5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what we were looking for
I spent days reading reviews and trying to find a basic wood high chair, ideally one that could adjust and grow with our daughter. I finally settled on the Keekaroo, despite some concerns that I read in some of the negative reviews. So far, most of the negative comments that I read seem completely unwarranted so I just wanted to address those specifically:...
Published 23 months ago by Lance

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it!
I'm so sad this chair didn't work out. I hope the product designers at Keekaroo read this review and make some changes. o

THE GOOD
Once you put the chair together, you'll think to yourself, wow this is a nice sturdy chair, lovely color/ overall aesthetic and the infant seat is super comfy. All this is true.

HOWEVER

Once you put an...
Published on May 25, 2012 by JDavis

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it!, May 25, 2012
JDavis (San Francisco) - See all my reviews

THE GOOD

HOWEVER

Once you put an actual child in the chair, you'll wonder if Keekaroo tested this product with real babies/ toddlers and their parents. Here is what I mean:

PROBLEMS WITH THE TRAY
1) Size. The tray is about half the size of other trays on the market. Sure this is OK to look at. But imagine for a moment that your dinner plate was not 10" but 5", and you had to eat with it pushed up against your chest. This is what it is like for your toddler to dine in the Keekaroo.

In my baby's old chair (Chico 360) I could place a small bowl of blueberries, a small plate of cheese and his sippy cup in a special circle indent. On the Keekaroo, because he has no room, he accidentally knocks over the bowls, plates and without that circle indent, his cup goes flying to the ground, and it all ends up in tears. So now I have abandoned giving him anything other than food directly on the tray, yet the tray is so small that he gets his forearms and elbows covered in food.

2) This is the only tray I have seen that requires TWO ADULT HANDS to remove. So you are probably thinking, if you need two hands to remove the tray, and a few seconds to put the tray down somewhere, is the baby safe? The answer is NO.

The infant insert seat is attached by a flimsy piece of velcro. This is nice for easy cleaning, but when I take off the tray with both hands, and my 13 month old starts to wriggle to get down, the seat pops off with no resistance and he falls. The 3 point harness, as other Amazon reviewers have mentioned, is flimsy. It snaps together low on my baby's hips, and does not stop him from falling when the infant insert seat detaches. This is extremely DANGEROUS.

PROBLEMS WITH THE FOOTREST
I was so glad that there was a footrest so my baby's legs wouldn't dangle. However, this is a big heavy wooden tray that barely fits into the loose slots. It's very wobbly so when my baby rests his feet on it, the entire thing comes crashing down. Now as I am the one sitting close to my baby to feed him, on more than one occasion it crashed on my feet, leaving my toes bruised. I have another baby on the way and I could just picture this crashing on him. We have since removed the footrest as it is dangerous.

SUGGESTIONS FOR KEEKAROO

Here is what needs to happen to make this lovely chair both functional and safe:

1) Infant insert seat needs to properly attach. An inch of velcro is not good enough.
2) The 3 point harness needs to be replaced with a 5 point harness.
3) Tray size needs to double, with a special circle indent for bottles and cups. Heck, sell me an "XL Deluxe Tray" as an accessory for another $80. I'll buy it!
4) Tray needs to detach with one hand (examine at all those plastic high chairs at Babies R Us. Yes they are hideous to look at, but you'll notice their trays all detach in the middle, leaving the adult with one hand free to keep on the baby).
5) Foot rest needs to be secured by a screw or some other mechanism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what we were looking for, January 4, 2013

Loose Boards (seat or footrest):
I don't know if Keekaroo has made changes in their Height Right chair over the last few years, but after setting our chair up there's no possible way the footrest or seat boards could ever come loose or fall out. Yes, its true that they don't have any screws or bolts directly into them. Instead, they are squeezed tight by the frame, but are very secure. The black bar you see in the description photo (there are two bars total) actually squeezes the frame even tighter which allows you to really clamp it down on the footrest and seat boards. Unless you fail to tighten it down or neglect to use the metal bars, nothing is budging on this thing!

