Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Keb' Mo'
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 135 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon April 7, 2004
There's something about acoustic blues, the idea of playing on a street corner deep in the Delta, running a bottle over a National Steel. Keb' Mo' is one of the best acoustic blues players today. Sometimes it's just him and his guitar, other times he's backed by drums and keyboards. Moore's playing is full and you rarely notice that there is no one else playing but him. His solo guitar work brings visions of Robert Johnson, and he pays tribute to the Master with two of his cuts. The rest of the tracks are penned by Moore with some collaboration from others.
Every tune on this album is good. Moore's playing adjusts between strumming, fingerpicking and slide. He also adds in banjo and harmonica, but his great asset is his voice. Smooth and sweat, it lacks the gravel sound we've become accustomed to for the blues, but his voice is perfect for solo guitar, almost as if it matches the sound of the guitar. "Victims of Comfort" is my favorite off the album with his strumming and voice interaction. The song is just him and his guitar, almost slow and sad sounding. "Angelina" throws in drums to keep the beat and Moore's fingers pluck the strings with an upbeat tempo. "Come On In My Kitchen" is the first of the Johnson covers, and he plays with a slide, and belts out some on the harmonica, with a little help from an organ and drums. Another great cut. More of the straight blues shuffle is heard on "Love Blues" again a solo guitar bit.
Each track is good on this album, and proves that Keb' Mo' is a name to be recognized with his unique sound of yesterday. Anyone who likes the original blues players like Johnson, will love this album, as will many people who don't love the blues. Moore's voice is soothing, and his playing has a relaxed feel to it. A pure joy to listen to.
on December 5, 2000
This is a very enjoyable disc. I learned of Keb Mo' from the "Austin City Limits: Big Blues Extravaganza" CD. He plays "Tell Everybody I Know" on that compilation. I liked it so much I bought this CD. His folky, blues sound is very refreshing to the typical blues that I have heard. The music on this CD runs from the light and fun of "Tell Everybody I Know", to the serious "Victims of Comfort", to the lonely "Anybody Seen My Girl". Even when he does a traditional blues tune("Am I Wrong"), it's got a brightness to it that you don't see in other blues music. The sound quality is superb, and the music is even better.
Enjoy!
on April 27, 2000
Most Blues fans know that the genre is often just a rehashing of old favorites, old ways of playing, and a traditional approach via cliche to the lyrics. This album is decidedly upbeat for a a blues album and many would say it isn't a blues album at all, but a potpurri of blues, country, and rock. All I know is that every song on this album can put a smile on your face either through the music or the lyrics (although most likely both). This is destined to be a classic if it hasn't already become one. Winner of the W.C. Handy Award for country/acoustic blues album of the year. Highlights on this album full of gems are "Tell Everybody I Know", "Come On In My Kitchen", "Dirty Low Down And Bad", and "Every Morning". For any Blues, check that, for any Music fan out there who hasn't purchased this album yet what are you waiting for? Go Buy It Now!
Keb' Mo' is simply one of the best "new" artists to come along in years. He kicked around the studios for awhile before making this recording. Close your eyes and it sounds as if this young man is already in his sixties, both by the quality of his voice and the experience of his playing. "Am I Wrong?" is one of the best blues tunes I've ever heard! You won't regret buying this CD!
on September 1, 2001
I have been a fan of the Blues, Swing, Jazz, Rock and Folk music for many years. In my life I have only heard one artist as versatile as Keb' Mo' and that was Van Morrison. I bought this CD based on one track (Love Blues) that I heard on an internet radio station. This CD delivered so much more than I expected. And what I expected was pretty high. He's all over the place and he's excellent at whatever musical genre he puts his hand to. Forget the Robert Johnson comparisons. Robert Johnson was great but the comparison is unfair in that it limits the view of this artist's versatility. He does so much more.
On a negative note, I am going to watch my nickles and dimes for the next few months to make sure I can acquire every scrap of his music that's available. I am green with envy after reading the review by the person who saw him in concert with Bonnie Raitt and John Lee Hooker.
on November 5, 2004
I'd been meaning to pick this CD up for quite a few years but never really got the chance so I was happy to receive it as a recent birthday gift. I gotta tell you, I'm sorry I waited so long. Keb' Mo' has such a wonderful voice and has a fluidity about his playing that makes me feel like I'm sitting next to him on the stage in some old roadside bar round 2 am with just the true die-hards left to enjoy this stark and soulful music.

When the last four cuts of the album come on I find myself singing along with Keb' and I don't care who sees me in my truck. Damn good album.
on May 12, 2002
KEB'MO is a country/acoustic blues album that deserves a listening to. After listening to SLOW DOWN, I went out and purchased his other albums and I can say that I havent been disappointed at all. This album with its simple formula a voice and his guitar, have created an album that deserves all the awards that it has received. EVERY MORNING, TELL EVERYBODY I KNOW, LOVE BLUES, VICTIMS OF COMFORT, ANGELINA, ANYBODY SEEN MY GIRL are among this great collection of songs that capture the listener's attention and help to keep it. There are also songs here that will get the listener dancin, such as SHE JUST WANTS TO DANCE. This album is a must for any serious music fan.
on September 19, 2001
I discovered Keb Mo several years ago at a live show...I am not a huge blues fan, but absolutely adore this CD. I am actually buying my fourth copy tonight. At the risk of ticking off the true blues fans who also love this CD, I would call this album "light blues", or maybe even "happy blues"!?! Sounds crazy, but the music has a certain snap to it that really energizes. It is deeply soulful music without the weight. I have his other albums, and believe this album is ESSENTIAL. It is Keb Mo unprocessed. (His later albums seem to be a sort of Keb Mo Velveeta...cryin' shame because I think this guy is the real deal.)
on April 7, 2002
I can't say enough good things about this CD and the Blues of Kelvin Moore (Keb Mo). He carries all the dust of the road of a delta bluesman and sounds like a page out of time or rather carries a timeless sound marching the blues troubadour into the next century. Keb Mo is low down dirty good!
If you can stop tapping your feet enough to contemplate Keb's acoustic gymnastics and his lithe but lethal touch on the fret board, the depth of his musical prowess is arresting (listen to "Am I Wrong"). His guitar work is pretty incomparable.
Serious blues done by serious bluesmen usually just reach out to the serious blues fan. This CD will reach out to the populace reflecting the sentiment of people of a variety of taste. Some of it is light and could play in coffee house folk. Some of it's a bit deeper and reaches out to the smoky bar set in the basements and tenements of blues. Mo's voice holds its own with the best of blues voices carrying just the right amount of clarity, regional dialect, and gruffness. Robert Johnson make room at the crossroads...Keb Mo has arrived and he's got talent in spades. I've gotta get away from this keyboard and dance with abandon around the room as Mo's "She Just Wants to Dance" bounces in my ears and reaches a blue note within the soul.
on March 7, 2001
Keb Mo (isn't that a much more memorable name than his given one of Kevin Moore?) is a great talent whose music defies categorization. While he is usually placed with Blues artists, his music draws on many genres, including blues, folk, jazz and pop. His sound is somewhat reminiscent of Taj Majal, but it is unfair to compare him like that, for his talent is too great to call him a copy of someone else.
I try to play his music frequently on my radio show, for he crosses many different lines and has appeal to a vast audience. It is a shame he has not become more widely known.
I strongly recommend this album!