4.0 out of 5 stars awesome shoe, runs small

3.0 out of 5 stars The price to value ratio isn't there
Published 7 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome shoe, runs small, December 1, 2011
This review is from: KEEN Men's Kanyon Sandal (Apparel)
These are great sandals. Very comfortable, and well made. Because the webbing attaches to the INSIDE of the sole edge (about 1/4" in on both sides), instead of at the edges (like the Newport), the shoe is functionaly smaller, particularly in front volume (the part your foot goes in). Therefore, I needed a half size larger. I am always a mens 7, and sometimes even in some brands a 7 is too large. I've never in my life worn a bigger size. But, after getting these in 7, they just where too small, particularly around the front of the foot...the length of was OK. I returned for a 7.5, and couldn't be happier. I was worried to get the right volume, a larger size would be too long, but I haven't found that to be the case.

What attracted me to these, compared to the Newports, was the lighter weight and lower heal. The Newports feel more like hiking shoes...heavier and a bigger (higher) heal. I wanted them to fit and feel more like sandals. So, depending on which way you want them to feel, you may prefer the Newport. I have found them very comfortable. I also looked at the north face bullfrogs, and this design is much better....only reason not to give them a 5 star, is the sizing...once you find the right size, the shoe is 5 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite shoe, August 26, 2012
This review is from: KEEN Men's Kanyon Sandal (Shoes)
I wear my Keens to work, for playing golf, literally everywhere in the summer outside and year 'round in the house. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.
Bought them initially to hike the walls of the Grand Canyon on a rafting trip and they served me so well that I have seldom had them off since except when I have to wear a more dressy shoe.
Going down the Colorado they were comfortable, they offer excellent traction, allowed me to climb rocks safely, and they dried out in no time at all.

We live in a lake area and I routinely walk through the creek, into the lake, anywhere in these shoes. They are virtually amphibious and they dry so quickly that they can be worn soon after getting them wet.
The synthetic webbing is strong, the soles are very beefy and strong, and it is easy to slip in and out of them.
Guess I would give them 10 stars if I could.

I had not problem with sizing as others have mentioned but perhaps that has changed.
I am looking to buy another pair before they move on to another design because I like them so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best sandals I've owned, August 16, 2011
This review is from: KEEN Men's Kanyon Sandal (Shoes)
I've now owned a pair of these for a little over three months and I couldn't be happier. They have been through miles of hiking and kayaking and they still look almost new. Here's a list of my favorite aspects:

-Very durable: I've hiked over some pretty rough terrain like rivers and rocky trails.

-They haven't rubbed any blisters on my feet. A miracle!

-Dries quickly.

-The soles have excellent grip on rock or dirt but I'm not sure how they would perform on hard tiled floor (could be slick). I'll have to test that out sometime.

-The rubber toe protection is wonderful! You don't have to worry about the front getting caught on tree branches, rocks, etc.

-Easily cleaned: Do you have mud, dirt, and debris all over them? Bust out the water hose or run them under the sink.

-Very comfortable and they slip on and off easily (the bungie cord tightens it around your foot). I even wear these to work all day.

I have nothing negative to say about these. Five stars for the best sandals I've owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and Durable, July 13, 2011
This review is from: KEEN Men's Kanyon Sandal (Apparel)
These Keen sandals are great! They are comfortable and best of all, durable. I wore one pair for four years, got in and out of the water daily with them and they never let me down. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for sandals that protect your toes, are cool to wear and that can get wet constantly without wearing them down and looking bad. I have several colors of these sandals and I get compliments on them all the time. My wife wears the same style and brand and she loves them, too. If you are outdoors a lot and in and out of the water, you'll find none better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased, July 31, 2013
This review is from: KEEN Men's Kanyon Sandal (Shoes)
Never had a pair of Keens before and have never tried them on in a store, so I took a chance buying them online. I am not disappointed.
These are easy on/off, comfortable, seem true to size - not floppy, not tight...snug.
If you like your sandals a little looser or have fat feet, you might wanna go a half/size up.

