5.0 out of 5 stars More comfortable than I thought possible
Published on July 26, 2012 by David Garth

2.0 out of 5 stars THEY ARE HOT AND NON-WATERPROOF
I wouldn't recommend this working shoes if you have to work outside with no a/c, this make my feet warm all the time AND they are NOT waterproof. they are confortable if you live in cold weather they might be good for you
Published 16 months ago by FRED

5.0 out of 5 stars More comfortable than I thought possible, July 26, 2012
David Garth (San Luis Obispo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have never owned a pair of workbooks in my life before this pair. I'm an older, retired administrator now persuing my lifelong passion of photography. I've been hired to do photography on a large construction site, and the safety people insist that I wear steel-toed work boots--no exceptions! I didn't need another pair of boots, but reluctantly I visited my favorite shoe store. They recommended these Keens because of their comfort and looks. I bought them there ( same price as Amazon) and wore them full-time for the next three days.

I'm used to wearing comfortable and relatively expensive walking shoes and hiking boots (Merrill and Ecco). Like many seniors, its gotten more difficult to find really comfortble shoes as I've gotten older.

Without a doubt, these Keens are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. They seem slightly narrower in the heel area to hold onto your foot, and wider and roomier in the front half of the shoe for more comfort and air circulation. They breath well even thought they are waterproof. And the foam cushioning is superior to anything I've experienced. Even after a day walking around on concrete, my feet aren't too fatigued (the rest of me is, however.)

Imagine my surprise when I realized that boots I was forced to buy and never would have even looked at voluntarily are now my "new best favorites."

This experience may not be relevant to those doing really hard work in these boots, but for me, they've been a Godsend.

2.0 out of 5 stars THEY ARE HOT AND NON-WATERPROOF, August 31, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Waterproof!, July 22, 2013
John S. (Tulsa, Ok United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keen Utility Men's Detroit Low Steel Toe Shoe (Apparel)
I spent about 10 mins today in a light rain when I noticed my socks were drenched. I didnt step in any puddles so the shoes were not submerged in water. These shoes might hold up ok in wet grass but they are definitly not "waterproof" as advertised by Keen. Very disapointing!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good on concrete, April 11, 2014
I have to walk on a concrete floor everyday. The next morning after rolling out of bed, I noticed the bottom of my feet were sore. I tried to wear then for another 3 or 4 days and it was the same thing. I put me old pair back on and my feet stopped hurting. If this shoe had padding on the inside of the shoe, I would recommend this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not water proof, October 6, 2013
The shoe is good but is less than water proof and a little big. The steel toe has already come in handy

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Work Boots I've Ever Owned, March 26, 2013
Amazon Customer (Portland, OR, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keen Utility Men's Detroit Low Steel Toe Shoe (Apparel)
These are the best work boots I've ever owned. I am a builder, I am on my feet most of the day, working hard. In the past five years I have struggled to find comfort in boots, in that time I have had 5 different pairs of work boots, from $65 to $200 a pair. In the past 20 years I have had 12 pairs of steel toes. If you work hard you should be surprised to get more than a year or two out of your boots, and if you are wearing old boots you are probably not doing your feet any favors.
Of all the boots I have worn, and tried, these are the most comfortable and supportive I have experienced. I was shocked that they were so comfortable right out of the box, no time needed to break them in, although after a week they are slightly more relaxed.
I use to dread putting my old boots on, I genuinely look forward to putting these on and going to work.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice boot, January 6, 2013
Steve M (New Milford, CT USA) - See all my reviews
I bought these boots to get me through the winter. I hate boots that go over the ankles so I was looking for a boot that felt like a sneaker but protected like a boot. This came close but didn't quite fit the bill. I did give it a high rating because it did do exactly what it says it is going to do. It just didn't fit my specific needs. The shoe is comfortable but only with thick boot socks. I tried it with regular white athletic socks and I felt it needed a bit more cushioning. It protected my foot well and when I tested it on snow and ice it gave excellent traction and kept my foot dry and warm. However, for my tastes it was a bit too heavy. I wanted something light for everyday use and the Detroit was really heavy and without the thick sock it would have felt uncomfortable. I returned them and bought the KEEN Men's Targhee II Waterproof Trail Boot. This "boot" fit my needs and was comfortable and light and protected my foot well from the elements. I don't doubt that the Keen Utility is a well made boot it just doesn't fit my exact needs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shoe!, February 19, 2014
These shoes are more than I expected. I wear them every day for work. Sometimes 13 hours a day. Feels like I am wearing a comfortable pair of sneakers from the first time I put them on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, May 11, 2013
This review is from: Keen Utility Men's Detroit Low Steel Toe Shoe (Apparel)
Pros: Big toe area. Very comfortable. Durable build. Light and easy to move in. Great for cement and industrial environment. Available in sizes up to 15 extra wide (I am size 15 extra wide, so this makes a big difference for me.) ESD safe and has safety toe.

Cons: Soles only last 6-12 months before wearing down. Very short lifespan- 3 months of daily use and you will notice a difference. Fairly expensive. Not ankle supportive. Not good for highly athletic stuff or climbing where there is side to side movement as it will "roll" easily, great with normal and forward movement.

In the end I order these and other Keens again and again. This particular shoe is of good quality build, not all Keens are built so well. Keep away from the ones that do not have leather (trail running), they are usually very quick to fall apart. I almost never untie these shoes, I just slip in and out with little effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can walk again!, December 17, 2014
I purchased these after many days of standing for hours in my expensive semi-dress work shoes in a manufacturing plant. My feet ached so badly I could barely walk to and from the office or parking lot. In the morning I dreaded putting on my shoes which in all of my years of working (40 plus yrs) had never happened before. These shoes are a dream, they fit perfectly, they look good, they are like walking on pillows but with fantastic support. I have been wearing these everyday for over a two months, 10 to 12 hours a day and walking over 2 miles each day and when I put them on in the morning they feel like they did the first time I tried them on ......FANTASTIC!

Keen Utility Men's Detroit Low Steel Toe Shoe