The Tray:
Some people said the tray is cumbersome and requires full use of two hands to remove. I found that the tray slides in and out quite easily. There are latches on each side that you need to squeeze to take it off, but I simply unlatched one side at a time and was easily able to pull the tray off one-handed.

Your Childs Stability:
We bought this chair for our six-month old and made sure to get the one with the infant seat. In my opinion, if your child is 1 year old or younger, you need the infant seat. It really helps our daughter sit up straight, she doesn't slide or move around at all and she loves it! Without the infant seat a young, smaller child would easily slide around and likely be very uncomfortable. Also, the infant seat is secured in three ways. It gets strapped to the metal bar beneath the seat board. The back of it fits snugly underneath the backrest. The bottom is secured to the seat boat with velcro. This is extremely stable.

Adjustments:
To adjust the chair as your child grows, you just have to loosen (not disassemble) the screws on one side to slide the boards up and place higher or lower, then you just tighten it back down. Very quick and simple.

Additional Comments:
Depending on how active your child is, it would be a good idea to put a folded blanket or cushion behind them. While our daughter's head sits just above the backrest, she leaned back really fast and it made us nervous that she would hurt the back of her neck.

Like you, I really rely on reviews for most of my purchases and unfortunately I feel like some of the negative reviews on this chair seem to be the result of user error or false expectations (it's not a big disposable piece of plastic). My wife and I are very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had one of these for my first child, February 15, 2011
Recently I bought 2 of these chairs, one for my 6 month old son and one for my 3 year old daughter and I love them. I wish I had bought my daughter one when she was younger. Putting the chair together wasn't easy but it wasn't bad either. It is study and seems to be well made. it looks nice in my dining room and most importantly, it works well for my son. With the infant insert, the clips on the seat and the tray, my son in nice and secure. I would definately recommend the infant insert though. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in there without it. he seems to be comfortable although if he starts throwing a fit it is possible for him to hit his head on the wooded back. I think he has done it once in the last 2 weeks.

One of the features I like best is that you can adjust the seat height relative to the tray, which I have not seen on any of the 5 high chairs we have owned over the last 3 years. This would have been nice for my daughter since she is really short and I always felt like the tray was at chin height. It is nice for my son because he is huge and the chairs we have that worked for my daughter squeeze his little cute fat legs. It is also nice to know that this chair will fit him as he grows (my 3 year old loves hers and can now sit comfortably at the table without having to sit on her knees).

A couple of the reviews I read mentioned that they wished it came with a plastic tray. Mine did, so apparently the company has improved that component. The tray snaps over the wooden part. Overall I am very happy with this chair and am relieved to finally have found one that works.

Update: It has now been 1 1/2 years since I bought the chairs. My kids are 2 and 5. Both still like the chairs and still sit in them. They still look good and are in good shape. I also really like that the food wipes off of them really easily, even if it has dried on and been sitting for a while.

3.0 out of 5 stars Keekaroo vs Tripp Trapp, October 20, 2013
This review is from: Keekaroo Height Right Highchair with Insert & Tray - Mahogany - Chocolate (Baby Product)
I'm writing this review as this is what I really wanted to know when debating whether to purchase this chair - how it compares to the Tripp Trapp from someone who has used both. Here's my take after using both for a year. We had a Tripp Trapp for our older daughter from infancy and liked it. She was still using it when we had twins, and I really was having trouble justifying the expense of buying two Tripp Trapps with baby sets and trays which was going to be nearly $800 when all was said and done, so I was looking for a cheaper option. There were also a few things that I wasn't crazy about on the Tripp Trapp and wondered if spending the extra was worth it. I bought two Keekaroos with the infant inserts, and here is my take on how the two compare.

