5.0 out of 5 stars Owyhees - Best Closed-Toe Sandals Ever
I have had Teva open-toed water sandals for years. These are very comfortable and cool for summer activities. I used them for sailing large boats and dinghies and also for hiking. Unfortunately, at this point, the big toe on each foot is starting to show wear from getting jammed all the time. So I determined that I need a pair of closed-toe sandals.

First I...
Published on October 1, 2012 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong size/bad design
Seems to be a great sandal; however there is a slight flaw with the design. The strap that wraps the outside of the pinky toe is positioned in such a location that it cuts into your toe. I wear a size 12 and perhaps I should have gotten a size larger, but I ended up with a different style of sandal...still Keens though.
Published 18 months ago by jeff.b

5.0 out of 5 stars Owyhees - Best Closed-Toe Sandals Ever, October 1, 2012
This review is from: KEEN Men's Owyhee Sandal (Apparel)

First I bought the Teva Omnium. These were horrible summer shoes. They were hotter than my running shoes with no socks.

Then I tried the Keen Newport. Better, but still too hot. Then I tried Venice. Too hot, and the heels popped off my feet way too easily.

Then I tried Hydro Guides. This felt great and were cool, but looks...? Significant other promised that if I ever wore those, there would be no "quality time" for me.

Finally tried Owyhees. These are the ones. They're still not as cool as open-toed sandals, but they're by far the coolest of all the closed-toe sandals I've tried (except the HydroGuides. And man are they comfortable. And they stay on very well due to the moving strap across the heel (as opposed to the Newports, Venices, etc).

I've used them now for sailing, hiking, and on mountain biking/camping trips.

Great shoes. Don't ever stop making them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner?, April 23, 2012
This review is from: KEEN Men's Owyhee Sandal (Apparel)
I ordered these Keen Owyhee Sandals to replace a pair of Keen Newport H2s that were wearing out after nearly two years of daily wear. The attraction of the Owyhee design? The enclosed back heel. When I am hiking, my "standard" Keens routinely end up with a pebble, leaf, seedpod, etc. entering through the heel. I then have to stop, remove the shoe, shake out the debris and start again.

So far, the mesh enclosure of the back heel seems to work fairly well. Debris can still enter the shoe from the openings on the side of the shoe, but it is relatively rare.

The Owyhees are a bit narrower and slightly shorter than the same size Newports, so you may want to go up a half size. The tightening system seems to work better than the Newports.

Overall, I would say these new Keens are another winner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but slow to dry, September 3, 2011
This review is from: KEEN Men's Owyhee Sandal (Apparel)
Tested these sandals in many terrains. Comfortable, hard wearing, good foot protection, but slow to dry when wet. Sweaty in hot weather.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong size/bad design, July 22, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy wear!, March 8, 2013
This review is from: KEEN Men's Owyhee Sandal (Apparel)
Put them on and wear them, no break-in necessary. Excellent fit but as another reviewer said, get them one half size bigger than you normally wear. I walked miles in these sandals the first day I got them with no problem what so ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sandal with closed heel, February 25, 2013
This review is from: KEEN Men's Owyhee Sandal (Apparel)
Comfortable and fits well. However a little surprised that comparing to Newport sandals, you can see a lot more skin through the straps. Not a big concern as you get used to it very quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars bursted bubble, September 10, 2012
This review is from: KEEN Men's Owyhee Sandal (Apparel)
Bought these for my husband to wear white water rafting. He just went this past weekend and wore the shoes for the first time. One shoe is coming apart in two different places. They fit his wide feet and he says they are very comfortable, but the stitching is coming apart already. Since I bought them for him for Father's Day we can not return them, or at least not for a full refund or replacement. Disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sandals, May 30, 2012
Reeper (Western desert USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KEEN Men's Owyhee Sandal (Apparel)
I have several Keen sandals and this model is my first.I thought i'd try this out thinking it would be just as good as my Keen Newport H2.

Well it kinda is but i'm not a big fan of the lace because its not elastic/stretchable like the Newports.Its mainly a personal preference on my part and might not be bothersome to other people.

I prefer the stretching type laces so i can crank it enough that when i take a step it does not flop up and down around the heel.So far this and the Arroyos use the same type of lace and having the same results on me.

Other than that its a great sandal and its almost like a shoe since the heel is covered.Very comfortable and if you have flat feet still gives you support on your arches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort, good fit, June 17, 2014
This review is from: KEEN Men's Owyhee Sandal (Apparel)
Very comfortable and supportive. Feels almost like a hiking shoe. Great summer footwear--hiking, walking around. Look good with shorts or jeans.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 tight @ arch, October 14, 2012
This review is from: KEEN Men's Owyhee Sandal (Apparel)
They are well made, had everything I wanted in a pair of sandels. The only problem I had was the width at the arch.
I was a bit surprized, I didnt read anything about this in other reviews but I cant be the only one. It wasnt the footbed arch support but the sides (straps) it was so tight on my feet at that area it was painful. I wore them around the house for a few days but there was no signs of them giving in. I ended up returning them and got a pair of teva's, I've had them before so I knew they would work.
This was my first pair of Keen sandels (I have Keen boots and they'er fine), so I recomend if your feet are wide (not high or flat) at the arch area like mine find something else!

KEEN Men's Owyhee Sandal