4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for classrooms
Published on January 20, 2007 by J. Benner

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the real thing
This book was a real disappointment. Keats's stories are good, but it's his illustrations that make him so wonderful. This book takes his illustrations and shrinks them down -- two , sometimes three, full-page illustrations crammed on one page. And my favorite picture from The Snowy Day didn't even make it in.
I had expected this to be the complete stories, but...
Published on April 23, 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the real thing, April 23, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Keats's Neighborhood: An Ezra Jack Keats Treasury (Hardcover)
I had expected this to be the complete stories, but it's not. You would do better to buy the individual books than to buy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for classrooms, January 20, 2007
I'm a pre-k teacher and I bought this book as part of a unit we're doing on Ezra Jack Keats. It has all the Peter stories, plus a copy of the picture of the child who inspired Peter. One thing to know is that each story's layout is very different than the original picture books. There are missing illustrations (including some of my favorites) though all of the text is there. That fact really reduces this collection's value in my opinion, especially because Keats was such a thoughtful illustrator and each picture matches with the text to evoke a much stronger meaning than words or picture alone. It's still a great book though and nice to have in the classroom or at home. If you had to choose between owning each of the originals and this collection though, go with the originals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood Favorites, March 12, 2003
This book contains 10 of Ezra Jack Keats's wonderful stories. This is not cheap. (But worth every dime!) You just can't go wrong with this collection. It is a fine example of Keats's marvelous craft.
One of the things I like about this book (and Keats's books generally) is that it portrays urban settings. As a little girl growing up in a rural Midwestern town, I honestly never noticed that the main character in Snowy Day was African-American, even though none of the kids I went to school with were. That fact was unimportant to me as a child, but I can see the value of it as an adult. Exposing our children to many cultures and races can only improve the way the next generation sees the world. From the bio at the end of the book: "Childhood, in his mind, was a colorblind experience."
Keats wrote over a hundred books. It must have been hard to pick just 10 for this collection. I think you'll love the ones that were chosen, if you don't already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keats's Neighborhood, May 14, 2007
Wonderful collection of Ezra Jack Keats's stories! His stories and illustrations are some of the best of our times for young children! The colors are amazing and the characters are timeless.My children and now my grandchildren are enjoying his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Collection of Keat's Children's Stories, January 9, 2007
Ezra Jack Keats writes great stories for children. I read them to my children 35 years ago and read them to my grandchildren today. His books are fun to read and the pictures are a feast for the eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book - My son loves the stories and illustrations, February 10, 2013
I recently discovered this author - and I love his work. The stories delight my 5 year old. He appears to really like the illustrations. I got more than I bargained for with this book - it has so many stories in it - I had no idea I was getting a treasure of Keats stories.
I recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book!, October 21, 2010
Jean Marrapodi "Jean Marrapodi" (Providence, RI United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
When I taught first grade in the suburbs where I had a student tell me, "I saw a black person once!" (it was 25 years ago) I shared these stories with them and it opened up a whole new world to them. I would read a set of these stories, and they would beg for more. Keats is a master storyteller and artist. The pictures are colorful and fun to figure out the collage technique he used. His style is also very distinctive, and children can pick it out when shown a collection of pictures including one of his.

I am currently working now with a man in his 40s who is learning how to read, and he remembered Goggles being read to him when he was a little boy. He is enjoying reading these stories because they connect with him in the life he led in the inner city, and faced the same issues Peter did with the bullying older boys.

I especially love this book because it is a compilation of ten of the stories, and it traces Peter growing up through his adventures. We are reading Ezra Jack Keats: A Biography With Illustrations along with this book, and it is incredible how much of Keats' personal life is embedded in his stories. His brother Willie became the dog's name. His mother Gussie is the puppet that Louie finds. There are excerpts in between the stories from artists who worked with Keats or knew him or were influenced by him, which further expands understanding about the author/artist.

Should I ever return to the primary grades, I know for sure this book will have a key spot on my bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic!, August 7, 2014
mbm "fairburnlass" (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
An outstanding collection of ten books written and illustrated by
Keats. The color translation is excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Purchased at Borders for $5.99, March 10, 2008
I purchased this book at Borders for only $5.99. I have only browsed through the book. I'm pleased to see that the book includes several pages of background information on the author and pages of stories from others about their encounters with Keats.

I noticed that one reviwer was dissapointed with the fact has several pictures on one page. According to the cover the book includes 10 complete stories and at $5.99 I am ok with several pictures on one page...

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a wonderful book and the other teachers at my early learning ..., November 26, 2014
I am a pre-kinder teacher. I tried to find my copy of "A Snowy Day" and couldn't find it so I ordered this book - sort of as an impulse buy being frustrated I couldn't find my copy from my Mom. This book is a wonderful book and the other teachers at my early learning center want to borrow it. I've also shown it to parents and they like this book too. I like the "notes" from other authors.

Keats's Neighborhood: An Ezra Jack Keats Treasury
Keats's Neighborhood: An Ezra Jack Keats Treasury by Ezra Jack Keats (Hardcover - October 28, 2002)
$27.00 $19.57