1) Construction. The Keekaroo is nicely made, but really is inferior in quality to the Tripp Trapp. The wood is much softer on the Keekaroo, it scratches and dents easily. On closer inspection of the seat and footrest on the Keekaroo, I don't believe these pieces are solid wood. They seem to be laminate layered, like plywood, not a solid piece with a woodgrain. The Tripp Trapp has no scratches after 4 years of constant use, and the Keekaroo had big places where the varnish is chipped or gone after just weeks. The parts of the seat and the foot rest and sides of the tray especially, as the varnish wore off there very quickly. The bolts also seem to loosen much more easily on the Keekaroo than the Tripp Trapp. There is no doubt that the walnut finish and wood on the Tripp Trapp looks much more high end and is good quality furniture; the wood is hard and solid, there is a clear and pretty wood grain visable, and it is finished beautifully and durably. In contrast, the tray portion of the Keekaroo (underneath the plastic tray) is made of particle board or some sort of particle board.

2) Tray issue: I love that the Keekaroo comes with a tray, which the Tripp Trapp does not. Though we always have the kids at the table with us, it is nice to have the tray when they're little, and not have them smear their food all over the wood table. The Stokke Table Top is really overpriced and also does not stick well to wood tables. The plastic take-off top on the Keekaroo is nice to remove and put in the sink. Good feature. The Keekaroo tray is not removable with one hand. I like that the tray keeps them more contained. One of mine is a little houdini and it helps with the escape attempts. The Keekaroo tray is small and compact, which has plusses. Others have complained about the size of the tray. I actually like the size, but the lip around it is not very high, and one of our twins always swishes her arms about and flings all the food off the sides. The Tripp Trapp does not come with a tray, which I don't like. Stokke doesn't make one out of principle, (they only offer the Stokke Table Top, which I think is pretty worthless) but you can purchase after market trays specifically designed to fit the Tripp Trapp which are good. I have the Play Tray for the Tripp Trapp, which is great (but costs $70). It is a nice sturdy tray, and is great also for art projects, play doh, etc for older kids. The lip on that tray is much deeper and the tray is much larger, which has some advantages. It does take up more room, is heavier, and is harder to fit in the sink (especially if you have a double sink) or drying on the counter. The larger size and deeper lip on the Play Tray does help the sweeping food off issue, though. There's a little less disaster on the floor with that tray vs the Keekaroo. The clear version of the Play Tray can get stained over time with food colors, although I suspect the Keekaroo white one can too, although it shows less than the clear. I wish Stokke would stop their anti-tray policy and at least make it as an option. People want trays, they're useful.

3) Chair Design. The Tripp Trapp wins here hands down. The Keekaroo is a nice looking chair, but there are some things that make it impractical, things that I didn't realize until owning it. The three holes in the back of the seat are cute, but one of our twins always puts his arm through them and gets stuck. The legs also jut out in the back causing it to take up much more room and I frequently trip over them when walking around the table. The Tripp Trapp (though I don't love the aesthetic look of the z shape) is much more practical, and in the end looks fine. It fits under the table better and you don't trip over it. It's much more compact. The back rails on the Tripp Trapp are easier to clean and there is less surface to get food smeared on it.

