5.0 out of 5 stars 100 Dollars well spent
Even though these shoes are a bit expensive, I have never purchased a more comfortable or durable pair of shoes. Tough as nails. I have been using mine on a daily bassis for the past 18 months. I walk atleast 5 miles a day. Still holding up perfectly except for normal wear.
Published on October 20, 2005 by R. Subramanian

1.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable but poor quality
Mine is of very poor quality. Had the sandals for just over a year. Probably less than 5 months of use during Canadian summers.

Now the stitches are coming off in two locations [...]). I expected the sandals to last longer than than.
Published on July 12, 2011 by A Subramaniam

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 Dollars well spent, October 20, 2005
R. Subramanian (San Antonio, Texas United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars with a few drawbacks..., July 29, 2009
Jon Crosbie (Des Moines, Iowa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KEEN Men's Newport Sandal (Apparel)
If there's a few drawbacks then why not 4 or even 3 stars? Well, let me explain...

These sandals are fantastically comfortable and if you get the bison leather, they're actually stylish enough to wear out (well, stylish enough for me, anyways...some might disagree).

Comfort is a 10 out of 10, without question. Really, really nice.

Convenience is a 8 out of 10. Even with the leather ones, you can get them wet, get them muddy, jump in a lake, do whatever you feel like with them. All it takes is a spray down to get stuff off of them.

They get an 8 because of the funk factor - they need a soap every once in a while because they will get a little ripe. If your feet sweat, these sandals don't have quite enough ventilation to let it all out. The footbed is apparently anti-odor and, all-a-round, is about as good as you can get. If you have sweaty feet, you'll need to wash them, but washing them is easy. The lack of ventilation is what must be traded for the support and comfort these sandals offer. It's really not that big of a deal.

Use for hiking - well...that depends where you're hiking. Trails and rivers and things, they'd probably be 10/10. If, however, you are hiking anywhere with sand you need to leave these at home and herein lies the one flaw with the sandal: stuff that gets in the sandal does NOT get out.

This is because of the toe design which is great for, well, not hurting your toes. But when a rock gets caught in there, you've got to stop and take off the sandal to get it out. If you don't mind stopping occationally to take them off and shake them out, there are no problems.

This flaw also brings up one other minor, but possibly relevant, point to a certain demographic. If you are diabetic and are attracted to these sandals because of the toe guard, you need to look elsewhere. The toe guard is great, but if something gets caught in there, it might not be noticed and a rock in this sandal all day could do serious damage to diabetic feet.

Other than the rock thing, I couldn't ask for anything more.

With regard to the bison sandal - after they get wet a few times, the leather will start to fade a bit. If you like the color it fades to then never mind. But if you want them to look the way they did, I put some Doc Martins wonder balsam on them and got the same dark brown color they came with, no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best comfort and durability I have ever seen in a sandal, November 7, 2005
This review is from: KEEN Men's Newport Sandal (Apparel)
This is one of the most comfortable shoes or sandal I have ever owned. I first saw these on some ultralight backpackers I met in 2005, and they swore by them for comfort and strong enough to climb rough terrain. For a sandal, that just blew me away. I confess I have not used them to backpack, but I have used them on rough terrain and they are outstanding and amazingly "grippy". It has little nubs on the carbon outer sole that dig into or grip everything.
SIZING: I have read that most people find that they need to buy a half size larger than they do with other shoes, and that was my experience as well.
COMFORT: Tremendous arch support. The sandal has a wide toebox so that your toes are not cramped together, and the protective toe guard is great. I never stub a toe or catch a toe on anything with these, plus I can hide my ugly toes. It also has a little rise on the rear heel that cups your heel comfortably, but helps protect you against those people that step on the back of your foot in line. The sandal feels very secure once it is on and does not slip. There are no straps to fool with or Velcro to adjust, it has an inner lining that looks like the neoprene on a scuba suit, it stretches to fit. The rear strap does not hurt your foot. It has a no lace closure and you set it once, from then on it slips on easy. The footbed cradles my foot like no shoe I have ever seen. There is a little ridge on the inner sole that runs behind the toes and then in between your big toe and other toes, it turns out to add to the comfort of the shoe immensely. That ridge forms in a short time to your foot, giving you your own custom fit. With these shoes I find i can stand longer and walk longer.
GRIP AND TRACTION: It has an anatomical outer sole that is very grippy, with a nice athletic shape, it gives good traction on sand, rock, mud, you name it. It is not slippery on wet surfaces like the dock, and the sole does not leave any marks on floors. The tread does not hold dirt in any grooves to track indoors. It is great for water use, and can be completely submerged with no damage. If it gets wet,the material that wicks the water away fast.
ODOR: It has an anti-microbial treatment that takes away any germs, I do not know how long that treatment lasts though. They do not get sweaty or smelly like my Crocs do.
DURABILITY: I got my money's worth out of them for sure. When my H2's get dirty, I throw them in the sink, under the hose, or even in the washer and they come out like new. I wore these almost daily for 4 months straight with no evidence of wear. It has now been 4 years and I still use them more than any other shoe in the summer. I hope they are still made as durable as they were when I bought mine. This includes vacation, in which I am standing in line all day at theme parks and scrambling at the beach. These come in many colors. For a dressier sandal I also like the brown Dunham Moose Fisherman (actually designed by New Balance). These sandals were good enough to get me to buy two tennis shoes from the same company in the last 4 years, an in-town shoe called Austin and an ugly hiker called the Targhee II. In the end, I just can't say enough about these shoes, I highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trail Glove vs. Sonic Glove, September 27, 2011
I bought this shoe after my Trail Gloves were completely worn down after a couple hundred miles of trail running, and pavement running and walking. I purchased these for more barefoot pavement running. Perhaps this is because my Trail Gloves were completely worn down, but I noticed right away that there is much more shoe to the Sonic Glove. The top is not mesh, so it is a little more stiff and they don't breath as well as the Trail Glove, and the sole felt much more solid. I was expecting these to fit just like my Trail Gloves, but the break-in period was more difficult on my feet, even more so than the initial break-in period for my Trail Gloves. For a week and a half the right heel dug into my leg, and I could not wear these shoes unless I taped up the back of my heel. I found this odd just because the frame is so similar to the Trail Glove. Once I got past the break in period the shoes really began to feel great. I put a 25 mile run in mostly on pavement and some trail, and my feet and legs felt fine. Perhaps this is because my barefoot shoes were worn down so much, but I really felt that this shoe felt more like a "normal" sole rather than a barefoot sole.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sandals, June 9, 2004
Robb Phillips (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KEEN Men's Newport Sandal (Apparel)
I bought a pair and have not taken them off since. Easy to slip on and off these are the perfect pair for someone on the go. The unique toe guard protects your feet like no other sandal of this type. They also dry very quickly so if you spend a lot of time around water these could be the sandals for you. (Although the Newport H2's dry faster) To top it all off they feel great on my feet. Do yourself a favor and try these out you will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought them for CrossFit, November 25, 2011
I bought these shoes specifically for CrossFit and they have been excellent! They have helped all aspects of my fitness - my running form and weight lifting. They are super light and perfect for CrossFit!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great shoes, October 3, 2011
lots of arch support and ankle support are bad for your feet - all they do is weaken them and make you dependent on overly supportive shoes. i hike and run in these shoes, when its a little too wet out for vibram 5-fingers. these shoes hug your feet like ninja ballet shoes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Solid Shoe/Sandal Hybrid with a few quirks, May 2, 2007
Jacob "LittleJake" (Siloam Springs, Argentina) - See all my reviews
I got this shoe a few days ago, and these are my initial impressions