Sole seems quite durable and I'm sure these will last me many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, April 16, 2012
Josselyn (Lansdowne, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KEEN Men's Kanyon Sandal (Apparel)
I have bought this type of shoe before, but not from keen. I am female with a low arch and borderline wide foot, and the women's styles sometimes don't fit. This fit perfectly, and it is pretty unisex, style-wise. I went one size down from my women's size, W11 to M10. I'm very happy with these, the estate blue is a beautiful color, a bit brighter then navy.
***Edit- I have had these for several monthes and still love them. If they were more feminine, I would wear them all the time. This week I took them to the Poconos, and was very happy with how they felt while creek walking. I felt stable and my feet didn't tire out like they have in the past. I will ALWAYS bring these with me for that, from now on, so mush better then other water shoes I have worn. Keep in mind though, from soaking wet to dry takes at least 24 hours, longer if you don't have sun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keen on Keens, June 30, 2013
This review is from: KEEN Men's Kanyon Sandal (Shoes)
These sandals were terrific on a recent trip to Europe. I wore them almost everywhere as we climbed up and over ancient sites. The sandals were comfortable from the moment I tried them on and all through the trip. They held up nicely, and I look forward to wearing them more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Talk about comfortable!!!!, July 17, 2014
This review is from: KEEN Men's Kanyon Sandal (Shoes)
If you are looking for comfort, this is the shoe. I did read the reviews prior to ordering and there were many reviews that stated these shoes ran about a half size small. I did ordered a 11.5 (as I wear a Men's 11). This was true, so i would recommend ordering a 1/2 size bigger. Keen has always made great lasting, durable and most of all COMFORTABLE shoes. I would recommend these 100 times over!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, comfortable sandal, July 17, 2013
This review is from: KEEN Men's Kanyon Sandal (Apparel)
I've been wearing Keen Newports for five or six years and decided to try something different and, if you can can Keens stylish, more stylish. I like the way they look even if I still can't tell which color is olive and which is brindle.

Where the Newport is heavy and built like a hiking shoe, the Kanyon definitely is not. They are much lighter than the leather Newport, and the foot bed is flatter with a lot less arch support. When I first put them on, I was concerned about the fit because of the flatter arch. But, they were very comfortable from the first wearing. They are lower overall and really feel more like a sandal than the other Keens I've worn.

3.0 out of 5 stars The price to value ratio isn't there, June 8, 2014
This review is from: KEEN Men's Kanyon Sandal (Shoes)
During the summer, outside of work, I essentially live in sandals. Previously, I've owned cheap dept store sandals and have had a couple pairs of Tevas. There was a definite leap between those so I thought I'd attempt another move up to the Keen's. I read a LOT of other reviews on these and saw a handful of issues with the size seeming too small. Other than that, most reviews were glowing. I have had a different experience.

I normally wear either a 10 or 10 1/2 in most shoes. I went with the 10 and they fit but they are almost too large. I had the opposite experience of most people. Odd.

Beyond sizing, there are other issues. First, the positive: I really like the style and the material. These are 'go anywhere' type sandals, which is very important. I don't want to have to worry about getting them wet or walking through mud. I want to be able to hike in them, go kayaking, cut the lawn, etc. These definitely fit the bill. Very functional and appear to be durable.

The negatives: Pricing is a bit of a negative. I really don't like to spend $80 on sandals but if they provide equivalent value, then I'm all for it. In this case, they fall short.

The sole is a minor negative as well. There doesn't seem to be much cushion between my foot and the ground. It has a feel closer to barefoot than previous sandals I have owned. I don't mind this too much but it's something to consider.

I struggled with the fit. I don't really like the pull cord at the top of the shoe that tightens it down. First off, when I've got them snug, there's about 3-4 inches of pull cord sticking out. That means, I've got to weave them under the 'laces' to keep it from flopping around. Not a big deal but it seems odd. I'm a bit anal retentive so it bothers me.

The fabric in the shoes is somewhat flexible -- both good and bad. When I first tightened my shoes, I over tightened them. They felt snug but the fabric starts to scrunch up in odd places and creates small folds. My left shoe was fine, the right shoe had the folds. That sounds nit-picky but the result of those small folds is not. I didn't feel it at first but after walking several miles, those little folds start to rub and create blisters and wear marks on the tops of my feet. When that happens, you feel it with every step. For whatever reason, I just couldn't make my right foot comfortable -- eventually, the rubbing got to me and I backed off on the tightness until the sandal on my right foot felt loose. It eliminated the rubbing but then the sandal felt loose and that bothered me.

Long story short, I sucked it up and continued to wear the sandals and play with the tightness. I had already put too much distance on them so I couldn't, in good conscience, attempt a return. They seem to have broken in now and feel better. Again, never had a problem with the left foot but the right foot was a constant battle. I'm still tweaking the snugness on a regular basis on the right sandal. The left one is comfortable. I've never had an issue localized to one foot with previous shoes/sandals so I don't think it's specific to my feet (e.g. one foot slightly bigger than the other). I suspect I just got a right shoe that is slightly off. Oh well.

It's not so bad that I can't wear them. I will continue to wear them and get my money's worth. Since they seem to have gotten better, I'm hoping that they will continue to break in. I guess I didn't really expect to have to break-in sandals. I've never had to in the past. With my next sandal purchase, I'll probably go back to the Teva's.

KEEN Men's Kanyon Sandal