Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on November 10, 2012
KaysCase realized their error and overall sent me two cases. The first one did not work with the smart cover. I think they likely made the case too quickly.

But they sent me a second case and it works quite well with the smart cover. It is relatively thin so it doesn't add alot of bulk to the Mini. The price is nice and the cover does what I thought it would do.

Really happy with KaysCase's customer service. They sent me emails and letters letting me know about a replacement case so the communication was superb. This case seems of a real good quality.
on November 3, 2012
So out of the blue, KaysCase sent a new cover that fits with the new Smart Cover. 5 stars for the cover, 10 stars for excellent customer service!

*******************************************************************************

It doesn't fit with the Smart Cover. The case has squared edges for the Smart Cover opening, but the new Smart Cover has rounded edges, so it doesn't fit like it should against the case. By itself though, it's a nice snug fit that provides a non-slip grip.
99 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2012
The TPU-like material feels very protective and fits the ipad mini like a glove, while leaving plenty of space for the smart cover. In combination with the smart cover, this is a great, minimalistic case/protection for the mini. I love it.
VINE VOICEon November 28, 2012
I was late to come to the iPad and e-reader party. My 'Mini' is my first tablet and I preordered it to get an early November delivery date. It's fast becoming my main source for email, books, newspapers and magazines - a great companion on my daily commute. No more lugging three newspapers, two magazines and a book in an overstuffed briefbag along with my work-related gear and documents.

Trouble is, few of the requisite accessories were available when my Mini was delivered, and there aren't many available now. After sitting on a waiting list for weeks for a simple, clear, lightweight back cover from a big 'name brand' maker, to go along with my magnetic smart cover, I stumbled onto this little gem. The price is right, delivery was fast and the product works as advertised. The material is heavier and less 'sticky' than those silicone 'sock' type phone covers - it feels more like the plastic insulation that one often finds on speaker wire or clear lamp cord. If I have one nit to pick, it's that the material doesn't really make it much easier to keep a grip on the iPad. But it does seem to cling to the iPad well and the cutouts fit perfectly to allow access to the lightning connector, earphone jack and controls. There are even two little 'blips' in the plastic for the up and down volume buttons. Those slippery little metal buttons are actually easier to work with the cover on than they were 'naked.'

Truth be told, my preference would be to have a more elegant leather case for my Mini, something along the lines of Cole Haan, Vaja, Coach or Dooney & Burke. Problem is, they aren't being made yet - believe me, I've looked. So in the meantime, the OEM plastic 'smart cover' and this no nonsense plastic cover for the back provide lightweight and functional protection for not a lot of do re mi. Eventually, I will get something fancier, but for now, I don't have to worry over scratches and the iPad stands a reasonable chance of survival if I get clumsy and drop the poor thing.

Sometimes you go to war with the army you have, not the one you wish you had. This cover will do just fine until the reinforcements arrive.
on November 29, 2012
EDIT - KaysCase was nice enough to send me a case that does not have the Smart Cover cut-out (KaysCase S-Line TPU Cover Case for Apple iPad Mini (Smoked)). It is not exactly the same case but it still nice. The new case they sent me has sort of a S-like swirl on the back that is smooth and shiny. I really prefer the look and texture of the original case I ordered (KaysCase Slim Soft Gel Smart Cover Compatible Back Cover Case for Apple iPad Mini (Smoked)) and it would be my ideal case - minus the Smart Cover cut-out. I have to give KaysCase an extra star for amazing customer support!!!

The best thing about the iPad Mini is size and the unbelievable thickness (or should I say thinness). It is so thin and light, it feels like it's going to slip out of my hands and shatter into even smaller pieces. I knew the smart thing to do was to get some kind of case, but I didn't want a bulky case to jeopardize the relationship my hands have with my new iPad Mini. There were quite a few options to choose from, but I liked what other reviewers wrote about the company that makes this case. It sounds like they really listen to their customers and I feel like there are not enough companies that realize just how important it is to have people that make a choice to buy their product over the hundreds of other competing products. Lots of choices. Anyway... the KaysCase Slim Soft Gel case... very thin.

It hardly adds any weight or thickness to the iPad Mini. It fits very snug, despite the fact that one long side is left almost entirely naked to accommodate for the Apple Smart Cover. All of the cut-outs are perfectly aligned and smooth with no jagged edges. At first, I thought the rear camera cut-out was misaligned, but I quickly noticed that the cut-out edge was casting a shadow depending on how you were looking at it. This was making it appear as though it was off by a couple of millimeters - that was an illusion :). The finish is a matte-like surface with a very subtle texture that does not attract fingerprints. This case feels very good in your hands and does not have that sticky feel like a lot of gel cases - you know the ones that pickup every single piece of dust and lint. The subtle texture gives the iPad Mini sort of a non-slip feel which is a welcomed feature for anyone who has held a naked iPad Mini.

All-in-all this is a very nice case for anyone that wants to protect their iPad Mini from scratches, slippery fingers, and fingerprints without adding any bulk.

