar body, the paint instantly bubbled up and was removable in just a few gentle passes of a putty knife. The sanding sealer on the body was a bit more stubborn, but even that relented to the overwhelming effectiveness of this heat gun. When I got done this afternoon, I was astonished that the product worked as effectively as it did while costing me next to nothing. Even with shipping, the asking price of this unit is extremely fair. This heat gun is strong, reliable, effective, and easily purchased. It was just perfect for the job I was doing.

One thing I will mention to guitarists specifically and woodworkers in general: use discretion with this tool. Less is more. This thing is easily hot enough to burn wood, and I had a few minor char marks on my guitar body to prove it. This wasn't an immediate concern for me, as after sanding and painting the body everything was okay, but be warned, this thing is potent.

If you need a heat gun for occasional projects, I challenge you to beat the value of this product. If you use it every day, it may not be as palletable, but all the same for my purposes this tool is great.
on February 6, 2010
Ceramic pieces inside of unit are very brittle and become detached with use. Pieces find their way into the fan mechanism and jam the motor so the fan will not rotate. The unit is useless at this point. Mine lasted three or four uses over six months.
on September 29, 2010
This unit broke, simply stopped working after six weeks since opening the box. The unit was used nearly every day 5 days a week in an industrial, workbench environment. I believe the units works well when functional. Perhaps it is most suited for hobbyists.

Edit: Amazon replaced our unit with a duplicate model without labels or brand stickers. It still works today.
on July 22, 2010
This heat gun worked great for maybe a total of 2 hours light use (heat shrink wire tubing) spread out over 5 months, until something on the inside broke off, got into the fan and shorted it out in a big and fairly scary way. Looking into waranty...

EDIT:
Customer service replaced the unit, though I had to pay the return shipping. New one has been working fine.
on July 13, 2009
Did a small ceiling with this heat gun. It easily got the job done removing 3 layers of paint with no scraping. Then I got an additional original layer off with the gun and scraping. I used it for a while without turning it off and it worked perfectly.
on August 16, 2012
I've owned this handy little kit for a little over a year now. It has worked well with no issues mechanically (up to this week). The heat gun has worked well for many different jobs and the carrying case allows a nice place to store everything.

For the price this is a great deal, even if only for the heat gun and case, I hardly use any of the other accessories and the stand is pretty useless.

So I give this product 4 stars because of the price and lifetime of the product. As I mentioned the heat gun quit working on me a couple days ago, it fell from a countertop and a piece of the heating element broke off inside of it, this caused the fan to quit working while the heating element continued to work. I've posted up 2 pictures to show what happened, but I took the gun apart, removed the broken pieces (which prevent the fan from turning) and the gun works yet again!

It's a cheap costing product but if it quits working take it apart, don't just buy a new one. I'll save the rant for that. The gun housing is held together by 6 screws, the last one being on the front green piece, which simply twists off, after removing that green part you can pry the gun open. The fan/motor is held in place by 2 screws and slips into the fan shroud/heating element. If your gun quit working pull the fan out and see that the fins aren't catching on something.
review image review image
on September 2, 2011
This heat gun died on me last week after 7 months. I used it within the manufacturers guidelines and it just died.
on August 23, 2011
Despite good reviews, this heat gun died after a few days of light use. It flashed and growled suddenly then stopped working. I let it cool down but it still will not turn on again. I will be returning it to Amazon and buying a different one.
on November 1, 2009
Purchased this heat gun primarily to fix my Playstation 3 Yellow Light error. Works like a charm and am happy I have this tool to fix my toys and save money on labor charges. As always, fast shipping from Amazon.com.
jose-
44 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2010
I purchased this heat gun for sole purpose of shrinking plastic shrink tube for electronics. It gets hot quickly and works effectly, however, I was suprised how BIG this gun is. It's about the size of my wife's blow dryer. It really is intended for large heat gun jobs like stripping and brazing. For the price, I'm happy with it.