5.0 out of 5 stars Endured an overseas travel!
Published on November 4, 2012 by MLS

3.0 out of 5 stars A good start for checkpoint friendly, but needs some work
I'm a 50k+ per year road warrior and always on the lookout for ways to smooth the TSA airport checkthrough. I got this bag to fit a new, larger laptop, and for short one or two night trips business trips.

The Keen Airport Way bag is solidly built, has some nice touches, but leaves some room for improvement.

Pro:

Solid construction, very...
Published on January 2, 2012 by Randolph W. Thornton

3.0 out of 5 stars A good start for checkpoint friendly, but needs some work, January 2, 2012

Pro:

Solid construction, very strong padding on the back and shoulder pads, it's more like a trail bag than a cheap book backpack; it can definitely carry the weight. It has a sternum strap made of elastic, which is adjustable, although unfortunately not removable. Has solid zippers of trail bag quality.

The laptop compartment is decently padded, but not as well as a Targus or Briggs & Riley is. It holds my 15 1/2" big laptop fine. It has the usual zip around zippers that split the bag in half, so it can go through the TSA scanner without having to take it out. I've done it this way since TSA starting allowing that, and it is a huge time saver. Opposite the laptop holding space is a thin compartment for some standard size paper folders.

The shoulder straps easily flip back to get out of the way when you need to unzip it down the middle and place it on the belt for scanning.

Aside from the laptop area, it has two main compartments. Nice touches are: a wide zipper mesh compartment with key fob; nice large padded holder for smartphone (big enough to slide it in still in a case); two velcroed pockets that just fit a wallet nicely; and in the bottom, a zippered compartment to hold your laptop power cords (nice touch!). The outer, smaller compartment has the usual pen slots, business card slots, iPod sized pocket, etc.

A very nice addition is a padded rubber "bumper" on the bottom of the bag, which reaches around a bit to the front. Very nicely made for cushioning when you put it down.

Cons:

It has a well-positioned top slot pocket which fits a passport just right. Unfortunately - and this is a HUGE FAIL - is has NO ZIPPER at all, only a tiny smidgen of velcro which barely holds it closed. This is huge minus as you can't put anything valuable here even temporarily and it will not keep out water if you have to walk in the rain. This would have been the perfect place to hold id and boarding pass, but it is unsafe to do it as it.

(This is especially erksome since the Keen Universal PDX bag DOES have a zipper here on this pocket. Honestly, I almost sent it back because of this.)

While the bag will fit a big 15-16" laptop, it will not quite fit a Eagle Creek 18" clothes folder. It's about an inch short. That would have been really nice, since then it would really be able to handle a couple of nights with business casual clothes.

The laptop compartment is solid, too, so you can't see through it. Having this viewable to TSA is a plus, and better bags have partial mesh or clear material so the laptop can be see while being scanned. While this has not been an issue for me before, it would be a good touch.

Also missing is mesh bag to hold your 3x5 plastic zip bag of jells & liquids. My Briggs & Riley has one, just opposite the laptop compartment, and is one of its nicer features. The first thing I did to this bag was mod it and velcro in a mesh bag just for this purpose.

Another missing feature is a loop on the back to pass through the handle of your rolling luggage bag, if you want to put it there instead of on your bag. You can (and I have) passed the sternum strap around to snap the shoulder pads that way, but that doesn't fit very snuggly.

Conclusion:

I'd give this bag 4 stars if it weren't for the inexcusable missing zipper on the outer top compartment that renders it useless. Overall, it seem robust and well constructed, with some nice touches. Time will tell as it gets some miles on it. It's not the quality of a Briggs and Riley, but then it isn't the price either. Perhaps Keen would consider making a bit more upscale version of this bag with some of those little but important features that road warriors have come to value.

3.0 out of 5 stars This Bag is Huge!, February 19, 2014
I wanted a large bag to carry books and a laptop. This bag is enormous. It looked ridiculous on me, so I returned it. It does have really nice pockets inside and lot of little compartments to keep things organized. This is a heavy-duty bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Endured an overseas travel!, November 4, 2012
I purchased this backpack for travel reasons. I used this as my carry-on luggage overseas, and it did endure the super strict,structured TSA checkpoint. It made it after tossing, turning, pulling and tagging from here to overseas and everywhere I went to on my short 4 week vacation. It's small enough to fit under the seat of the passenger in front of you..such convenience especially when you're at the window seat. Overall,I love this backpack bec of it's practical design, thoughtful organization consideration, the soft pockets for gadgets you don't want scratched of course( 15.5/16 inch ), well padded and so comfy (for a vertically challenged chic like me). It's such a winner! Great buy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for abag; sexist in size for me, September 15, 2014
I loved the layout of this bag. If you are female, I found the shoulders too wide (i am broad shouldered) and this re injured an outer shoulder injury because it didn't adjust. I would buy this female model in a heartbeat.