The one thing I did not talk about in detail is the Smart Cover compatibility. That's because I am not a fan of the Smart Cover. I find them annoying. Granted, they provide protection from the screen when the iPad is not in use, but they are extremely intrusive and cumbersome when you are trying to read, watching a movie, or typing - with the thing flapping about in the back. If you like the Smart Cover, I suppose you could just take it off when you are using the iPad, but I just see it as more of a hassle that a benefit.

That would lead me to my ONLY gripe with this case: I wish they sold a version WITHOUT the Smart Cover cut-out. I think there are a lot of people who will never own a Smart Cover - me being one of them. I have to admit that this case looks a little goofy without a Smart Cover - with one side exposed while every other edge is covered and protected. I would suggest that KaysCase consider this plea.

Two more things before I go:

I bought the "Smoked" color. It is a semi-see-through and you can very faintly see the Apple logo through the case. The product picture is a little misleading - it makes it look more transparent than it really is. Perhaps in better light you can see the Apple logo better, but I could barely see it. This is by no means a deal breaker, I just wanted to point that out.

In some other reviews (or maybe on the YouTube video comments), people mention that the KaysCase logo is very large and takes away from the clean iPad design. I just want to say that mine doesn't have ANY logo AT ALL. I guess they decided to remove it completely, but there is no logo, no writing, nothing on this one - it's totally clean and elegant.

I would highly recommend this case! I took one star away for the unwanted Smart Cover cut-out. If they offered one without the Smart Cover cut-out, I would definitely give it 5 stars.

- Dave
VINE VOICEon December 17, 2012
What's the ONE main thing you expect when buying a "Smart Cover Compatible" back cover case for your iPad mini? That's right--it should work flawlessly with your Smart Cover. And on that key point, this KaysCase gets a failing grade and so a one star rating.

The problem is simple: when you attach this back cover case onto your Mini, it forms a rounded lip that wraps over and sticks slightly above the edge of the entire screen, except for the area where the Smart Cover attaches. When you close the Smart Cover, that lip prevents it from sitting completely flush against the screen. It "sort of" closes, but not that securely, so it easily slips open and turns the Mini back on. You would never want to trust this while carrying the Mini in a bag of any kind.

While the gel material feels of pretty good quality, it's heavily frosted--not really "clear"--and it also adds almost two ounces to the weight of your Mini.

All in all, a one star disappointment that I'm returning to Amazon. Check out the Poetic ThinShell Back Smart Cover Case for a lighter, cheaper and genuinely clear (plus other colors) back cover case that really works as it should!
on December 18, 2012
Nice fit, excellent tactile characteristics (both touch and grip). Quality product. Would have given it 5 stars but the opening for the Lightning connector has issues. The first issue is that the top of the opening is too tight, which means I have to force the Lightning connector into the slot. This causes an obvious bulge in the cover. The second issue is that the cover blocks the official Apple 20-pin to Lightning adapter from seating properly. This forces me to remove the back cover in order to charge the iPad mini with the adapter seated in my iHome radio's charging dock.

I resolved the first issue by reaming out the Lightning opening with an Exacto knife. The second issue can't be resolved without a redesign by the cover's manufacturer.
on June 3, 2013
Before buying this I read all the reviews and noted comments about problems with alignment of the various holes and interference with the operation of the Apple smartcover auto-turn-off feature. However, I decided to take the risk. It was worth it. This gel cover makes it so much more comfortable to hold the iPad Mini for long periods and less likely that it will slip out of your hand. When first putting it on, you do need to fiddle with it a bit to get it so that the headphone plug and lightning connector will go in properly through the holes in the case. But once it is properly aligned it stays aligned. The auto turn-off works fine, although the thickness of the gel means that the Apple smartcover magnet does not hold the cover down as tightly as without the gel cover present. As a result, if you shove it in a bag with a lot of other stuff, the smartcover may open enough to turn on the iPad. However, I have had no such problems because I put the whole thing (with gel cover and smartcover) in a soft outer case before putting it in a briefcase or shoulder bag. Reduction in magnetic adhesion is certainly not a problem if you just leave the iPad on a flat surface like a bedside table. Overall, I am delighted with the gel cover.
on April 20, 2015
It does the job of protecting the back of my iPad Mini, and it works well enough with my ZAGG keyboard that I have for it. I really like the faux leather feel it has. But I'll warn that the cut out for the charging port is not large enough. I just push back the case and charge it and then put it back in place, but technically I shouldn't have to do that so I'm giving it three stars.
on December 21, 2013
I have gotten a few products from KaysCase now and what you get is not only a high quality product at the best possible price but a company that stands behind it and wants to make sure that their customers are happy. I was contacted shortly after my purchase to make sure I was 100% satisfied and when I told them about a small defect I had found that I wouldn't have called about myself, they immediate sent me out a replacement. That's the kind of things you don't see in many companies anymore. I will always look to Kays first when buying anything they carry now.