This is an amazing footwear product. It combines the ventilation and feel of a sandal, with the toe protection, and hiking ability of a solid shoe. It is quite amazing!

Furthermore, the only thing one needs to do to adjust the fit is pull and elastic cord. Its so easy.

Overall the shoe is very comfortable, with one exception. The strap that goes around the heel has chaffed the skin above my heel from the rubbing. I have never heard anyone else complain about this, so maybe I'm just an exception. I don't know.

Another quirk is that the shoe is labelled as waterproof. I fail to see how this is the case, since the leather does absorb water and takes a long time to dry. And obviously the shoe itself is not impervious to water since it has all the holes. So, definitely not waterproof in the traditional sense. Maybe they mean that the leather can withstand water. I'm just not sure what to make of this claim.

Third quirk is that the metatarsal ridges that are supposed to define where the toes go. Instead of being in the space between the foot and toes, the ridges rest in the middle of the toes, which causes an uncomfortable feeling for a while. I have heard this from others, so I know I'm not the only one here. Its strange that Keen would develop such an amazing shoe and then put the metatarsal ridges too far forward.

Overall, a very versatile shoe. You can run, hike, walk, or use it as a house shoe. Quite amazing.

I heartily recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, July 22, 2009
This review is from: KEEN Men's Newport Sandal (Apparel)
These were the original Keen sandals and the first pair of Keens I ever bought. I think the Keen line has surpassed this sandal now.

1) Looks. Copied by a dozen other copy cats now, but they were the originals! They had this funky look to them, which was basically a shoe with a lot of holes cut into it and gave it a very tough look, a very macho sandal. Quite stylish and still very striking, only time will tell if this look has legs.

2) Design. A very good design and a very good idea: leather sandals with a very thick and strong sole. Nice drawstrings instead of laces or velcro.

3) Comfort and function. This is where I think the new Keens surpass this one most. I wore this casually for the longest time and I was the first to be surprised when I found them tiring for long hikes. A supportive hiking shoe was what they were advertised for, right? But I found the sole to be unforgiving (not enough support) and the leather sandal too heavy. I've never worn them for hikes since then. Other complaints I've heard around the web include: hard to dry out when wet, should not really be used as an aquasock; and things like sand, cone needles and other things get in them when walking in the woods and beaches.

So to summarize, this was a great new design, but I think best to be worn casually. Looks >> function for this first Keen, but I still like them very much. My Newports are over 2 years old now (or more), but they are still in very good shape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back pain Free ... well worth the price, December 18, 2012
Ok, so I won't give you a long review, this is my second pair of Merrell series shoes. I picked this model because of its feature for being windproof. So I am using these as my winter running shoes. So far they have repelled the shallow water puddles also; I avoid the deeper ones. These have shoes fit true to my standard shoe size, I like the natural wide toe base and yet be quite snug around the foot to limit slipping. A word of caution for those looking to change to these, I will only echo what many other websites and people have said. If these shoes are your first barefoot experience, give them about 3-4 weeks for you feet to get used to how they will move with them and then gradually build up your running distance. I am currently running 6-7 miles with zero issues in my back. Lower back pain was something that would normally limit and slow down my pace with standard running shoes of different "arch" support; but now I am just getting general soreness in the knees and hips from trying to build new muscles. For people that have chronic LBP, please try walking around barefoot and allow your body to fix the alignment issues you might have in your body. Alignment starts in the feet, then ankles, then knees, then hips, then your back; but it all starts in your feet. I will continue to purchase this brand of shoe. I use my old merrells right now for lounging around and running errands.

KEEN Men's Newport Sandal