4) The infant insert vs Tripp Trapp baby set: This only comes with the Keekaroo, and is a nice feature for young babies. You really can sit them in it nicely even when they aren't sitting up very steadily. It holds them a little like a Bumbo (though not quite as secure). I used it from when they were 5 or 6 months and it worked well to keep them in and steady. Things I don't like: It is TERRIBLE to clean. All the food goes down in the little holes in the infant inserts where the straps pull through. The straps also fall down in the little holes and are difficult to pull out. I did have moderate success fixing this with a big safety pin, but it still slipped down). When they start eating finger foods we'd end up with pieces of pancake, green beans, everything it seemed, jammed down in the holes for the straps, and I hated it. They really need to make it a solid piece and figure out some other way for straps to attach another way. I eventually gave up and used it without the infant insert, flipping the seat over so they weren't sitting on the velcro and reversing the straps. One of my twins is tiny and could always crawl out even with the straps without the infant insert, and sometimes with it. I tried to order a new seat piece (the model that doesn't have the infant insert) but the manufacturer (though helpful) will not sell that, citing safety reasons. (I don't why it would be unsafe to switch out the seat to the different style....It is my understanding that the chairs are otherwise the same.) So once you buy the model with the infant insert, you can't switch to the other, FYI. The infant insert is big, though. Even my three year old could sit in the chair with it (although I wouldn't use it that way, but just for size comparison) I really feel that the straps aren't adequate with the infant insert, though. They sit very low and don't hold the baby adequately in my opinion. I saw one photo where someone put the straps through those little holes in the back of the seat. This isn't in the manufacturer's photo, but that seems like a good idea, if they will extend long enough. I also feel that velcro is also not a sturdy enough way to attach the infant insert. Also, you need to reverse the seat and straps if you want to use it without the insert, to avoid the baby sitting on velcro. wasn't completely happy with the baby set from Tripp Trapp either, although it's not bad. It was a little difficult to assemble, and the babies need to be sitting up more steadily. All in all, it's ok though. Not diifficult to clean. Chubby bigger babies may have a harder time getting into it as they get a little older. My biggest complaint was it's cost, which seems excessive for what it is.

5) Straps: The Keekaroo straps are ok but not great. They don't go up very high or around their waists as they're only attached from the bottom of the seat, so I found they didn't contain the kids extremely well, especially if you have a skinny little one who likes to climb. It was only a problem for one of my twins. The Tripp Trapp straps (5 point harness) are better, could be improved too, although they have improved them in the later models vs the older one. The Keekaroo straps are easy to remove and wash. The Tripp Trapps you have to unscrew and uninstall in order to wash. The way the straps click and attach is better on the Tripp Trapp. You can use the Tripp Trapp straps without the five point harness, which is a bit difficult to fit, and gets dirty. They do get tangled. I usually just fasten the bottom part.

6) Cleaning: The Tripp Trapp wins hands down. The Keekaroo is a pain to clean. With two babies eating three meals a day, we clean a lot. For some reason the finish doesn't wipe clean as well (softer wood and low quality varnish?) and the nooks and crannies are definitely much worse to clean. The Tripp Trapp is very easy to clean. As I mentioned earlier, the infant insert is a bear to keep clean, and so much so that I hated to use it.

So - what would I do if I had to buy again? I actually ended up selling my Keekaroo's on Craig's list and buying two more Tripp Trapps I found on sale and two play trays (no baby set as my twins are a little older now and don't need it) - mainly because the cleaning and infant insert was becoming such a problem. The tripping issue was a pain, but I eventually learned to walk farther around it:) But, then again, my issues are compounded as I have twins, and a older one. If you only have one child and aren't cleaning in triplicate, then it might not bother you so much. I have friends with one baby and the Keekaroo who aren't bothered by the cleaning and like it just fine. For me, it just became a deal breaker. Would I buy the Keekaroo again? I'm not sure. I still think that in its price bracket it's a good chair choice for something wood, table height, one that fits from 6 months to adult, and is affordable. Will the Keekaroo look good after 5 years? I doubt it. My Tripp Trapp that is 4 years old still looks great, and I anticipate it will down the road too. Both are great to use as adjustable booster chairs which I love. Would I buy the model with the infant insert again? No. I haven't tried the other one, but what I would do is buy the regular one, and skip the insert. Or if I thought it would be helpful to try,, I'd buy that separately instead, so I'd have options. If you buy the model with the infant insert together (though it's cheaper) you can't later get the regular one with the passive crotch restraint without buying a new chair, which I think is better for older babies, and easier to clean. There are many who can't or don't want to spend the amount of money a Tripp Trapp costs, and the Keekaroo is still a good option. (Although the Keekaroo price is not as cheap as it was. When I bought my chairs, they were selling for $199 with the infant insert - now they're $239, making the difference between the two brands not as large. The Tripp Trapp has not risen in price.) I hope Keekaroo reads these reviews, because the chair is a good start. With a little improvement in design and quality it could be great competition for the Tripp Trapp. If deciding between the two chairs as they are now, and making the decision based on the product and not the pricepoint, I'd choose the Tripp Trapp.

I hope this helps those who are debating!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, but Beware of Press Board/Laminate Tray!, February 2, 2012
It was between this high chair and the Stokke Tripp Trapp for me. We ended up ordering this high chair in Natural with the Cherry Infant Insert due to the price difference. This was about the half the price of the Tripp Trapp. We received the high chair and my husband assembled it. He said it was a pain, but what furniture isn't. Overall, easy to put together and done by him alone (baby supervised, of course) in about 45 minutes. I am pleased with the quality of the chair. I do wish it had the 5 point harness system, but we will make do.

I had called Keekaroo with an issue (was actually a shipping fault of Amazon's), and Keekaroo was going to fix it, which I was impressed by. I think if we have any issues in the future Keekaroo will be fantastic at helping us out.

My biggest gripe is the tray. It's a pressboard/Laminate type of deal!!! I ordered this high chair because I was looking for a solid wood, water or plant based finish that is nontoxic. I HIGHLY doubt that the tray (even though it comes with a BPA free cover) is low in chemicals. Yuck. And that's the one place my son will eat off of. Keekaroo, take note....this needs a solid wood tray!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Chair..., May 2, 2011
I am pleasantly surprised by this high chair. My little munchkin loves sitting in it and loves being part of what's happening at the table. I only had it for 4 days but here are my observations so far

Pros:
-Very easy to put together
-Sturdy
-Good quality
-Plastic tray cover
-Tray snaps easily into place
-Tray adjust 2 different ways - one for smaller babies and one for toddlers
-Comfortable infant insert - seems baby is secure in it
-Looks very nice and fits in everywhere unlike the plastic high chairs around

Cons:
-Even though my daughter seems secure in the infant insert and I like it I wish the seat had a 5 point harness instead which would make me feel even better about this chair.
-Wood seems "soft". I accidentally banged the tray against the side of the seat and it left a little dent - no biggie but I thought I'd mention it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic chair, fair price, February 21, 2011
Great high chair. We own two for our twin girls. I really like the infant insert and tray. It is also nice to be able to remove the tray and place the grab rail so the kids an pull up to the table. The adjustable foot support is important... how would you like to sit in a chair with your leg's dangling? You probably wouldn't last long! It is more expensive that your standard high chair but your child should get many years of use with proper adjustment. It was also very easy to assemble. The only other comparable product available does not have a tray as an option and it costs much more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Impractical Chair, November 6, 2012
I, like many out there with the negative reviews, really wanted to like this chair. It's just not that practical for use with a baby or toddler. We've been using for the last ten months (6m - 14m). I kinda got sold on its looks and the fact that it's made out of wood. I really don't have experience with any other type of high chair (other than restaurant style ones) - I just know that this one leaves much to be desired.

What I don't like:
1. Tray requires two hands to remove - you have to release the clamps on each side of the tray simultaneously and then slide the tray off completely to get the child out. With a lot of struggling, you can release one side at a time and wiggle that side loose and repeat on the other side if you only have one hand but it's a major pain. It's a big enough pain that when we're not using the high chair, we don't store the tray on the high chair. It's usually hanging out on the dining table or propped up against the wall.
2. The 3 point restraint system seems like it wouldn't be effective. The anchor points all originate from the seat plate (and are threaded through the seat cushion) and it really looks like two straps that restrain the upper thighs. Granted, our child has not gotten out or even tried to get out, but it is a worry. Basically, I never have him in the chair unless I have the tray snuggled right up next to him so he won't be tempted to climb out. Hopefully, that lasts for a while.
3. The finish is chipped or worn in certain places (I have the mahogany finish) - especially on the tray. In fact, on the arms of the tray, there are clear stickers that you aren't supposed to remove to minimize ruining the finish as you insert and remove the tray. My stickers are still on but I still have finish that's chipped off along the flat surface of the tray as well as the non stickered parts of the tray arms.
4. I wouldn't recommend using this with an infant <1y without the back cushion (that you get with the comfort cushion set) because the infant insert is awfully roomy for a small baby and the chair back is hard. You can use the back cushion with the infant insert.
5. I've had to re-tighten the screws a couple times in the past 10 months when i noticed the chair was wiggling a bit. I don't think it's from not tightening them tightly enough the first time around as it seemed to loosen up over time (maybe from moving it around from room to room?). Regardless, it's not comforting to have to worry about whether or not it's sturdy.
6. I wish the infant insert was secured to the high chair in some way other than being velcroed to the seat platform. Not to mention, the infant insert has 3 big holes in it (for the straps to go through) so food falls down the holes constantly and eventually makes its way to the velcro, rendering it less sticky.
7. Although the tray almost looks like it could be reversible, it can only be inserted one way and have it lock (my nanny was using it for several days upside-down before she realized it - she'd just thought the locking mechanism had broken).
8. I didn't realize as a first time parent how convenient it would be to have a more mobile high chair - especially one with wheels. This one is on the heavy side. I can still lift and move from one room to another with one arm while holding baby, it's just not something I like to do often.

What I do like:
1. Infant insert is super comfy. For as many complaints as I have about it, he does seem to be very comfortable in this chair.
2. The insert itself is very easy to clean by wiping down with a wet washcloth. (Food falling through the holes is a different matter.)
3. Removable plastic tray is very convenient to clean and seems to be holding up well.
4. I like the way it looks (mahogany + lime).

Overall, it's not something I'd recommend or buy again, but it's not so horrid that I'm planning to get rid of it either.

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems!, January 11, 2013
J. Sanderford (Montrose, CO USA) - See all my reviews
Please ignore the review that mentions foot plate dropping out or the one mentioning infant insert not being secure and only attached by velcro. Obviously directions were not followed. If all screws are sufficiently tightened in the order directed, the footplate is not only secure, but very difficult to move at all! In addition, infant insert is locked in place if inserted correctly as the back of infant insert is BEHIND the wooden backrest. It's not going anywhere. Someone just didn't follow directions!

Love this highchair for my 6 month old twins. Plan to use it as booster at the table for years as well. Easy to clean and a vast improvement over my evenflo and graco plastic monstrosities!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not solid wood - plywood pieces, March 6, 2012
The main selling point for me was that I (mistakenly) thought this "wood" chair was a solid wood product. Turns out the back, seat, and footrest are all plywood. The customer service is very responsive. They assured me formaldehyde is not used in the production of the chair (I'm not entirely sure I believe that). The chair is very heavy (as non-solid wood products are), and not easy to move from one room to another (for example, it would be nice to move it to the kitchen so baby can watch me cook, but it's really too heavy to move more than a few feet with baby in one arm.) While difficult to move, it is sturdy. The infant insert is wonderful. It looks very comfortable and my 25 lb 7 month old's chubby thighs fit in it nicely, although I had to move the seat plate to the 4th slot (3rd is recommended, but moving it down doesn't seem to affect the fit or safety of the insert - baby wouldn't fit otherwise). Also, there is plenty of room for baby's tummy. Also, it is not obvious on the product description, but the infant insert MUST be included for safety reasons for children younger than 3 years old (in case you were considering the chair without the insert). The tray and insert are very nice features. Overall, we are keeping it, but are disappointed that it is not solid wood. I had wanted to avoid the chemicals used in the manufacture of plywood, but at least it didn't have any obvious off-gassing smells when it was taken out of the box. Lesson learned: unless something specifically says "solid wood", it's probably not.